Question for the cognoscenti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for the cognoscenti

Has a coach ever been fired (or contract not renewed) in the same season his team made an NCAA appearance? I have been unable to find any - the few coaches who have left either retire or move to another job. The one case I did find in my search was former Providence coach Steve Stirling who was the head at Babson, led the 1985 Friars all the way to the title game, then went back to Babson. I have been unable to find the circumstances behind his coaching movements, and his wikipedia page focuses on his professional coaching career.

Thanks.

Re: Question for the cognoscenti

Brad Buetow was let go by Minnesota following an NCAA Tournament appearance in 1985. Under Buetow, Minnesota never had a losing season, and made the NCAA Tournament four times, including 2 trips to the Frozen Four.
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

This is going to end in another Lucia flamewar, isn't it?
      Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
        Brad Buetow was let go by Minnesota following an NCAA Tournament appearance in 1985. Under Buetow, Minnesota never had a losing season, and made the NCAA Tournament four times, including 2 trips to the Frozen Four.
        Based on the story of how CC nearly lost their hockey team in 1993, I'd be curious to know if he was also fired from MN because of NCAA troubles.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
          This is going to end in another Lucia flamewar, isn't it?
          I asked an honest question...if it devolves into a flamewar then I'll just delete the thread

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
            Has a coach ever been fired (or contract not renewed) in the same season his team made an NCAA appearance? I have been unable to find any - the few coaches who have left either retire or move to another job. The one case I did find in my search was former Providence coach Steve Stirling who was the head at Babson, led the 1985 Friars all the way to the title game, then went back to Babson. I have been unable to find the circumstances behind his coaching movements, and his wikipedia page focuses on his professional coaching career.

Thanks.
            Buddy Powers for RPI: Made the tournament in 1994, new head coach the next year (Fridgen for the 1994-95 season). As for the circumstances behind his leaving, I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
              Buddy Powers for RPI: Made the tournament in 1994, new head coach the next year (Fridgen for the 1994-95 season). As for the circumstances behind his leaving, I don't know.
              Looks like he left to take the job at Bowling Green (they were a 25-win team at the time).

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                The circumstances were that his wife wanted to go back to BG where she came from.
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                  Looks like he left to take the job at Bowling Green (they were a 25-win team at the time).
                  Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                  The circumstances were that his wife wanted to go back to BG where she came from.
                  Thanks. I suppose that would then be the same boat as WMU this past year.

Comment

Working...
                  X