NMU 2011-12 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NMU 2011-12 Season Thread

For chatter that doesn't quite belong in the weekly threads.

Hey Mojo, was that you that yelled out Goat-Fart to this kid...
    http://www.twitlonger.com/show/dnpdqg

My first game back playing was a non-conference game in Northern Michigan. An article was published earlier that week explaining "Goepfert-Gate" and my mistakes. After the anthem was sung, a student yelled, "Hey Goat-Fart, who's writing your papers now!?" And so this was my cross to bare.

And for other NMU related news. Not sure how many saw this in the Alumni section, but Sid Vicious was named player/assistant coach by his UK Elite League team.
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Re: NMU 2011-12 Season Thread

So far I've been very impressed, what surprises me the most is the scoring coming from everyone. Also anyword on if seckel is out friday, and if so can the league review it?
    NMU

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
      For chatter that doesn't quite belong in the weekly threads.

Hey Mojo, was that you that yelled out Goat-Fart to this kid...
      http://www.twitlonger.com/show/dnpdqg

And for other NMU related news. Not sure how many saw this in the Alumni section, but Sid Vicious was named player/assistant coach by his UK Elite League team.

Cross to bare? I think he means, "cross to bear". Maybe he should keep plagiarizing.

Truly, I like this team. This is the most scoring depth that I have seen in my time following Wildcat Hockey. This is the most excited I have been about ta team this early in the year by a long shot. If they keep playing the way they are, this will be a team that will get the bye and host a 2nd round match up.
      Always a Wildcat...
      Originally posted by Kepler
      If you quote the derp you are spreading the derp. Please help keep the board derp-free.

Comment

Originally posted by NMUFAN21 View Post
        So far I've been very impressed, what surprises me the most is the scoring coming from everyone. Also anyword on if seckel is out friday, and if so can the league review it?
        Seckel was DQ'd and will be out Friday. When the league makes a review, they can add to the discipline, but they will never retract from what has already been ruled. It's a one way street. And that's not just the CCHA, that's NCAA.
        "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Wow... after a win and a tie against Michigan, they are still polling 10 places ahead of us. Also suprised to see them polling above all the other CCHA teams. I expected to see us a bit higher and them a bit lower. It doesnt make sense to beat a team like that so early in the season and still have them polling higher than us. Anyone care to share something I am missing here?
          Go Cats!

Comment

The polls are written by people who think they know hockey. Prime example is that Yale University is still ranked #10 in the nation (per USCHO) even though it has only played just ONE exhibition game. And it LOST that exhibition game. Inside College Hockey has Yale ranked #4!

Is Yale a good team? Probably. Are they so good that they should be ranked with zero games played? Probably not. Is there a better way to rank teams? Not really.

What will ultimately be the best predictor of the post season is the RPI/Pairwise rankings, but it's still way to early to be looking into those. Not much non-conference play has happened, and very little conference play has taken place so far. But for giggles: http://siouxsports.com/hockey/rankings/rpi/ The RPI starts to take shape around the start of the new year, after all the holiday tourneys get the majority of any remaining non-conference games out of the way.

I'd rather look at the wildly fluctuating RPI rankings till the end of the season than I would worry about polls.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by noremorse1 View Post
              Wow... after a win and a tie against Michigan, they are still polling 10 places ahead of us. Also suprised to see them polling above all the other CCHA teams. I expected to see us a bit higher and them a bit lower. It doesnt make sense to beat a team like that so early in the season and still have them polling higher than us. Anyone care to share something I am missing here?
              You have to remember that there were alot of other schools between NMU and Michigan, all with similar records. I didn't think NMU would rise any higher than 12 or 13, although I did think Michigan might drop a few sports more, maybe to around 7.
              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                Seckel was DQ'd and will be out Friday. When the league makes a review, they can add to the discipline, but they will never retract from what has already been ruled. It's a one way street. And that's not just the CCHA, that's NCAA.
                Alright, thanks for the information. From the vantage point I had it looked like a late hit at most, it looked like more shoulder to shoulder then shoulder to head.
                NMU

Comment

Originally posted by NMUFAN21 View Post
                  Alright, thanks for the information. From the vantage point I had it looked like a late hit at most, it looked like more shoulder to shoulder then shoulder to head.
                  In defense of the officials, in real time, it looked like a head shot. I would have called it the same way. But video review shows different.

Comment

Originally posted by noremorse1 View Post
                    I'm not surprised. Besides, the polls don't really matter anyway. As aparch said, in about a month or so it'll be time to start watching the RPI and Pairwise, which really decides things. The polls are just to keep the casual fan in supply of numbers to throw around.
                    Always a Wildcat...
                    If you quote the derp you are spreading the derp. Please help keep the board derp-free.

Comment

If anything, I see getting snubbed by the polls as an good thing. Since RPI/Pairwise is the only thing that counts anyways, having opposition underestimate the 'cats only works to their advantage (to take a page out of Sun Tzu).
                      NMU '10

Comment

Just thought I'd bring the shootout talk on the WMU-NMU series thread over here.

Will the shootout disappear with the CCHA in two years? Personally I hope so.

Comment

Originally posted by NMUFAN View Post
                          Just thought I'd bring the shootout talk on the WMU-NMU series thread over here.

Will the shootout disappear with the CCHA in two years? Personally I hope so.
                          Can't see the remaining WCHA teams being on board with it. Honestly, I think it will follow to the BTHC, as does another UofM fan I've talked with about this, and we won't see it anymore.
                          Always a Wildcat...

Comment

Originally posted by nmupiccdiva View Post
                            Can't see the remaining WCHA teams being on board with it. Honestly, I think it will follow to the BTHC, as does another UofM fan I've talked with about this, and we won't see it anymore.
                            Makes sense, with how Anastos, with Michigan/Michigan State at the forefront, tried to emulate itself most after the NHL. Three shootout shooters, the shootout, first league to adopt/test NHL-esque rules.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

I know Walt never liked it. I'm curious how the other CCHA schools that will be in the WCHA like it since there will be more CCHA members than WCHA members. (If it came to a vote).

Somewhat unrelated, is the plan for the future WCHA to keep Mcleod as commish?

Comment

Working...
                              X