Future WCHA versus Big/Little THC ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Future WCHA versus Big/Little THC ...

Someone should continuously track the results between future WCHA schools (the island of misfit toys) versus Big/Litte Ten conference teams. By my count there have been 9 such games so far this season. 6 wins for the future WCHA teams ... 3 wins for the BLT Conference.

Obviously it's early and no claims should be made as yet. If someone here who loves tracking such things decides to take that on then this thread would be a great place to do it.

Re: Future WCHA versus Big/Little THC ...

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
    Someone should continuously track the results between future WCHA schools (the island of misfit toys) versus Big/Litte Ten conference teams. By my count there have been 9 such games so far this season. 6 wins for the future WCHA teams ... 3 wins for the BLT Conference.

Obviously it's early and no claims should be made as yet. If someone here who loves tracking such things decides to take that on then this thread would be a great place to do it.
    bbdl kept track last weekend. Dunno if he still is. He was rather proud of that fact.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
      bbdl kept track last weekend. Dunno if he still is. He was rather proud of that fact.
      bbdl it is then. I'm happy he volunteered.

Comment

It is fun to compare now, but unfortunately reality will set in once the conferences divide. The "future WCHA" teams have gotten thier current players recruiting as a major conference and the chance to play the Minn., Wisc, NoDak, Denver every year. Now they don't have that recruiting advantage and the quality of the recruits will likely diminish.

Comment

Once the ratings mean something, I plan to track the average KRACH rating for each league. It gives a better overall measure of the relative strengths than head-to-head, which ignores if you have the best team in one league playing the worst in another. If Air Force beats UML/MTU/Colgate/pick whoever's in last place, it doesn't mean that the AHA is better than HEA/WCHA/ECAC. Here are the average KRACH ratings from last year for the leagues:
          Using league affiliations at the time:
          WCHA - 39.8
          CCHA - 28.2
          HEA - 21.9
          ECAC - 18.7
          AHA - 6.7

Using the future league affiliations:
          NCHC - 51.3
          Big 10 - 31.7
          HEA - 23.9
          WCHA - 19.4
          ECAC - 18.7
          AHA - 6.1

EDIT: Forgot the Big 10 in the original post.
          Last edited by Rich; 10-15-2011, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Gentry View Post
            It is fun to compare now, but unfortunately reality will set in once the conferences divide. The "future WCHA" teams have gotten thier current players recruiting as a major conference and the chance to play the Minn., Wisc, NoDak, Denver every year. Now they don't have that recruiting advantage and the quality of the recruits will likely diminish.
            I disagree. The comparison is wholly relevant for the next two years. After that it is much less relevant. The BT and BHHC teams formed as they did because it's members decided they were "better". Like I said ... no claims ... but after 9 games (very small sample size) the BHHC teams sure don't seem "better".

Comment

Originally posted by Rich View Post
              Once the ratings mean something, I plan to track the average KRACH rating for each league. It gives a better overall measure of the relative strengths than head-to-head, which ignores if you have the best team in one league playing the worst in another. If Air Force beats UML/MTU/Colgate/pick whoever's in last place, it doesn't mean that the AHA is better than HEA/WCHA/ECAC. Here are the average KRACH ratings from last year for the leagues:
              Using league affiliations at the time:
              WCHA - 39.8
              CCHA - 28.2
              HEA - 21.9
              ECAC - 18.7
              AHA - 6.7

NCHC - 51.3
              HEA - 23.9
              WCHA - 19.4
              ECAC - 18.7
              AHA - 6.1
              Where's Big Ten?

Comment

I disagree. The comparison is wholly relevant for the next two years. After that it is much less relevant. The BT and BHHC teams formed as they did because it's members decided they were "better". Like I said ... no claims ... but after 9 games (very small sample size) the BHHC teams sure don't seem "better".
                I see 11 games thus far.

10/7/11

Bemidji State 5 (WCHA 1-0 vs. BHHC)
                Miami 3

Northern Michigan 3 (WCHA 1-0 vs. LTHC)
                Wisconsin 2

St. Cloud State 4 (WCHA 1-1 vs. BHHC)
                Alaska 1

10/8/11

Miami 3 (WCHA 1-2 vs. BHHC)
                Bemidji State 2

Wisconsin 3 (WCHA 1-1 vs. LTHC)
                Northern Michigan 2

Alaska Anchorage 4 (WCHA 2-2 vs. BHHC)
                St. Cloud State 3

10/14/11

Lake Superior State 5 (WCHA 2-1 vs. LTHC)
                Michigan State 4

Colorado College 3 (WCHA 2-3 vs. BHHC)
                Bemidji State 1

Michigan Tech 2 (WCHA 3-1 vs. LTHC)
                Wisconsin 1

Northern Michigan 5 (WCHA 3-3 vs. BHHC)
                St. Cloud State 2

Alaska Anchorage 3 (WCHA 4-3 vs. BHHC)
                Nebraska Omaha 0

Overall:
                WCHA is 4-3 against BHHC
                WCHA is 3-1 against LTHC
                WCHA is 7-4 overall against BHHC + LTHC

I don't have time to keep this updated throughout the next two years, but this is where it stands now.
                North Dakota
                National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Where's Big Ten?
                  I missed them when I typed it in from my spreadsheet. I edited my original post to include them.

Comment

The BT and BHHC teams formed as they did because it's members decided they were "better". Like I said ... no claims ... but after 9 games (very small sample size) the BHHC teams sure don't seem "better".
                    Like you said, small sample size. We know what programs have had success nationally over the past decade. We can debate the rights and wrongs of them breaking away, but they are superior ("better") programs.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich View Post
                      NCHC - 51.3
                      Big 10 - 31.7
                      HEA - 23.9
                      WCHA - 19.4
                      ECAC - 18.7
                      AHA - 6.1

EDIT: Forgot the Big 10 in the original post.
                      As a HEA fan, this is interesting since we are a far third. Now, there will be some divergence since these teams will now be beating up on each other instead of feasting on the doormats, but impressive nonetheless. HEA will be the last conference with a mix of big-name powers (BC, BU, UNH, Maine), long-time mediocre squads with success here and there (NU, UVM, PC UMASS), and D-II/III play-ups with limited success('Mack, UML).

Comment

HEA will be the last conference with a mix of big-name powers (BC, BU, UNH, Maine), long-time mediocre squads with success here and there (NU, UVM, PC UMASS), and D-II/III play-ups with limited success('Mack, UML).
                        That's exactly what keeps the HEA down in third. The top teams in HEA were (as you know, these are based on last year's numbers) right there with the NCHC teams. But since this is an average teams like UML (3.7), UMass (5.6), Providence (7.5) and others brought the average for HEA down significantly. That actually should help the top HEA teams in the PWR, since the PWR undervalues strength of schedule. An ideal schedule for the PWR includes a significant number of cupcakes to bolster winning %, and HEA will have that built in with the bottom 1/3 of the league. NCHC and Big 10 teams, if they all trend towards being upper-tier teams, will need to schedule as many weaker teams as possible in their non-conference schedules to keep up.

Comment

"Crap, the future WCHA teams really fared well against us since we decided to form the NCHC. That proves this was a bad idea." - No one
                          Originally posted by SJHovey
                          Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                          Originally posted by Brenthoven
                          We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
                            "Crap, the future WCHA teams really fared well against us since we decided to form the NCHC. That proves this was a bad idea." - No one
                            Has nothing to do with proving it was a bad idea. It has to do with being labeled leftovers from the island of misfit toys by the twats that are posing as "better" hockey teams and getting some visceral satisfaction from knocking said team's dicks in the dirt. And after today's results my viscera is pretty satisfied ...

It was 7-4 ... right now it's 10-4 with just two such matchups to be decided. Bemidji is tied with CC 4-4 at the moment and If UA_ beats the fun-filled family card game it will be 12-4.
                            Last edited by uaafanblog; 10-15-2011, 10:19 PM.

Comment

Future WCHA = 11
                              B/L 'tards = 5

Comment

Working...
                              X