NMU 2011-12 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NMU 2011-12 Season Thread

Nice article on Tyler Gron on front page of Collegehockeynews.comcollegehockeynews.com

Comment

Originally posted by nmupiccdiva View Post
      This. This. This!
      Miami has done that to alot of teams this season. So has LSSU and Ferris.

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
        And standing around at the blueline waving at the puck as it goes out of the zone after passing it back and forth achieves the same result. A potential odd man rush for the opponents.

If they're clogging the shooting lanes, then get two guys down in next to the net. One in front, one behind. Have the blueliner rim it around the boards to the guy in back. Keep two blueliners back. Now, when Miami decides to attack the puck carrier, either send it out to a blueliner for a one-timer, or to the in close player.

Conversely, if you have a cannon of a shot at the blueline, opponents will quit trying to block those shots.

A little less hesitation wouldn't hurt either. Those shooting lanes get clogged when the players sit with the puck pump faking a slap shot.

I understand that things happen. Teams sometimes won't make tape to tape passes. Players aren't going to be positioned just right. Bounces can go either way. But a 6-0 schlacking with 16 SOG is embarassing.
        It's that easy? Right? It wasn't embarrassing Friday night, and virtually the same game was played. Actually NMU had played better through 2 periods on Saturday than it had on Friday. The difference was that NMU had gotten the first two goals. Once Miami got the goal early in the 3rd, that's where the wheels came off.
        Last edited by davyd83; 01-31-2012, 01:53 PM.
        "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

When the 'Cats have a Shots Attempted differential (our shots attempted minus the opponents shots attempted) of -15 to +35, we have a record of 10-4-1. .700 Win %
          Shots Attempted differential of -15 to -65 is 2-5-4 for .364

Of the 15 games where our Shots Attempted Differential is -15 or greater:
          NMU Shots Attempted average: 54.4/game
          Opponent Shots Attempted average: 54.6/game
          NMU Shots on Goal average: 28.6/game
          Opponent Shots on Goal average: 29.3/game
          Opponent Breakdown: LSSU, MTU (2), MSU (4), UW (2), UMich, Miami (2), SCSU (2), UA_
          Game Day Breakdown: Seven Friday, Eight Saturday

Of the eleven games where our Shots Attempted Differential is -15 or lower:
          NMU Shots Attempted average: 38.4/game
          Opponent Shots Attempted average: 67.2/game
          NMU Shots on Goal average: 18.3/game
          Opponent Shots on Goal average: 35.4/game
          Opponent Breakdown: UMich, ND (2), WMU (2), Miami (2), tOSU (2), UA_, LSSU
          Game Day Breakdown: Six Friday, Five Saturday

I understand patience and puck possession. But when we keep it close or out attempt the opposing team, we're *ing amazing. When we don't attempt, we flat out suck. Our best stretches of hockey this season have been when we've kept it close.
          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

When the 'Cats have a Shots Attempted differential (our shots attempted minus the opponents shots attempted) of -15 to +35, we have a record of 10-4-1. .700 Win %

Opponent Breakdown: LSSU, MTU (2), MSU (4), UW (2), UMich, Miami (2), SCSU (2), UA_

I understand patience and puck possession. But when we keep it close or out attempt the opposing team, we're *ing amazing. When we don't attempt, we flat out suck. Our best stretches of hockey this season have been when we've kept it close.
            Thanks for the numbers aparch.

I am in the "quantity" camp, whether attempted or on goal. But, I know you can win the "quality" way as well.

A couple of years ago, I was at the NMU @ Ferris game where Ferris had 51 shots on goal (Stewart played out of his mind) and NMU had 21--something like that. Guess who won? NMU 4 - 0. So, it can be done.

I still think you have to take almost every opportunity to get the puck at, around, or about the net, so that your chances to find an opening increase.

Go 'Cats!
            NMU Hockey Since 1976 ...there at the beginning.

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Comment

The Cats are defiantly going to need both quantity and quality shots this weekend as both Ferris Goalies are playing very well.
              NMU

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                I didn't see the initials, and no one said anything about any tribute when I did pregame interviews.
                Don't know if anyone mentioned it, but saw the initials last weekend. The other set was "JFF" or "JJF" I believe.

Comment

During last week's radio chat with Walt, Dave asked him about that. In addition to Chernys dad's initials, they put Kyle Follmers dad's initials on their helmets. According to Walt, he has a brain tumor. But it sounds like things are looking real positive for him.

Comment

There are reasons less shots are attempted at times. One being the quality of defense being played by the opponent. Miami did possibly the best job we've seen this year of play in the defensive zone. You can't just throw up shots that aren't there, and it's not always as easy as one guy behind the net, one guy in front. Is it also possible that in games where shots attempts were higher, that there were more quality shots available to take?
                    Last edited by davyd83; 02-01-2012, 10:03 AM.
                    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Putting the cart before the horse here again, but if the dance started today NMU would most likely be the 4 team in the Bridgeport regional.
                      Always a Wildcat...
                      Originally posted by Kepler
                      If you quote the derp you are spreading the derp. Please help keep the board derp-free.

Comment

Originally posted by nmupiccdiva View Post
                        Putting the cart before the horse here again, but if the dance started today NMU would most likely be the 4 team in the Bridgeport regional.
                        Thats only a 4 hour drive or so for me. I'd go
                        Cat Chat, The U.P's best College Sports Show. Check us out at www.catchattv.org

Born a Black Bear
                        1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012

A NMU Wildcat for Life
                        1980 1981 1989 1991 1992 1993 1999 2010

NMU Hockey
                        2006-2007: 15-24-2
                        2007-2008: 20-20-4
                        2008-2009: 18-16-5

1903 1912 1915 1916 1918 2004 2007

Comment

Does anyone know if this weekends America One/B2 feed is single camera or multi-camera?
                          NMU

Comment

Something to read from The Mining Journal: "Higby returns from injury".

They're hoping Higby can spark the third line now that he's back and Cherniwchan will be back on the first line.

Hope all three lines can play strong this weekend against two good goaltenders: Nelson and Motte.

Originally posted by NMUFAN21 View Post
                            Does anyone know if this weekends America One/B2 feed is single camera or multi-camera?
                            I would think the usual single camera...but who knows, maybe they'll surprise us.

Go 'Cats!!!

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Comment

I would think the usual single camera...but who knows, maybe they'll surprise us.

Go 'Cats!!!
                              How has the quality of the single camera been this year? I know it improved towards the end of the year, last year.
                              NMU

Comment

Originally posted by NMUFAN21 View Post
                                How has the quality of the single camera been this year? I know it improved towards the end of the year, last year.
                                I'd say it's tolerable, watchable, better than last year to an extent. It's a little grainy in large screen and a little too small to watch in the approximately 5" x 5" box. Of course, it isn't like watching live streaming on something like ESPN3. But, I'm mostly just glad to watch the 'Cats play.

Sorry it took me so long to reply.

Comment

Working...
                                X