• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Union Hockey 2011-2012 Season Thread "We Can See Cleary Now"

This is going to be fun. Let's go Red!

Comment

Up to #2 in this week's INCH Power Rankings: http://insidecollegehockey.com/5Poll...polls_1020.htm

The Dutchmen have scored 37 power-play goals and allowed just 16 PPGs by their opponents. The only other team in the country with at least a 2-to-1 ratio in that department is Quinnipiac.
      LET'S GO UNION DA DA DADADA

Comment

Nicely put in perspective by the guys at Union Hockey Blog:

http://unionhockeyblog.blogspot.com/...-rankings.html

Comment

Rick Bennett's credo is "Stay Humble". It may be tough with young kids, but I think if anyone can manage those emotions, he can. Besides which, he has an assitant coach lurking in the background, Mr. "Bench". Business at hand the next two weekends will hopefully keep everyone focused. I am guessing that a "the playoffs start this weekend" approach is in order.

Comment

Greetings All!

I have been lurking in these forums for a few years now and I finally decided to show my ugly mug to the masses......

I graduated Union in 1992, which, coincidentally, was Union's first year in D-I.

I had season tickets in Section K right at the blue line on the uppermost row in the lower deck, just before the aisle divider to the upper deck. I had these for 4 years before I left the Capital Region for the bright lights of Las Vegas.....

I have worked in Union's athletic Department and i am very familiar with the procedures and the general philosophies of the School......

This experience has given me insight as to why you won't see a new rink anytime soon, short of a major donor stepping up with a restricted donation.....

I also can enlighten any RPI folks on why the Route 7 rivalry is so intense and why we cheer every goal against RPI, even the empty net ones.....(nod to WithoutaPeer)

I get the Twitter updates on my phone and I occasionally listen to the radio broadcast over the internet since I live about two hours from the Pacific Ocean......

I am a huge supporter and fan of all Union Sports and especially Union Hockey, just ask Jim Teresco......

I have a lot of pride for the teams success both this year and last year and I hope that the only non-Ivy school with Ivy scholarship rules can continue to attract top talent and compete at this high level.....

Thanks for listening and I will chime in a lot more often with my thoughts......

Please feel free to ask any question or to critique my input......

Let's Go U!!!!!

Keith.
            Keith Reynolds
            Union College
            Class of 1992
            B.A. in Economics/Mathematics

University of Nevada - Las Vegas
            Class of 2001
            M.S. in Sports and Leisure Management

"I went to Union before it sucked...."

Comment

#2 in the INCH poll??? A tad aggressive??

Comment

Originally posted by uniondutch21 View Post
                Eastern Bias.

Comment

USCHO - 8th
                  USA Today - 8th

PWR - tied for 10th

Comment

Originally posted by uniondutch21 View Post
                    I agree. Either the poll is very biased or the Dutchmen have a lot to live up to.......

The boys have played some good games this year and the wins over Merrimack and Michigan were huge...

However, we couldn't dispatch DU or CC or UNH and last year, it seemed any time we were on TV, the offense would look like a deer in headlights and that left the D and the goalie hung out to dry.......

I want to think we are that good, however the proof is in the puddin'......

Until we win a few real ECAC tournament games and then post a win or two at Nationals, these polls make me cringe.....

Keith.
                    Keith Reynolds
                    Union College
                    Class of 1992

Class of 2001

Comment

#19 in KRACH
                      It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
                        #19 in KRACH
                        Western Bias.

In any case, the formula is what it is. It helps that Union had a very strong showing vs. the CCHA (1-0-2, including beating UMAA), and given the CCHA is the league that is owning the majority of PWR slots at this point, it highly benefits Union. For the ECAC's sake, I do hope they can get in at-large and a make a good showing. The league is long since overdue.
                        Last edited by FlagDUDE08; 02-14-2012, 01:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                          Western Bias.

In any case, the formula is what it is. It helps that Union had a very strong showing vs. the CCHA (1-0-2, including beating UMAA), and given the CCHA is the league that is owning the majority of PWR slots at this point, it highly benefits Union. For the ECAC's sake, I do hope they can get in at-large and a make a good showing. The league is long since overdue.
                          Good point. I knew that the quality schedule this year would pay dividends eventually......

The next goal for Union is to show up to at least the semi's in the ECAC tourney and then win a few NCAA tournament games......until then, the team will be always be just about hype to those outside the ECAC....

I hope there can be continued peaceful fan talk about hockey here in Union land...I obviously made a mistake trying to extend the olive branch after my admittedly brash "intro" in another thread.....
                          Keith Reynolds
                          Union College
                          Class of 1992

Class of 2001

Comment

Actually, Union's strength-of-schedule ranks 39th! Good thing they did schedule those tough OOC games or it might have been worse. The killer this season is that there are 6 teams in ECAC with 10 or fewer wins.. What helps U in the PWR is having an excellent winning percentage (currently 4th in the nation) and a decent record against TUC teams. There is a lot of hockey still to be played and nothing is guaranteed, especially given the arcane PWR system and how it rewards the big 3 leagues.

However, I do agree that the team has an opportunity to do something really special. U has 2 things that COULD spell success in the post-season; great defense and a great powerplay. Amazingly, both are better than last year's team. Last Saturday was only the 2nd time this season that U has given up as many as 4 goals.. and frankly Stevens had a bit of a tough night. Allowing 3 goals or less gives you a great chance to win every night. And the PP is much more dangerous this season. Last year's PP was very predictable and in the last couple months of the season teams were devising strategies to defuse it. UMD certainly had no problems killing the 8 or so opportunities U had, and I'm sure the coaches thought long hard all summer about how to prevent that again. This year's PP is much more diverse and less predictable and has more passing & bodies down low to create traffic in front of the net. There were some growing pains early in the season with it, but it has really clicked the past month & half. They made Cornell's PK look stupid.. which is something I've never expected to see. I'm not saying that U is going to win the league championship and make it to the F4 - you need not only talent, etc. but also a certain amount of luck to do that - but the potential for this team is big right now.
                            UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

I know we still have the playoffs, but can anyone believe the final regular season home games are this weekend? Just seems unreal... the pair of games vs Western Michigan seem like yesterday.

PS: check out the USCHO podcast: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/uscholi...n-sullivan.mp3

With former Union coach Nate Leaman (Union mentioned briefly) and later with USCHO columnist Brian Sullivan (lots of ECAC stuff).

Comment

Originally posted by uniontrack View Post
                                Good point. I knew that the quality schedule this year would pay dividends eventually......

The next goal for Union is to show up to at least the semi's in the ECAC tourney and then win a few NCAA tournament games......until then, the team will be always be just about hype to those outside the ECAC....

I hope there can be continued peaceful fan talk about hockey here in Union land...I obviously made a mistake trying to extend the olive branch after my admittedly brash "intro" in another thread.....
                                It's not a matter of "quality schedule". It's a matter of playing (and beating, or at least tying) the right opponents. As an example, last year RPI played and swept Alabama-Huntsville. They weren't necessarily a "quality opponent", but they had a victory over UNO, which gave a Pairwise Comparison (PWR) point over them when it comes to common opponents, and eventually helped RPI to make the tournament. In addition, we had beat BU that year, and they started kicking *** and taking names in Hockey East, which helped RPI with Pairwise all the more. In addition, the league's strong showing that year against the WCHA allowed for more COP rankings for the both of us (since Union also did very well in their non-conference play). This year, Union beat Michigan Ann Arbor. At this point, you want them to pretty much destroy the CCHA, because since the rest of the league didn't do all too well against that league (and you were the only ones in the ECAC to play UMAA), it gives you that many more chances to win Common Opponent comparisons. Obviously it doesn't help that teams like Ferris State and Miami did well against the ECAC teams, but if they lose to Michigan (Ferris lost both; Miami got a win and tie but lost to Colgate, so your game on the 25th will mean that much more in that comparison), that can give you a leg up.

When I come in here to post, I want to talk about Union hockey. After all, that's the subject of the thread. Because of my allegiances, most of my discussion points will be how Union relates to the rest of the league and country. Obviously I'll use some comparisons with my team here and there, because they always say that the best way to explain something is to associate it with something you know. There's no reason to woof, point fingers, or anything like that. We can save that for the game weekend threads.

Comment

Working...
                                X