NMU 2011-12 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NMU 2011-12 Season Thread

I'm new to this forum, so I'll just introduce myself as someone who has been following NMU hockey off and on since the beginning of its program in the late 1970s: Laidlaw, Weeks, Joyce, Waddell, Mielke, Bozek, the Kyle brothers, Coach Comley, etc. But enough of the past, what happened to the good start the 'Cats got off to this year and why for the last several years do they not get enough SOG? This year I have been watching online when I can and went to the Saturday 10-29 game at WMU. Northern was outplayed in that WMU game, but hung tough to score a couple of goals--both of which were scrums in front of the net, forcing them in as a couple of you have observed. NMU had a tough time transitioning out of their own zone that night and did not control the puck very well in the offensive zone. Why all the penalties this year? They seem to be constantly fighting their way out of a hole. The OSU series must have been a big disappointment all the way around--outshot over 2 to 1 on the weekend and 53 minutes in total penalties. With MSU coming to Marquette this weekend after sweeping WMU, the 'Cats will have to play their best if they want to get any points on the weekend; they're already 9 points behind league leading Lake State, ND & OSU. Can they turn things around after no wins in 7 games?
    NMU Hockey Since 1976 ...there at the beginning.

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Comment

I haven't seen it brought up on here yet, but Phil Fox and Erik Spady are playing together in the CHL for the Texas Brahmas. Phil is second on the team in points and Erik is at a solid +7. Pretty cool, if you ask me.

http://chl-texas.stats.pointstreak.c...tml?1193691530
      Wildcat Hockey!

B.S. NMU 11'
      M.B.A. Marquette University 13'

Comment

Originally posted by aygwm2 View Post
        I'm new to this forum, so I'll just introduce myself as someone who has been following NMU hockey off and on since the beginning of its program in the late 1970s: Laidlaw, Weeks, Joyce, Waddell, Mielke, Bozek, the Kyle brothers, Coach Comley, etc. But enough of the past, what happened to the good start the 'Cats got off to this year and why for the last several years do they not get enough SOG? This year I have been watching online when I can and went to the Saturday 10-29 game at WMU. Northern was outplayed in that WMU game, but hung tough to score a couple of goals--both of which were scrums in front of the net, forcing them in as a couple of you have observed. NMU had a tough time transitioning out of their own zone that night and did not control the puck very well in the offensive zone. Why all the penalties this year? They seem to be constantly fighting their way out of a hole. The OSU series must have been a big disappointment all the way around--outshot over 2 to 1 on the weekend and 53 minutes in total penalties. With MSU coming to Marquette this weekend after sweeping WMU, the 'Cats will have to play their best if they want to get any points on the weekend; they're already 9 points behind league leading Lake State, ND & OSU. Can they turn things around after no wins in 7 games?
        Welcome to the forum! Can they turn things around? Certainly! No wins in 7 games, but 3 ties and five points in CCHA play. The 9 points differential is a three game deficit, so it's not as daunting as it seems. Western did a great job bottling up NMU, but the Cats did hang tough. The OSU series was definitely a very frustrating one in every aspect of the game. Hopefully home ice, where the Cats are unbeaten (3-0-3) this season will give them a much needed boost over the next four games and 5 of 7 before Christmas!
        "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Well another player got in trouble for the whole bike thing. I presume most of you read the puck daddy blog, it was very disappointing reading it today.
          NMU

Comment

I dunno. Now the whole Puck Daddy readership knows about Northern Michigan University. Such nationwide publicity is hard to get!

Oh, right. The actual crimes committed. Yes, it is very disappointing; it's a black mark on what had looked to be a great team.
            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

http://www.thenorthwindonline.com/?p=3862885

The rest of the charges have been made and the Northwind reports Vigier has also been charged. Hopefully this will not be too much of a distraction going from here on out. It will be interesting to see how this all ends up panning out.

Comment

After reading that police report one thing sticks in my mind, "OHHHHHHHHHHH SHIRLEY IS A **** COP, **** COP, **** COP! SHIRLEY IS A **** COP, **** COP, **** COP, OH WON'T YOU HANDCUFF ME!" I guess someone should have informed them that although the Puckheads may sing that song, the goal is to actually NOT get arrested by Shirley. So feel free to place the blame on us or on; bad parenting, poor team discipline (on and off ice), general ****** baggery, or in the case of one obvious stupidity (seriously, you're going to steal a pen from Public Safety right after getting questioned about stealing a bike!?) Honestly if you're going to give the program a black eye at least do it at the level of tOSU or the U. At least those guys included tattoos and hookers in their supreme screw up. Stealing bikes just makes the team look like it's filled with dbag high school bullies, even more so with several of the bikes being girls bikes. On the upside, the bad press causing fear of having your bike stolen by a jock may actually do us all a favor as I has the potential to cut down on the number of hipsters enrolling at NMU, due to a fear of them having their eco friendly mode of transportation jacked by a jock. (No pun or Penn State reference intended on that last part, as stealing bikes is bad but molesting little boys in the shower is WAY WAY worse and not nearly as cool as hookers and tattoos)
                Bored kids+matches+vacant school= this http://dakleinbushteacher.shutterfly.com/438

Head half shaven for a week=Free
                NMU Vs. BGSU Tickets=Free
                Bottle of 5 o'clock-$8
                Shaving your head everytime Sigalet lets in a WILDCAT goal and having MOJO chant HALF-A-MULLET=Priceless

"Pat Bateman will eat your f*ing babies!!!"

05-06 A NEW GENERATION OF PUCKHEADS

Farmer JO official get away driver of Bell-Gate 05`

Comment

Originally posted by dankthetank View Post
                  After reading that police report one thing sticks in my mind, "OHHHHHHHHHHH SHIRLEY IS A **** COP, **** COP, **** COP! SHIRLEY IS A **** COP, **** COP, **** COP, OH WON'T YOU HANDCUFF ME!" I guess someone should have informed them that although the Puckheads may sing that song, the goal is to actually NOT get arrested by Shirley. So feel free to place the blame on us or on; bad parenting, poor team discipline (on and off ice), general ****** baggery, or in the case of one obvious stupidity (seriously, you're going to steal a pen from Public Safety right after getting questioned about stealing a bike!?) Honestly if you're going to give the program a black eye at least do it at the level of tOSU or the U. At least those guys included tattoos and hookers in their supreme screw up. Stealing bikes just makes the team look like it's filled with dbag high school bullies, even more so with several of the bikes being girls bikes. On the upside, the bad press causing fear of having your bike stolen by a jock may actually do us all a favor as I has the potential to cut down on the number of hipsters enrolling at NMU, due to a fear of them having their eco friendly mode of transportation jacked by a jock. (No pun or Penn State reference intended on that last part, as stealing bikes is bad but molesting little boys in the shower is WAY WAY worse and not nearly as cool as hookers and tattoos)
                  Needs more hookers and tattoos!!!
                  It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

if there is a series where the 'Cats need to make a statement, this is it. lets go 'Cats!
                    NMU '10

Comment

Originally posted by dankthetank View Post
                      At least those guys included tattoos and hookers in their supreme screw up.
                      In the players defense, would you go to a Marquette hooker? The answer is probably no.
                      Thinking that NMU is way better then your school with no evidence or proof since 2001.

Comment

What looked to be a very promising season is slowly slipping away... They can't afford to lose to teams like state or osu. Cats absolutely need to win tomorrow.
                        NMU

Comment

walt kyle my ***

Comment

Originally posted by Cat Country View Post
                            http://www.thenorthwindonline.com/?p=3862885

The rest of the charges have been made and the Northwind reports Vigier has also been charged. Hopefully this will not be too much of a distraction going from here on out. It will be interesting to see how this all ends up panning out.
                            wow! Sure looks like little Walter has control of this team. NOT!!! HEY HO! WALT HAS GOT TO gO!

Comment

Right on cue...guess who is back. To steal a line from someone... This is why we can't have nice things.
                              Cat Chat, The U.P's best College Sports Show. Check us out at www.catchattv.org

Born a Black Bear
                              1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012

A NMU Wildcat for Life
                              1980 1981 1989 1991 1992 1993 1999 2010

NMU Hockey
                              2006-2007: 15-24-2
                              2007-2008: 20-20-4
                              2008-2009: 18-16-5

1903 1912 1915 1916 1918 2004 2007

Comment

I just read the "puck-daddy" http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...rn=nhl-wp17655 piece on the OSU student section concerning the NMU "bike-gate" incident. I first found out about this occurrence ten days ago on the Chicago Tribune's website of all places. I don't know, I think this entire "bike-gate" thing has most likely been blown way out of proportion. I'm not advocating stealing, and the players should be honoring their scholarships, and I guess the players need to suffer the consequences of their actions once law enforcement discovered some college student riding a girls bike. Do the Marquette Police or Campus Safety officers pull over every male student they see on a girls bike? But, couldn't this entire event been handled in a much different way by law enforcement, whether the perpetrators were college hockey players, NMU students in general, or Marquette high school students, or what-have-you? Is there some kind of bike cartel in Marquette these days that law enforcement is hyper-vigilant about? This is not about what kind of control Coach Kyle has over his players; this is about 19 and 20 year olds continuing to be 19 and 20 year olds, or maybe 15 and 16 year olds. And perhaps thinking they have a little carte blanche around campus and Marquette. Now they've learned, just as we all do eventually--it just takes some of us longer than others.

Anyway, this made me think of an incident that happened back in the late 1970's or so. I was working at the Ramada Inn in downtown Marquette and one hockey weekend the Ohio State Bugeyes were in town staying at the Ramada. Well, like good little 19 to 20 year old Bugeye hockey players might do, they trashed the Inn's pool that Friday night and Saturday morning. They threw chairs and tables and soap and what ever they could into the pool and I think the Ramada had a jacuzzi or whirlpool back in those days and they mucked that up as well--acting like the rock-star example of the day. I don't remember exactly what the repercussions of the incident were, but I do know that the Ramada management banned the team from staying at the Inn after that.

So, without belaboring the point, I guess s*** like this just happens--in the long and short of it life goes on and the hockey game gets played. You might just have to sit on the bench or in the stands or behind bars at the Marquette County Jail for a few games. I wonder where the Ohio State hockey team has to stay when their in Marquette these days--who cares, after the 2012-2013 season NMU probably won't see the Bugeyes any longer.
                                Last edited by aygwm2; 11-19-2011, 04:01 PM.
                                NMU Hockey Since 1976 ...there at the beginning.

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Comment

Working...
                                X