Jwhl 2011/2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jwhl 2011/2012

The Jdub kicked off their season with an East/West'er this past weekend in Boston...

http://www.jwhl.org/standings/show/3...ubseason=52037

Here's the sched for the year.

http://www.jwhl.org/news_article/sho...rrer_id=196112
    Last edited by 5 4 Fighting; 10-10-2011, 11:26 AM. Reason: added sched

Re: Jwhl 2011/2012

After watching several games this weekend, these are my thoughts.

Warner looks like they may be the strongest and biggest team with a few girls over 6 foot tall. NAHA looks like the next strongest team. Most of the rest of the teams are pretty even.

The Boston Shamrocks are much improved over last year.

Minnesota may be in for a tough season.

Mathew's Arena, located at Northeastern University is the nicest old arena I have ever been in.

The weather in Boston was very nice. The city and general area is beautiful.

Driving is Boston was the most unbelievably worst big city driving I have ever experienced. Traffic is horrible, other drivers are incredibly rude; they routinely break traffic laws such as speeding, making illegal turns and driving on the shoulder of freeways and rarely use turn signals. Using a GPS helps somewhat, but you need to plan on having 10 mile trips taking 1-2 hours. One wrong turn made because poor road signage can easily add another 30 minutes to a trip. During the work week, afternoon rush starts at 2:30 and last past 8:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CO_Select_Dad View Post

Warner looks like they may be the strongest and biggest team with a few girls over 6 foot tall. NAHA looks like the next strongest team. Most of the rest of the teams are pretty even.

Mathew's Arena, located at Northeastern University is the nicest old arena I have ever been in.

Driving is Boston was the most unbelievably worst big city driving I have ever experienced. Traffic is horrible, other drivers are incredibly rude; they routinely break traffic laws such as speeding, making illegal turns and driving on the shoulder of freeways and rarely use turn signals. Using a GPS helps somewhat, but you need to plan on having 10 mile trips taking 1-2 hours. One wrong turn made because poor road signage can easily add another 30 minutes to a trip. During the work week, afternoon rush starts at 2:30 and last past 8:00 PM.

I hear you it took me two hours to get to Umass Friday night. Love the city hate the traffic. I agree Warner is very good.

Comment

Well, that is because you country folk out west are used to those big grid patterns. Make a wrong turn, all ya do is keep turning in the same direction until you are back where you started. Here in New England, you could end up in the next state in the blink of an eye.

Also, you should have made use of the JWHL Boston Program, which included driving directions and hints at how to 1) act like a Boston driver, and 2) then ignore the horns and hand gestures after having done so.

Comment

Driving is Boston was the most unbelievably worst big city driving I have ever experienced. Traffic is horrible, other drivers are incredibly rude; they routinely break traffic laws such as speeding, making illegal turns and driving on the shoulder of freeways and rarely use turn signals.
          If you pay attention to signs, you would have noticed that it is legal during rush hour to travel in the breakdown lane on certain freeways in the Boston metro area.

Driving in Boston is no worse than Toronto, and NewYork is tougher than Beantown. I live in the country and been to Boston many times. Love the city and have no problem driving there. Actually find the GPS useless in certain parts of the city, as it sometimes leads you off the beaten path (shortcut), which often ends up taking a lot longer.

Comment

I guess I just misinterpreted the white signs with black text I saw along 95 northbound from Waltham saying No Driving on Shoulder.

In any event, every area has its strong points and weak points. Overall I enjoyed the hockey, weather and area.

Comment

Originally posted by Hux View Post
              Well, that is because you country folk out west are used to those big grid patterns. Make a wrong turn, all ya do is keep turning in the same direction until you are back where you started. Here in New England, you could end up in the next state in the blink of an eye.

Also, you should have made use of the JWHL Boston Program, which included driving directions and hints at how to 1) act like a Boston driver, and 2) then ignore the horns and hand gestures after having done so.
              Out here in the wild wild west, where the buffalo roam and the Coors flows like wine, we can't get around without going at least 10 miles over the speed limit, gesturing wildly to all who don't follow the same "rules," and driving the streets connected to each other like a box with a big circle around it. Guess we ought to put those hints in our program too for playoffs!
              Just like ice, always cool, Baby.

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
                If you pay attention to signs, you would have noticed that it is legal during rush hour to travel in the breakdown lane on certain freeways in the Boston metro area. .
                Here is some travel info from Boston-Online.com for Vistors to town:

http://www.boston-online.com/visitors/getting_here.html

Originally posted by BostonOnline.com
                By car
                The main routes into Boston are I-90 (also known as the Massachusetts Turnpike) from the west and I-95 and I-93 from the north and south.

If you can, try to avoid rush hour (roughly 7 to 9 a.m. and 4 to 7 p.m. on workdays). Also, be aware that on several major roadways, including parts of I-93 south of the city and Rte. 128 (also known as I-95), the shoulder (known locally as "the breakdown lane") turns into a travel lane during rush hour. Rte. 128 has several emergency pulloffs should you be unlucky enough to break down in the breakdown lane during rush hour.

Note: While online mapping services can get you to the Boston area, do NOT rely on them for plotting routes once you're in the city. There's something about Boston's road system that drives them into apoplexy and there's a good chance you could get bum directions from them. Ask your hotel concierge or host for directions.
                As a visitor, always find it interesting that when you mention to the locals you took I-95 to get to places like Waltham, Newton or Dedham, you get a puzzled look, but everyone seems to know Route 128.

P.S....Fiver caught that Shoulder Check
                Last edited by OnMAA; 10-11-2011, 11:05 PM.

Comment

After that travel update, how about more JWHL talk. Who hot and who's not. (I'm sure the weather was steaming hot last weekend, more like mid summer than mid October in these parts)

Comment

Someone mentioned Warner is a team that looks strong. How about the perennial NAHA? Glad to see that Boston is stronger this year.

Comment

Originally posted by rugrats View Post
                      Someone mentioned Warner is a team that looks strong. How about the perennial NAHA? Glad to see that Boston is stronger this year.
                      The Boston team I saw in the NAHA showcase still had some trouble competing with the higher tier teams. Not sure if that was the same lineup as the one competing in the JWHL. Would expect NAHA to be strong again this year (They won their own showcase), but based on what I've seen over the last month or two, there is a lot more depth amongst various teams, so see it more as others catching up to make the JWHL a more balanced league. The Alberta contingent has some good players (witness last years Canadian U18 win), so expect that to be reflected in the Warner and Edge squads.

Comment

The Jdub is slated to go again this weekend with the Eastern contingent playing at Yale and Quinnipiac and their Western counterparts dropping the puck at the MTS Center in Winnipeg, Manitoba.

Comment

League action this weekend in the New York Capital District as the East teams play at RPI and Union, while the West Division meets in Warner, Alberta. (should be some good crowds there as the town really supports the Warner Warriors quite well).

Early action today
                          EAST:
                          Boston Shamrocks 2
                          Washington Pride 1

NSA 3
                          NAHA 0

WEST:
                          Warner Warriors 1
                          Edge Mountaineers 1

Comment

Congrats to the Shamrocks. Undefeated in their last five JWHL games, as they won 6-3 over NSA tonight.
                            "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

Edge Mountaineers hammer the Minnesota Thoroughbreds last night 6-1 outshooting them 52-20. That puts Minnesota at 1-13-0 for the season....not exactly Heartland Hockey...but hat's off to Minnesota goalie Mary Shefveland for making 46 stops.

Warner vs. Pacific is underway while Minnesota tries to right the ship this afternoon against divison leader (11-1-2) Balmoral Hall.

Comment

Working...
                              X