Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 25 Best College Hockey Players in the NHL

Hey folks,

I posted this article in Bleacher Report last week and would love to hear your thoughts. I have already heard from a couple of people, and rightly so, that Travis Zajac and Paul Martin should have been noted.

Please let me know if there are others you feel should be listed and also who the next generation of stars will be. Whether they are on their first or second year in the NHL or of they are still in the collegiate ranks. Thanks.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/8...ers-in-the-nhl

Re: The 25 Best College Hockey Players in the NHL

All I know is that picture of Gionta on page 1 is great and I honestly have never seen that pic before. Here's a trivia question for the heavy hitters: what game was this from and who is the goalie that got burned by Gionta in that game?
    Last edited by Nick Papagiorgio; 10-12-2011, 09:09 AM.
    Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

I'll be a complete homer and throw out the name of Matt Greene, assistant captain of what should be a pretty good L.A. Kings team. Not going to put a ton of points up but a very good defenseman.
      Last edited by SJHovey; 10-12-2011, 09:32 AM.
      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

At a minimum, Alex Goligoski should be an honorable mention.
        University of Minnesota

Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Comment

1998 Frozen Four (semifinal) against Ohio State. Eagles won 5-2. Goalie was Jeff Maund. Gino was a freshman.

Comment

Good call.

Comment

Nothing wrong with being a homer. Greene was a beast at UND and has been a slid professional. Thanks.

Comment

Hard to have a top-25 without including the biggest reason Tampa Bay made the Eastern Conference Finals, Dwayne Roloson from UMass-Lowell.

Comment

Originally posted by ac@chihawks View Post
                  1998 Frozen Four (semifinal) against Ohio State. Eagles won 5-2. Goalie was Jeff Maund. Gino was a freshman.
                  Very good. I'm impressed.
                  Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                  The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Despite being stuck on the bench in Vancouver, look for Corey Schneider to join that list in the near future.

Also, just throwing it out there: BC 2 - BU 0 (3-1 if you include the honorable mentions).

Comment

I would agree. Let's hope for him to get traded to a quality team.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                        I'll be a complete homer and throw out the name of Matt Greene, assistant captain of what should be a pretty good L.A. Kings team. Not going to put a ton of points up but a very good defenseman.
                        I'll be a homer too and throw out Jon Quick, goalie of the LA Kings.
                        #NewMass

Comment

Originally posted by jjmc85 View Post
                          I'll be a homer too and throw out Jon Quick, goalie of the LA Kings.
                          Well played.

Comment

Don't know how many are familiar with the story of honorable mention, Dustin Penner, who is listed because he went to Maine. Interesting and inspiring story. He finishes HS in a small Manitoba town and gets turned down at least three times by junior teams. He's thinking of trying to become an electrician or something like that, but at the last possible minute a friend or family member convinces him to enroll at a tiny junior college in Bottineau ND that used to be called the School of Forestry. He doesn't even play much at first, gets hurt, then blossoms and is eventually spotted by someone from Maine who was attending an evaluation camp to scout another player.

After Maine, he lands with Anaheim and ends up skating around the rink with the Cup his rookie year.

Totally below the radar, which in this age of year-round play and elite leagues, is refreshing.

Comment

That is an outstanding story about Penner!! Thanks for the info.

Comment

Working...
                              X