NMU 2011-12 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NMU 2011-12 Season Thread

And so it begins. Twitter is starting to buzz with opposing band ideas.

Not going to add fuel to the fire by repeating them here.
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Sorry . . . just couldn't help myself.

I am glad to see that Intro to Film is well attended by the NMU hockey team . . . but perhaps they should keep this classic post-war Italian film from the rotation, at least for the time being:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_Thieves

Comment

I would just like to state that maybe the players in question were under the assumption that they were participating in ASNMU's "Bike Sharing" program:

http://www.uppermichiganssource.com/...1#.Trri2zDXFVs

Members of the Associated Students of NMU are working on a sustainable transportation program. The plan is to make bikes available to students at no cost. They'll check them out, use them as long as they need, and then return them.

ASNMU hopes to use bikes that are left behind by students at the beginning of winter, when students are asked to remove their bikes from the bike racks.

The bikes that are left are usually donated to area charities.

ASNMU wants to use only a small number of bikes at first and expand as the program gains in popularity.
        So let's not jump to conclusions just yet.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Bad weekend. Too many Penalties (too many misconducts also) and not enough shots, I'd expect for Cats to be unranked come Monday. They're just going to have to rebound after this weekend, after this they need to sweep State next weekend.

Go Cats.
            NMU

Comment

Originally posted by NMUFAN21 View Post
              Bad weekend. Too many Penalties (too many misconducts also) and not enough shots, I'd expect for Cats to be unranked come Monday. They're just going to have to rebound after this weekend, after this they need to sweep State next weekend.

Go Cats.
              I honestly felt that if we let Ohio State win either night, we would fall off the polls. After this weekend, they have some work to do to rise back in the polls. The biggest thing that plagued us this weekend, just as it did vs ND and WMU, is the lack of shots. We let ND get triple the shots on goal we had one night, double the next. This weekend we were doubled each night. I feel like the Cats are trying to set up the perfect shot each time. It also seems that, sometimes, they switch out lines awfully quick as soon as th e puck makes it to the other side. By the time the line is reset, they are back on defense. I don't doubt the Cats for one second, and do not mean to sound like I am ragging/*****ing here. Penalties are always going to be with something we deal with. We are the Cats after all. However, we need to take more shots. Even junk shots sneak by. They also don't get sucked up and set up other shots.

With that said, it is better to take a few bad losses this time of year than after the holiday break. I know Walt is going to get in the boys *** this weekend and get them motivated. I expect a sweep of MSU . Lets go Cats!!
              Go Cats!

Comment

Originally posted by noremorse1 View Post
                I honestly felt that if we let Ohio State win either night, we would fall off the polls. After this weekend, they have some work to do to rise back in the polls. The biggest thing that plagued us this weekend, just as it did vs ND and WMU, is the lack of shots. We let ND get triple the shots on goal we had one night, double the next. This weekend we were doubled each night. I feel like the Cats are trying to set up the perfect shot each time. It also seems that, sometimes, they switch out lines awfully quick as soon as th e puck makes it to the other side. By the time the line is reset, they are back on defense. I don't doubt the Cats for one second, and do not mean to sound like I am ragging/*****ing here. Penalties are always going to be with something we deal with. We are the Cats after all. However, we need to take more shots. Even junk shots sneak by. They also don't get sucked up and set up other shots.

With that said, it is better to take a few bad losses this time of year than after the holiday break. I know Walt is going to get in the boys *** this weekend and get them motivated. I expect a sweep of MSU . Lets go Cats!!
                Shots in the ND series were 27-21 on Friday, with scoring chances about even. On Saturday, they were 45-22. This weekend, quite frankly, the shots weren't there for the taking. Attempt to take shots that aren't there and you end up with odd man rushed the other way. There were maybe two or three times where an open opportunity was not taken for the weekend.
                Last edited by davyd83; 11-13-2011, 05:56 PM.
                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                  Shots in the ND series were 27-21 on Friday, with scoring chances about even. On Saturday, they were 45-22. This weekend, quite frankly, the shots weren't there for the taking. Attempt to take shots that aren't there and you end up with odd man rushed the other way. There were maybe two or three times where an open opportunity was not taken for the weekend.
                  I reversed the shots for each night during the ND series. Friday night the gap got smaller in the 3rd. Going into it, I think they had substantially less.

So the shots were not there this weekend. Well, then I guess we need to find ways to create the opportunity for shots. You can defend it as you do, and believe me... I love the Cats, but we are not getting many shots on goal. Granted, having so many penalties has a lot to do with that. Regardless, it is hard to win a games with 13 shots on goal.
                  Go Cats!

Comment

I reversed the shots for each night during the ND series. Friday night the gap got smaller in the 3rd. Going into it, I think they had substantially less.

So the shots were not there this weekend. Well, then I guess we need to find ways to create the opportunity for shots. You can defend it as you do, and believe me... I love the Cats, but we are not getting many shots on goal. Granted, having so many penalties has a lot to do with that. Regardless, it is hard to win a games with 13 shots on goal.
                    I'm not at all defending them. After putting up 8 goals in the series against UM and St Cloud, they have only put up 4, 3 and 2 in the last 3 series. They had great difficulty generating opportunities against both Western and OSU. I thought they did a pretty good job against Notre Dame. Though they were out shot both nights, you cannot just look at the raw number of shots on goal. If you look at the number of quality scoring chances, they were virtually equal in the Friday night ND game, and there was not a great disparity on Saturday. with many of Notre Dame's shots coming from the perimeter. There is no doubt that this weekend in Columbus was NMU's poorest weekend of the season. There was very little to like about it in any phase of the game. NMU may have to go even more to a defense first game plan with the possibility of Cherniwchan being out for a while. They will really have to maximize their opportunities.
                    Last edited by davyd83; 11-13-2011, 07:46 PM.
                    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                      NMU may have to go even more to a defense first game plan with the possibility of Cherniwchan being out for a while. They will really have to maximize their opportunities.
                      What is the latest word on him? I heard you make the call when he took "the extremely long walk" to the locker room going off with an injury, but I didn't hear anything else.
                      Go Cats!

Comment

What is the latest word on him? I heard you make the call when he took "the extremely long walk" to the locker room going off with an injury, but I didn't hear anything else.
                        No new info until he undergoes a full exam. Hopefully Walt will have some updated info on the show tomorrow night.

Comment

I am familiar and understand the breakdown of "quality" scoring chances versus the raw SOG tally... But how many scoring chances were missed because a d-man on the blueline hesitates because "my lane was closed?" or a forward didn't want to get dirty so instead of following the rush to get to the net, they lollygag and never MAKE a scoring chance?

Enough bullish** excuses for the timid players. Fire the *ing puck, and MAKE some scoring chances.

Because otherwise, "quality scoring chances" makes our amazing goaltending duo look like sh** when scoring chances are the same when we still lose.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                            I am familiar and understand the breakdown of "quality" scoring chances versus the raw SOG tally... But how many scoring chances were missed because a d-man on the blueline hesitates because "my lane was closed?" or a forward didn't want to get dirty so instead of following the rush to get to the net, they lollygag and never MAKE a scoring chance?

Enough bullish** excuses for the timid players. Fire the *ing puck, and MAKE some scoring chances.

Because otherwise, "quality scoring chances" makes our amazing goaltending duo look like sh** when scoring chances are the same when we still lose.
                            NMU has scored more goals this year by players crashing the net than any team in recent memory. It's hardly a "timid" bunch. They really have had only one bad weekend this year. So what do you suggest the d-man do when his lane is closed? Blast it into their shin pads then chase that 3 on 1 back the other way? Part of NMY's problem at Ohio State was trying to force shots and passes where they were well defensed. This resulted in many pucks being knocked out of the offensive zone and several odd man rushes the other way.

Comment

Put the puck around the players. If the lane is blocked, then shoot it wide of the goalie, toward an NMU player who can tip it in. Worst case, that player in deep just rims it around to an awaiting blueliner. Firing wide past the closest defender at the blueline in deep may even cause a re-direct off an opponents skate near the goalie. Possession and playing pass along the blueline is fine, as long as the opponent doesn't poke it free, creating a breakaway. I'd like to see more cycling near the goalie to create some confusion. Or hell, park that 6'6 freshman d-man as a forward right near the goalie.

As for trying to push it through five opponents (as I heard you call a few times on the weekend)... Well... You "can't fix stupid." Without specific plays, I'd offer up that the puck carrier either chip it in deep for the blocked wildcat partner to pick up along the boards, patience to make tOSU screw up first, or chip it in deep and trap 'em.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                                Put the puck around the players. If the lane is blocked, then shoot it wide of the goalie, toward an NMU player who can tip it in. Worst case, that player in deep just rims it around to an awaiting blueliner. Firing wide past the closest defender at the blueline in deep may even cause a re-direct off an opponents skate near the goalie. Possession and playing pass along the blueline is fine, as long as the opponent doesn't poke it free, creating a breakaway. I'd like to see more cycling near the goalie to create some confusion. Or hell, park that 6'6 freshman d-man as a forward right near the goalie.

As for trying to push it through five opponents (as I heard you call a few times on the weekend)... Well... You "can't fix stupid." Without specific plays, I'd offer up that the puck carrier either chip it in deep for the blocked wildcat partner to pick up along the boards, patience to make tOSU screw up first, or chip it in deep and trap 'em.
                                Actually they did move D Mitch Jones up to forward in the latter part of the Saturday game. I liked how it looks. Maybe they will continue with it.

Comment

Working...
                                X