Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan at NMU, 10/21-22--Walmart better stock up...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michigan at NMU, 10/21-22--Walmart better stock up...

The Wolverines make what might be their final regular season trip north of Detroit the Bridge to visit the Wildcats at home.
    Future WCHA member NMU is coming off of a quite successful sweep of future NCHC bottom feeder member St. Cloud State. Future BTHC member Michigan had the weekend off after a 12 day, 5 game stretch capped off by a routing of holy schnikes a team that isn't realigning ECAC's St Lawrence 10-3. Realignment and new conference jokes aside, this kicks off CCHA play for both teams.

Here we go: discuss.
    Always a Wildcat...
    Originally posted by Kepler
    If you quote the derp you are spreading the derp. Please help keep the board derp-free.

Re: Michigan at NMU, 10/21-22--Walmart better stock up...

Originally posted by nmupiccdiva View Post
    The Wolverines make what might be their final regular season trip north of Detroit the Bridge to visit the Wildcats at home.
    Future WCHA member NMU is coming off of a quite successful sweep of future NCHC bottom feeder member St. Cloud State. Future BTHC member Michigan had the weekend off after a 12 day, 5 game stretch capped off by a routing of holy schnikes a team that isn't realigning ECAC's St Lawrence 10-3. Realignment and new conference jokes aside, this kicks off CCHA play for both teams.

Here we go: discuss.
    Yep, will miss them trips up to Marquette, especially with NMU's since broken up alliance with Wolverine hater, UNO. Last time up was memorable, though, sweeping for the CCHA title before moving on to the NC title game. Yes indeed, first road trip of the season unlike previous years where the team has been in Boston, New Hampshire or at a season opening tourney. I guess we'll have to draw a map for the freshmen and... make sure they don't stop at the Mystery Spot or one of the pastie stands dotting highway 2 before the turn up furder nort to Marquette. Oh, and at least Scooter Vaughn graduated. I know how much of a novelty he was up in Yooperville. Do they still sell fudge in October?

All snideness aside, this will be a test for Michigan with NMU playing well out of the gate. Nothing much to report- the Wolverines ate a bunch of cupcakes at home and are desperate to prove that losing over 50% of their experienced offense and special teams from the previous year won't be an issue. Not taking much stock in outscoring opponents 24-5 considering the who and the where. Shawn Hunwick's microscopic GAA will be tested in earnest and so will his inexperienced teammates on big ice.

Comment

I'm cautiously optimistic coming into this weekend... I think this will be a true test to see what this NMU team has for the year... I want to get excited about this team, but don't want to let a few early season W's drive that ship just yet...

That being said, I will be disappointed at no points this weekend... I think we can manage a split on home ice with the crowd into it...
      It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
        I'm cautiously optimistic coming into this weekend... I think this will be a true test to see what this NMU team has for the year... I want to get excited about this team, but don't want to let a few early season W's drive that ship just yet...

That being said, I will be disappointed at no points this weekend... I think we can manage a split on home ice with the crowd into it...
        In contrast, I'm cautiously pessimistic.

Michigan has scored a lot, but realistically, it doesn't mean much. The one good thing I can take from that is that it *may* relax the players some, so that they think they can score instead of psyching themselves out. The fear that so many players left may not be a huge problem.

OTOH, defense is an issue. Hunwick is really doing a great job dealing with a D that is still gelling. This weekend will be very telling on that. Especially without the most talented player on the entire line up (who, arguably, may not be back in November, when he's allowed).

Comment

I think many Michigan fans would accept a road-split this weekend, and move on. Whereas expectations would have been higher in all prior years. Should be two tight contests.

Comment

I expect the Wolverines to continue rolling. My prediction.... 2 big wins!

Comment

Originally posted by alnike View Post
              I think many Michigan fans would accept a road-split this weekend, and move on. Whereas expectations would have been higher in all prior years. Should be two tight contests.
              Exactly. I think a split is a safe guess on the weekend, and definitely 1 goal games that come down to the waning moments.
              I'm hoping that NMU's penalty box parade from the Wisconsin series was the result of their opening weekend nerves and that they've got it fully out of their system. 5-on-5 we can hang with just about anybody.
              Always a Wildcat...
              Originally posted by Kepler
              If you quote the derp you are spreading the derp. Please help keep the board derp-free.

Comment

I have to agree with the split. I know it's still early, but I think these lines are really clicking. Also I think the penalties were very well controlled this past weekend.

*NMU Fans*
                Is there a "pick to click" this year?
                Last edited by NMUFAN21; 10-17-2011, 07:16 PM.
                NMU

Comment

Originally posted by NMUFAN21 View Post
                  *NMU Fans*
                  Is there a "pick to click" this year?
                  Nope, I thought about starting it for the Badgers weekend, but I wasn't sure of how much interest there would have been. Maybe I'll start an abbreviated version of it in a couple weeks.
                  “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

#1 UM comes to Marquette to take on #17 NMU. I'd be very happy with a split. I just hope for large crowds at the BEC this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by NMUFAN View Post
                      #1 UM comes to Marquette to take on #17 NMU. I'd be very happy with a split. I just hope for large crowds at the BEC this weekend.
                      We've gotta blow the roof off the place in what is very likely Red's last trip to Marquette.
                      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by NMUFAN View Post
                        Can I have some of the drugs the voters are taking. How over rated can we be? Good, yes, undefeated- like ACC teams are against MAC teams, sure. #1? Yea, not so much.

It may be an upset in the eyes of people who are not paying attention, but it will be an even weekend for those who know both teams.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                          Can I have some of the drugs the voters are taking. How over rated can we be? Good, yes, undefeated- like ACC teams are against MAC teams, sure. #1? Yea, not so much.

It may be an upset in the eyes of people who are not paying attention, but it will be an even weekend for those who know both teams.
                          Yeah, I feel like a split would be a good weekend for Michigan. With the way the Wolverines have been playing, I could see Northern very easily sweeping us out.
                          Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

If your actions speak louder than words, you're not yelling loud enough. - Stephen Colbert

You build. You paddle. You stand in awe of what your hands have made. - Pygmy Boats

Comment

UofM has proven to be a formidable foe on the big ice sheet at NMU. This year however I believe NMU has the size and skill on the blue line to slow down the speedy Michigan forwards and protect the net in front of either Correau or Ellingson.

NMU has been impressive thus far and is getting contributions from all lines. I think they will match up better with UofM more than what we've seen in the past. I could see tight games or a couple of blow outs either way. Neither would suprise me.

My normal venom for the Weasals is still present, but I'm more excited to spew it towards MSU in November and their traitorous coach than Red this time around...just sayin...

Comment

It's a shame I'm not back in MQT for the weekend. I would have loved to leave a Farewell (and potential Retirement) card for Red on the Michigan bench.

And inside the card tape two bridge tokens with the note to either come back and visit at least once, or to at least pay for this trip and never ever come back again.
                              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Working...
                              X