This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Union Hockey 2011-2012 Season Thread "We Can See Cleary Now"

Could Union lose any of the next three games? Yeah, they could. Upsets happen. But I don't expect them to lose any of them, that's all. I'll concede saying "relatively easy" was a bit much, though.

Comment

was nice to see freshman play saturday. I think with few more games they may start to show us something...

Comment

Article today on NHL.com about Union

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=598625
        National Champions 2014!
        Cleary Cup Champions 2011, 2012, 2014, 2017!
        Whitelaw Cup Champions 2012, 2013, 2014!!!
        Let's Go U!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Rolevio View Post

That was a great article - thanks for linking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rolevio View Post

Great read and great win over SLU tonight. Good job by Troy to keep them off the board. Let's hope we can complete the sweep tomorrow night in Potsdam.
            LET'S GO UNION DA DA DADADA

Comment

Some video from the @ St. Lawrence win

Comment

Make it a North Country sweep thanks to a 3-1 win over Clarkson. Grosenick had a shutout into the third and Zajac joined the 100 club.

Comment

Union's effort last night improved immensely over Friday's v. SLU which they managed to win with less that their best performance. Brian Yanovitch had the best game I can recall his having with a big first period goal and assist. He may well have worked his way into a regular spot in the lineup. Groesnick continues to look very good in goal making all of the routine stops and most of the tough ones. It seems also that his D works very hard in front of him. Still some concerns remain about the lack of scoring from the Welsh line, but I have to imagine that they will come around or perhaps Coach does some line shuffling to shake things up a bit. Ho hum, another North Country sweep. Hopefully the first shift injury to Vasaturo is not serious as Union is getting a bit thin in the D-corps.

Kudos also to the Dutchwomen who had their first ever undefeated ECAC weekend with a win v. Clarkson and a tie last night v. SLU.

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
                    Kudos also to the Dutchwomen who had their first ever undefeated ECAC weekend with a win v. Clarkson and a tie last night v. SLU.
                    It's been a loooooong time coming for the women, hopefully they can build on this.
                    National Champions 2014!
                    Cleary Cup Champions 2011, 2012, 2014, 2017!
                    Whitelaw Cup Champions 2012, 2013, 2014!!!
                    Let's Go U!!!

Comment

• Re: Union Hockey 2011-2012 Season Thread "We Can See Cleary Now"

Just noticed that Grosenick is number 1 goalie in D-1 and that I've been spelling his name wrong. Keith who?

Comment

Jeeze. You're making the NC sweep look like child's play. Congrats.
                        Hockeyenthusiast

Colgate Class of '03

-I saw Andy McDonald play at Starr Rink.

Comment

Already looking forward to next weekend, the first time in a month Union will have a weekend with two home games. With the Tuesday 11/15 game @ RPI, that'll be three games in 5 nights for Union. Grosenick has been outstanding, but with three games in 5 nights, maybe start Stevens on Fri vs Brown and Grosenick Sat vs Yale and Tues 11/15 @ RPI?
                          Last edited by rdf8585; 11-06-2011, 11:54 AM.

Comment

I was impressed by Union's defensive play more than anything last night. You guys block a TON of shots. You're also the first team that Clarkson has seen that is faster than we are, and it took us about 30 minutes to figure out how to handle it. By then, it was too late. Union also seemed very disciplined and the game wasn't as chippy as recent years have been. I think Clarkson proved this weekend that they aren't a 12th place team, but they certainly didn't prove that they belong it the top 4 yet, either. Union right now is still the top and will stay there until someone knocks them down, and if they can keep up the effort and skill they showed at Cheel this weekend it is going to be an uphill battle for the rest of the ECAC.

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
                              Just noticed that Grosenick is number 1 goalie in D-1 and that I've been spelling his name wrong. Keith who?
                              Keith who indeed! I think we can safely say that the big offseason concern about goaltending has been answered. While I'm not expecting Troy to put up +95% save numbers like he has right now for the entire season, there really is no reason to think that he & Stevens won't give Union a very good chance to win every night and at least be as good as KK was his freshman year. I just don't see any glaring weakness with Grosenick's game. He is very good controlling rebounds, has a nice glove hand, is sound technically, moves up/down & laterally well, and even handles the puck pretty well (MUCH better than Kinkaid BTW). He makes a lot of difficult save look easy.. which is usually the sign of a very good goaltender. He does get a little off his angles at times when he moves side to side, but that's a pretty minor quibble since plenty of goalies in the NHL have problems with that too. I'm sure there will be some not so good nights for Troy as the season goes along.. but certainly he is off to an excellent start.

As for the offense, outside of the PP there isn't a lot of balance yet and production 5x5 has been an issue. The Welsh line, particularly Carr & Jooris, are having trouble finding the scoresheet. They seem to be generating chances, so would think the coaches will be patient and not juggle them up too much just yet. But at some point, it may be an idea to move Carr with Zajac & Simpson and see if that perks up Daniel's sniping success, and could move someone like Hatch or Sullivan to Welsh's line to see if a little more physical play gets things going. And it does look like the 3rd & 4th lines are starting to establish themselves a bit. K. Bodie and Novak are doing well and looks like the coaches really like Coatta (& I do too). Would not be surprised to see Yano establish himself in the mix, which leave moving in & out players like Ikkala, Ciampini, Mingoia, etc. depending on the opponent and who is playing/practicing well.

Overall, not much to complain about yet
                              Last edited by ADK11; 11-07-2011, 01:28 PM.
                              UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

Hello fans of Union Hockey-

I just wanted to quickly touch base with you in regards to the Goals For Good project. In short, it's a competitive goal-a-thon between every team in the ECAC, and every team has partnered with a charity in close relation to their team, school, and or community. We're currently looking for more prizes, but as of now, there is $1,000 on the line going to the local food cupboard of the team that raises the most money. Please check out www.goalsforgood.org to learn more and support your team and their charity by way of their goals and wins.

Thank you,
                                Kevin McNamara

Comment

Working...
                                X