Ohio State vs St Cloud State 10/14 - 10/15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ohio State vs St Cloud State 10/14 - 10/15

On paper, this should be a sweep, but then, you don't take wins for granted, and we have some injuries we are dealing with. I think the girls that are healthy will step it up and play hard for their fallen teammates, just as they did against Bemidji this past weekend. I have seen the girls in action three times now and also watched part of a practice one Friday afternoon, and I have been very impressed by how hard each and everyone of the girls worked to improve their games. The skating is better (they all look faster ... every one of them), and the passing is crisper. I am really excited at where this team can go this season.

Re: Ohio State vs St Cloud State 10/14 - 10/15

Ok, one more thing, folks! Bring hats to the game so you can toss them onto the ice when one of our players gets a hat trick, huh?

Comment

I saw both games in Ohio this weekend. Here's my take as an embarassed "no hat" fan! that'll never happen again! To tell the truth I cannot remember the last womens hockey games I attended where we had 2 natural hat tricks in the same series. And I'd never have believed they'd have scored 9 goals on Tommcikova.
      I agree I see a much tighter team unit. It was definately the Spooner/ Tarr show but I was really encouraged by the play of the young forwards also. They work hard, skate hard and go to the net. Spooner was amazing friday night! Passing seems greatly improved, and I saw lots of movement on the breakout. When it did get tight I didn't see any heads hanging or any sign of quitting on either side! Which is wonderful. Cause let's face it... this league, it's a knock out drag out...any day you can win, but you gotta show up to have a chance!
      Good weekend Bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by wmnshkyfan View Post
        I saw both games in Ohio this weekend. Here's my take as an embarassed "no hat" fan! that'll never happen again! To tell the truth I cannot remember the last womens hockey games I attended where we had 2 natural hat tricks in the same series. And I'd never have believed they'd have scored 9 goals on Tommcikova.
        I agree I see a much tighter team unit. It was definately the Spooner/ Tarr show but I was really encouraged by the play of the young forwards also. They work hard, skate hard and go to the net. Spooner was amazing friday night! Passing seems greatly improved, and I saw lots of movement on the breakout. When it did get tight I didn't see any heads hanging or any sign of quitting on either side! Which is wonderful. Cause let's face it... this league, it's a knock out drag out...any day you can win, but you gotta show up to have a chance!
        Good weekend Bucks.
        Hey, I forgot to wear hats this weekend, too! Agree with you wholeheartedly. I was amazed at the scoring against Tomcikova. She is clearly one of the top goalies in the league, if not the country. I, like you, have been very encouraged, and excited, at the improvement the ladies have made in all facets of their games, and the freshmen players appear to be hitting the ground running. Cannot wait to get to the OSU Ice Rink Friday night for the opener of the St Cloud series.

Comment

It's gameday! Cannot wait to get to the OSU Ice Rink!

Comment

Ok, I feel like I am having a conversation with myself (LOL)! The Buckeyes took game one of this one by a final score of 5-1. Five different players scored goals for the Buckeyes. Goals were scored by Danielle Gagne, Laura McIntosh, Natalie Spooner, Hokey Langan, and Tina Hollowell. Nice game, ladies! Let's go for the sweep tomorrow! GO BUCKS!

Comment

Pgb-ohio, this is where you give us your "unofficial" three stars of the game!

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
                Always wondered. Where does the passion come from? Booster club or what? Are you a player rep or a ?

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
                  Well... I was torn about that. The post is up on the WCHA league thread, as it has been in the past. Since we're located a fair distance from the rest of the schools in the WCHA, I've always regarded the my "three stars" as a shout out to the rest of the league, not just the current opponent. I truly want to support the OSU threads you've started, but I think the three stars posts will reach more readers on the league thread. And our ranks are thin enough as it is.

All that said, I'm certainly willing consider arguments to contrary and will review same with an open mind.

Comment

Originally posted by CanHockGuy View Post
                    Always wondered. Where does the passion come from? Booster club or what? Are you a player rep or a ?
                    Just another kid who grew up in Minnesota with a backyard hockey rink. It's been a long time since I've lived in Minnesota. But wherever I've lived, I've never lost my passion for the world's greatest sport.

Understand that I also support the OSU Men and have thoroughly enjoyed following the CCHA. But it is kind of special to see my chosen school compete against the schools from "back home." Long live the Women's WCHA!

EDIT: Oops -- looks like the question wasn't meant for me. But that's OK. One of the great things about the Board is the passion we ALL share for the game. Presumably another log for the "hot stove" is a plus, not a minus.
                    Last edited by pgb-ohio; 10-17-2011, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                      Well... I was torn about that. The post is up on the WCHA league thread, as it has been in the past. Since we're located a fair distance from the rest of the schools in the WCHA, I've always regarded the my "three stars" as a shout out to the rest of the league, not just the current opponent. I truly want to support the OSU threads you've started, but I think the three stars posts will reach more readers on the league thread. And our ranks are thin enough as it is.

All that said, I'm certainly willing consider arguments to contrary and will review same with an open mind.
                      Another option you'd have would be to post your three stars in the WCHA thread or the game thread, and link to them in another thread by quoting yourself like:
                      Final From Friday, October 14th
                      Ohio State 5
                      St. Cloud State 1

Three Stars of the Game: Decidedly Unofficial and Just For Fun

#3 Star: Paige Semenza, Ohio State
                      #2 Star: (Tie)Annie Svedin, Ohio State and Madison Marcotte, Ohio State
                      #1 Star: (Tie)Taylor Kuehl, Ohio State and Natalie Spooner, Ohio State
                      Or you could use the Ohio State team thread in addition to or instead of either of the others. I kind of like doing something in that thread to keep it active, because even though it is predominantly the two of you volleying back and forth at this point, new Buckeye posters may feel more free to join you in an OSU-dedicated thread.
                      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                        Another option you'd have would be to post your three stars in the WCHA thread or the game thread, and link to them in another thread by quoting yourself...
                        Or you could use the Ohio State team thread in addition to or instead of either of the others. I kind of like doing something in that thread to keep it active, because even though it is predominantly the two of you volleying back and forth at this point, new Buckeye posters may feel more free to join you in an OSU-dedicated thread.
                        Definitely food for thought. The league thread is something of a clearinghouse, with lots of helpful links. A link or quote to the three stars would be in the same spirit.

It would great if the team thread prospers, at least to the extent of staying on Page 1 throughout the season. Agreed, that might embolden some OSU fans to graduate from lurking and begin posting -- which would clearly be a plus.

My current thought is that we don't have the numbers to sustain Weekly Team vs. Team threads, and we'd be better off concentrating on the All-Season OSU thread. In general, that's what the other schools on the Women's Hockey Board have been doing. But we should let '86 reflect on this weekend's experience and make the call.

As for Saturday's three stars, I won't shift gears in the middle of a series. I'll put that post on the league thread. After that we can either stay the course or chart a new one, as the case may be.

Comment

As for Saturday's three stars, I won't shift gears in the middle of a series. I'll put that post on the league thread.
                          Yes, I think the WCHA thread is a good place for your 3 Stars post. It is highly focused on hockey, so fans of the Buckeyes, your opponent, plus league fans in general should have an interest. The addition of links to the posts in the Ohio State thread would allow OSU fans to browse through the season info after the fact without needing to wade through all of the unrelated posts in the conference thread. You could create such links after the fact if you wished, like adding them on Sunday or Monday for the weekend's series. Anything you decide is great by me; I'm just glad you take the time to give us your impressions of the game.
                          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by CanHockGuy View Post
                            Hello CanHockGuy! The passion comes from being an OSU grad, a big hockey fan, and I was fortunate to marry a young lady who is also a huge hockey fan, though she is a Bowling Green grad, so a couple times a year when our men's teams hook up, we are a house divided. I have been a past member of the Center Ice Club (former booster club for our men's hockey team), and we have been members of the Hat Trick Club also (women's hockey boosters). Definitely not a player rep. Mrs 86 don't have any kids on the teams. I mention that because we do get asked that from time to time at the games. We were just asked that at last night's game ... "Which one is yours." "Oh, we don't have a kid on the team, we're just big fans." There is no admission charge for the OSU women's hockey games, so it's a cheap date for us, and we sure love the kids!

Comment

Pgb-ohio, no argument from me. I just enjoy reading and will simply check the WCHA thread. Nice to start off the season with 8 points in the league, huh?!?

Comment

Working...
                              X