Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 10/21-10/22 Michigan Tech at Bemidji State: WCCHA Opening Weekend

Originally posted by Andrew J Carter View Post
    Flashy Man: Mankato had BSU's number (and has for some time) so yes there are exceptions. I think BSU was 5-1 against Omaha last year and won 3 or 4 on the road as underdogs. I would still say that was and is remote. And a Tech sweep this weekend would still be remote.

Andrew J Carter
    I was talking about Minnesota State playing AIC...
    Originally posted by SCSU Euro
    What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
      I agree a sweep is not likely; a split for our first road series would be great. Whatever happens, I figure both games will be close.
      This is a little trivia for you older Tech fans:

One of my three supervising teachers at Marquette HS the spring of 1974 was Jerry Sullivan. I didn't have a clue about hockey growing up in Barron WI, yet quickly found out Jerry was a big shot at Tech and hockey in general (not from him, of course, but from another supervising teacher, Gordy Leduc, the basketball coach). My college friend and frosh basketball teammate, George Wadlin (his dad was a prof at Tech) took me to a couple Iron Ranger games in the old Palestra (sp?). Obviously, that doesn't qualify me much for this thread, but worth a shot.

Andrew J Carter

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew J Carter View Post
        Since these contests are at the Sanford Center (somewhat of a hostile place) and this is Tech's first road appearance, I suspect they unofficially would be happy with a split. When playing comparable teams, isn't conventional wisdom; a sweep by the home team is standard, a split reasonable but unlikely, and a sweep by the visitors remote?

Andrew J Carter
        Last year 75% of Tech's wins came on the road. Of course one might argue something about small sample sizes...

Comment

I do like the fact that Bemidji has 14 players with at least a point so far this year, 10 of those with goals. Scoring by committee!
          Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
          FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
          NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
          NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
          NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
          NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
          Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
          Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
            Ahhhhh. Jumping the gun a couple years are we? Will there be a WCCHA playoff this year? Maybe DQ Cup like trophy?
            Yes - The 2011-12 champion of the WCCHA will be awarded the same Cup that Tech won for winning the Superior Showcase last season.

Ryan J
            Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
            https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
            Originally posted by geezer
            Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
            Originally posted by manurespreader
            ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
              Yes - The 2011-12 champion of the WCCHA will be awarded the same Cup that Tech won for winning the Superior Showcase last season.

Ryan J
              I will create and donate a trophy! I will call it the Butthurt Cup! Fortunately for many I won't take the design from the name.
              tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                West Central, i like that.

I call split this weekend. I think this weekend will be a true test of each teams abilities, BSU is 1-3 vs ranked opponents and Tech is 4-0 vs unranked opponents.

Realistically the top five in the conference is set, however i think the bottom 7 spots are a toss up. These two teams are fighting for 6th this year and although its early, the play we see this weekend should be the best indication of how each team will fair vs. the bottom 7.

Comment

Originally posted by 7&7 View Post
                  ...Tech is 4-0 vs unranked opponents.
                  Wisconsin was ranked before they flew into Houghton.

Comment

This is going to be a tough series for Tech. The Beavers' stats look good so far....against ranked opponents. Moreover, they've already had the experience of having to adjust to faster teams. AIC and Wisconsin frankly, didn't play very well and there's been too much silly hyperbole about the fact that Tech is atop the pairwise. The big bump in the other rankings seems premature and I hope the boys don't believe their press and let up against Bemidji. I hope Tech doesn't get swept but I think they'll be lucky to get a split in their first road game. If Mel and the boys can get two wins this weekend, I'll drink a full serving of the "MTU is back" Koolaid. However, I think we're in for a healthy helping of reality this weekend, even if we do manage to pull one out.

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
                      Tech loses both 4-1, 6-2. (hey it worked last weekend)
                      I disagree, huskyfan. Michigan Tech will definitely get shut out in one, if not both, of those games. The UW games were flukes... not to mention the AIC games. The hockey gods are toying with us....again.

Ugh, this is my LEAST favorite "WCHA" team and my least favorite town. I'd rather spend a weekend in Wisconsin than Bemidji. Even though this series is a mere four hours from me, I'll definitely not be in attendance.

Go Tech and all that jazz. Work your magic, Mel.
                      Former President of Mitch's Misfits, 2005-2008

"The fans are what makes college hockey so great." - Casey Borer

Comment

So is Milos Gordic going to be back for this series?

Comment

Originally posted by HoosierBBall_GopherHockey View Post
                          Last we heard, his earliest shot at returning will be next weekend when we play DU.

Comment

Originally posted by HoosierBBall_GopherHockey View Post
                            Is he on your fantasy team? I heard he won't be making a return until the Denver series.
                            Former President of Mitch's Misfits, 2005-2008

"The fans are what makes college hockey so great." - Casey Borer

Comment

Originally posted by MeanEgirl View Post
                              Is he on your fantasy team? I heard he won't be making a return until the Denver series.
                              Yes... Thanks for the update!

Comment

I'll go out on a limb and call the rarely seen "two ties."
                                Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Working...
                                X