X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Union Hockey 2011-2012 Season Thread "We Can See Cleary Now"

Originally posted by ADK11 View Post
    Yup, they wouldn't have had the 10 TUC games.. and (though mostly irrelevant) they didn't do so well in those games either. The change added 3-4 teams to U's TUC list including a couple that they swept in league play.
    It could be relevant, as a wash vs. a point could mean the difference between you winning and losing that comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by ADK11 View Post
      And it irks me that Union went out and played a virtual murderers row of OOC road games against some of the top programs in the country and STILL have a lousy SOS rating.
      I mentioned the concept of quality schedule a few posts back and this is kind of what I meant. Union used to schedule a lot of patsies for non-league games. And we got a lot of flak for it in the past.(always a mention about us playing the bedridden ladies of the poor or some silliness as that). I think that scheduling a lot of tough OOC games obviously helps the SOS, but its also a token of being just as good or relevant as any other program in the league, or the nation. Don't get me wrong, we still schedule Army and AIC every year and its been that way since I went to Union. Those games have their place in the schedule. I just believe that in terms of acceptance, that it's a little easier to be given respect by the other OOC teams if you're willing to leave the comfort level of the ECAC, for better or worse, and venture into some harsh barns to take on good programs.....

Question: did Union sign the contract for CC and DU for a home and home or was it just a one time deal? The same goes for Michigan. I won't be there if it does happen, but it would be cool to host these great programs in Achilles (oops, I mean Messa. It was called Achilles in my day)......Merrimack has been in the building that I know....One year, Maine came down to play us and we scored first early on and the place went nuts and the Maine players looked visibly unnerved by the atmosphere in the place....Of course, they went into intermission, fixed that flaw, and blew our doors off to win the game......It gets old having the same Liberty League foes on campus year after year.....

Keith.
      Keith Reynolds
      Union College
      Class of 1992
      B.A. in Economics/Mathematics

University of Nevada - Las Vegas
      Class of 2001
      M.S. in Sports and Leisure Management

"I went to Union before it sucked...."

Comment

Originally posted by uniontrack View Post
        Question: did Union sign the contract for CC and DU for a home and home or was it just a one time deal? The same goes for Michigan. I won't be there if it does happen, but it would be cool to host these great programs in Achilles (oops, I mean Messa. It was called Achilles in my day)......Merrimack has been in the building that I know....One year, Maine came down to play us and we scored first early on and the place went nuts and the Maine players looked visibly unnerved by the atmosphere in the place....Of course, they went into intermission, fixed that flaw, and blew our doors off to win the game......It gets old having the same Liberty League foes on campus year after year.....
        IMO, theres a chance CC will head to Schenectady as they returned a trip to HFH this year,i would be shocked if you saw Michigan, i think i heard their gonna play Cornell at lynah (dont hold me to that) and doubt they will give up the home gate for 2 ECAC trips and DU wouldn't head to HFH a few years ago after RPI played out there for 2 games and our coach was an assistant there for years. JMO
        RPI

Comment

Coburn is out tomorrow against Princeton and most likely will be against Qpac as well. Forgaard is back healthy for the first week in just over a month and will play tomorrow. Thats all I have for tomorrows game on injuries

Comment

Originally posted by FieldHouseFaithful View Post
            IMO, theres a chance CC will head to Schenectady as they returned a trip to HFH this year,i would be shocked if you saw Michigan, i think i heard their gonna play Cornell at lynah (dont hold me to that) and doubt they will give up the home gate for 2 ECAC trips and DU wouldn't head to HFH a few years ago after RPI played out there for 2 games and our coach was an assistant there for years. JMO
            I highly doubt CC will go out to Schenectady. Remember that not only did RPI go out to Colorado Springs for a weekend last year, but their athletic director used to work for the 'tute. As for the Denver "return", RPI was invited to their tournament, and the host school pays that fare.

Union might have better luck bringing in NC opponents if they moved the games to the Pepsi Center (or whatever the heck they call it now).

Comment

Times Union Center/ Pepsi for an OOC home game...interesting.

I'd go...but nothing against the rest of us Union fans, we're not as strong as RPI or Cornell. I think the place would be crickets.

We went to the tournament two years ago against cornell and it was 75/25 cornell/union fans. I just don't think the fan base is there to sell tickets. I'll mention it to the GM of the TUC though. I'd bring the wife.

See everyone Saturday!

Lets go U

Comment

I'm starting to think Stevens will be playing both games this weekend. I don't think they'll chance throwing Grosenick out there at less than 100% and risk him re-aggravating things... not with Cornell and Colgate on tap next weekend and the postseason not long after that. I'm starting to think the goal is for Grosenick to be ready to go next weekend. On Grosenick, Bennett was quoted in Schott's game advance that it's fair to say he'll play this weekend and fair to say he won't. I could be wrong, but I'd bet on the latter. Based on the article, it seems like Grosenick has made strides but isn't all the way there.

We'll find out soon enough.

Comment

Originally posted by uniondutch21 View Post
                  Times Union Center/ Pepsi for an OOC home game...interesting.

I'd go...but nothing against the rest of us Union fans, we're not as strong as RPI or Cornell. I think the place would be crickets.

We went to the tournament two years ago against cornell and it was 75/25 cornell/union fans. I just don't think the fan base is there to sell tickets. I'll mention it to the GM of the TUC though. I'd bring the wife.

See everyone Saturday!

Lets go U
                  To be fair, if Cornell hosted a regular season game at TUC, there would be more crickets than fans, too. The only reason our large neutral site regular season games have been selling out is because they're against a big name opponent (BU) in MSG. Move them to pretty much any other arena in the country, even ones closer to Ithaca (possible exception of Fleet Center?) and the place would be less than half full.
                  If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by rdf8585 View Post
                    I'm starting to think Stevens will be playing both games this weekend. I don't think they'll chance throwing Grosenick out there at less than 100% and risk him re-aggravating things... not with Cornell and Colgate on tap next weekend and the postseason not long after that. I'm starting to think the goal is for Grosenick to be ready to go next weekend. On Grosenick, Bennett was quoted in Schott's game advance that it's fair to say he'll play this weekend and fair to say he won't. I could be wrong, but I'd bet on the latter. Based on the article, it seems like Grosenick has made strides but isn't all the way there.

We'll find out soon enough.
                    Rick Bennett was on the local College Hockey show last night on Time Warner and said Grosenick was about 90%, other than that he was noncommittal. He was also asked if he felt pressure to play all the seniors on Senior Night Saturday. He equivocated a bit and said his first priority is to win the game but he acknowledged the desire to let the seniors play. He mentioned one in particular, not by name, who had been in and out of the lineup and he seemed to be on the fence about his playing (Yanovitch perhaps?).

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
                      Rick Bennett was on the local College Hockey show last night on Time Warner and said Grosenick was about 90%, other than that he was noncommittal. He was also asked if he felt pressure to play all the seniors on Senior Night Saturday. He equivocated a bit and said his first priority is to win the game but he acknowledged the desire to let the seniors play. He mentioned one in particular, not by name, who had been in and out of the lineup and he seemed to be on the fence about his playing (Yanovitch perhaps?).
                      Ah, I have Verizon Fios, so I didn't see that. We'll see.

Comment

Ah, I have Verizon Fios, so I didn't see that. We'll see.
                        Speaking of Fios and a bit off topic, I am really torqued off at Time Warner and MSG. They've been pulled since New Year's so I've missed my beloved Rangers who have been having a fantastic year, and for the first time in 5 years when I'd actually like to be watching the Knicks, can't do it. What's really annoying is that even when NHL Network has the game, it is still blacked out here. Well, what do you expect for $170 a month.

Comment

If it's available where you are, FIOS is great (and likely notably cheaper than 170). With what I have, I do get the MSG networks and NHL Network. Plus the 3 FOX College Sports Networks (you see several college hockey games on those... most often ND, Denver, Minnesota seem to be on). The Big 10 Network had a Michigan State-Michigan college hockey game last week as well. I'll say I'm surprised the MSG thing has gone on this long... I was surprised it got to a point that it was shut off to begin with, but now there's no end in sight.

Comment

If it's available where you are, FIOS is great (and likely notably cheaper than 170). With what I have, I do get the MSG networks and NHL Network. Plus the 3 FOX College Sports Networks (you see several college hockey games on those... most often ND, Denver, Minnesota seem to be on). The Big 10 Network had a Michigan State-Michigan college hockey game last week as well. I'll say I'm surprised the MSG thing has gone on this long... I was surprised it got to a point that it was shut off to begin with, but now there's no end in sight.
                            Fios unfortunately is not available where I live in Renss. County.

Comment

Coburn is in fact playing today yesterday he wasnt in the lineup but is gonna play tonight, i dont know what D isnt playing. Grosenick is also playing tonight

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
                                Fios unfortunately is not available where I live in Renss. County.
                                I got NHL Center Ice to watch the Sabres. It's costly, but worth it if you want to see your team.

Comment

Working...
                                X