Refereeing by the score of the game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refereeing by the score of the game?

It sure seems like refs will call penalties based on the score. Up by 3, 4 and then all of a sudden penalties. You see it at every level and it drives me crazy. Just ruins the flow of games. I'm talking about the interference and size difference type questionable calls. Anyone else hate this?

Re: Refereeing by the score of the game?

Originally posted by WCHFan View Post
    It sure seems like refs will call penalties based on the score. Up by 3, 4 and then all of a sudden penalties. You see it at every level and it drives me crazy. Just ruins the flow of games. I'm talking about the interference and size difference type questionable calls. Anyone else hate this?
    I hate the size difference calls all the time. Seems more prevalent in woman's hockey

Comment

Agree!

Comment

I just don't get it

Comment

Watched 3 games over the weekend and dominating teams that went up by a few goals suddenly were going to the box on a regular basis with questionable calls. Felt like they were trying to keep the score down by calling many questionable penalties which ruins game play. Example 6 to 8 penalties per 20 minutes of penalties on teams leading. I understand penalties like tripping, checking slashing etc must be called. But many interference and size calls which to me can be called on every play if a ref wanted. Saw the same thing last weekend and helped teams get back into games. Saw a couple games last week and a team went up 3-0 and then 3 PP goals later it's 3-3.

I would just like to see consistent calls on both teams throughout the game. Not just penalizing the team leading.

Comment

I would just like to see consistent calls on both teams throughout the game. Not just penalizing the team leading.
            AND, don't call penalties just to "even things up" which you also see far too often!
            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

I'm not sure about the score of the game theory, although I would not discount it. The thing that drives me nuts is the inconsistency. I was at the OSU vs St. Cloud game last night (Friday night). The first period, the refs called a decent game. The second period they were calling penalties left and right. The entire second period seemed like a special teams battle. Then, for the third period, they went the other way and did not hardly call anything. At one point we had a girl basically get checked and shaken up a little bit. At that point Coach Handrahan yelled at the refs and basically told them it was because they hadn't been calling anything. I try to refrain from being critical of officials because they have a tough job, and I am all for letting the kids decide the game. However, I draw the line at the point when the game gets out of control and kids start getting hurt. No one wants to see that. They need to be consistent.

Comment

The officiating in Columbus this weekend left something to be desired. I hope someone is evaluating them. I could have a War and Peace length rant here and p and moan about the flow of the game, and all the usual stuff, but instead:

1. Don't throw a kid out of a game unless they deserve it. When a major is assessed when there maybe shouldn't have even been a penalty called, it really sucks for the kid

2. Have the guts to call a penalty without having to talk it over with your buddy. The were more huddles than on NFL Sunday. Lick and Wrazidilo couldn't make a call independently all weekend. They, apparently, had to get their stories straight.

3. Calling penaltys from 100 yards (another football reference) away. About a half a dozen times this weekend, the ref nearest they play didn't call the penalty, but the other ref sure spied it. Maybe someone out there who refs could help me on this. If a ref right on top of the play decides that a given circumstance doesn't warrant a penalty, but their partner calls it from long distance, isn't that kind of showing their partner up?

Comment

There were 58 minutes of penaltys called in the OSU/SCSU game sat. 46 on Ohio... 12 on St.Cloud. incredible.

Comment

Originally posted by high slot View Post
                    1. ... When a major is assessed when there maybe shouldn't have even been a penalty called, it really sucks for the kid
                    We seem to routinely see this over the first several weeks of the season, when the edict probably is issued to crack down on dangerous plays. So kids get sent off for a CFB or contact to the head that may not warrant a glance come playoff time. Given the objective is to make players conscious of not taking actions likely to injure one another, I see the merit, but you're right, it's rough on the player and her team.

2. ... Have the guts to call a penalty without having to talk it over with your buddy.
                    That seems to be the process when a CFB call is a possibility. Given the severity of the penalty, I'm okay with this; take the time to get it right, or at least as right as the caliber of WCHA officiating allows.

3. ... If a ref right on top of the play decides that a given circumstance doesn't warrant a penalty, but their partner calls it from long distance, isn't that kind of showing their partner up?
                    Here I believe the rationale is that the more distant official had a better view. In some cases, that's true. I've seen where the nearby ref is turning in an attempt to avoid contact and misses a takedown a couple feet away. I have no problem with the further ref calling that. Other refs just seem to like to blow the whistle and skate around making dramatic signals, because they'll make up calls if nothing is happening on the ice.

As for evaluating the officials, I've seen Greg Shepherd at Ridder doing just that on two separate weekends this season. He likely doesn't get out to Columbus very often.

Look at the bright side -- the Buckeyes got to work on their PK in advance of the trip to Grand Forks, where they'll see a more dangerous PP.
                    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Often times, when games get out of reach, that's when the chippiness starts, then the retaliation penalties. The wheels fall off and any sense of flow is lost, at all levels.

Comment

Originally posted by Genbeau View Post
                        Often times, when games get out of reach, that's when the chippiness starts, then the retaliation penalties. The wheels fall off and any sense of flow is lost, at all levels.
                        Not referring to a 4 plus goal lead. I've seen it occur with just 2 goals and the ice tilted.

Comment

Working...
                        X