Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NMU 2011-12 Season Thread

Originally posted by aygwm2 View Post
    I'd say it's tolerable, watchable, better than last year to an extent. It's a little grainy in large screen and a little too small to watch in the approximately 5" x 5" box. Of course, it isn't like watching live streaming on something like ESPN3. But, I'm mostly just glad to watch the 'Cats play.

Sorry it took me so long to reply.
    Thanks for all the info, the feed turned out to be very good.
    NMU

Comment

Thanks Aaron. Knew you had to make your presence known at some point this weekend. I can't wait til the CCHA goes down and you are left to ref peewee games.
      Cat Chat, The U.P's best College Sports Show. Check us out at www.catchattv.org

Born a Black Bear
      1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012

A NMU Wildcat for Life
      1980 1981 1989 1991 1992 1993 1999 2010

NMU Hockey
      2006-2007: 15-24-2
      2007-2008: 20-20-4
      2008-2009: 18-16-5

1903 1912 1915 1916 1918 2004 2007

Comment

I know you can't blame wins and losses on refs, but really ccha refs??? 2 nights in a row they make marginal calls that affect the game, and quite possibly NMU's playoff run.
        NMU

Comment

Was anyone at the game to see Florek's hit and resulting penalty? And why did it take so long to blow the whistle? The way Dave Danis described it (from the home teams side of course) is that the officials are just not letting the college players play the game anymore (senior men's no check league). Of course you get the same reaction in the NHL these days as well.

You're right NMUFAN21, you can't blame the game on the officials, but...what a drag.

NMU is now eleven points out of first, but only six out of fourth place. Is a first round bye still doable? Or home ice for that matter?

Go 'Cats!!!
          Last edited by aygwm2; 02-04-2012, 09:35 PM.
          NMU Hockey Since 1976 ...there at the beginning.

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Comment

Well Alaska and Bowling Green helped us out tonight. I think the Cats should sweep BG no problem (not saying they should be overlooked), CCHA points should be priority right now. I personally think the first round bye is still doable, just don't count on home ice. Overall not a terrible weekend of hockey considering who they were playing, just gotta win from here. Go Cats!

Also anyone think they'll be ranked come Monday?
            NMU

Comment

Originally posted by NMUFAN21 View Post
              They'll fall from the top twenty in the USCHO poll I would think, and they're just hanging on by a thread in the top fifteen of the PWR as of right now.

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Comment

Originally posted by NMUFAN21 View Post
                Well Alaska and Bowling Green helped us out tonight. I think the Cats should sweep BG no problem (not saying they should be overlooked), CCHA points should be priority right now. I personally think the first round bye is still doable, just don't count on home ice. Overall not a terrible weekend of hockey considering who they were playing, just gotta win from here. Go Cats!

To quote tennis great John McEnroe, "You can't be serious!"

First of all, of course they won't be ranked. There is no reason they should be. Second, talk of sweeps should only apply to NMU's opponent's chances going forward. I don't believe Northern has ever played well for two games at Bowling Green. A split is possible, however. Third, they will have to battle very hard just to finish 8th at this point. A first round bye is realistically out of the question.

And can everyone finally stop talking Pairwise now? The weekly columns in the Mining Journal were a bit too much. No one should pay close attention to the Pairwise until at least the third week of February. The fact is the Cats are a 9th place team in an eleven team league right now.

Hopefully they can turn things around quickly.

Comment

Just trying to keep a positive outlook!

Those are past teams that haven't been successful playing at BG.

Also they only sit about 6 points behind 4th place that's one weekend, yes I realize those teams play each other, but I feel like as long as the cats can win there games and get some luck from other teams in the upcoming weeks they can make a push for a first round bye.
                  NMU

Comment

Good article and video from Matt Wellens in The Mining Journal online concerning the weekend against FSU, not blaming the refs, and the sense of urgency the 'cats need to have over the next six games: Northern-Michigan-falls-3-1-to-No--6-Ferris-State-as-penalty-kill-hits-season-low

Comment

At this point a home first round series may be better than a first round bye for NMU as far as the Pairwise goes. As for the refs, you have to remember that they call what the NCAA mandates that they call. If they don't, they get a call on Monday from their supervisor.
                      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                        At this point a home first round series may be better than a first round bye for NMU as far as the Pairwise goes.
                        not that it's going to matter, since we're gonna win the Mason Cup!
                        NMU '10

Comment

I honestly think this team can get to the Joe and the NCAA, even if they have a first round home series. They've always played well in the playoffs (No need to bring up last year), and they have proven they can hang in there with any team if they want it. I think a big determiner of how they do in the playoffs is how they handle the next 3 series, especially playing at Michigan.
                          NMU

Comment

BG is 3-3-2 w/2 SO wins against then #2 ranked OSU since January. Conversely, NMU is 2-3-3 with 1 SO win. We both played Alaska in that time span. BG split on the road while NMU tied and won at home.

I'm looking for a good series this weekend but it's tough to say who has been playing better hockey the last few weeks. OSU has taken a dive since the beggining of January so those 2 ties/SO wins that we have against them have lost some of their luster. Still, 3 quality wins agains UAF, WMU, and ND stand out. Given Michigan Tech's current standing in the WCHA your win against them appears to be a quality win. Like I said...it should be a good series.

Comment

So I'm hosting the local Wildcat Night Across The Country on the 18th. What channel is the game on so I can relay the information to the host bar?
                              Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                              "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                              Patreon for exclusive writing content
                              Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                                So I'm hosting the local Wildcat Night Across The Country on the 18th. What channel is the game on so I can relay the information to the host bar?
                                Fox Sports Detroit

http://www.foxsportsdetroit.com/pages/channelfinder
                                “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Working...
                                X