This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Union Hockey 2011-2012 Season Thread "We Can See Cleary Now"

"We Can See Clearly Now" seems a bit premature, if not inaccurate. December was pivotal for the Dutchmen. With the disappointing Colorado trip they will have to put some major points on the board in the second half to reestablish their claim as a major contender. The ECAC looks more competitive than ever. The Dutchmen have a tall order.

Comment

Originally posted by Miami Ice View Post
      "We Can See Clearly Now" seems a bit premature, if not inaccurate. December was pivotal for the Dutchmen. With the disappointing Colorado trip they will have to put some major points on the board in the second half to reestablish their claim as a major contender. The ECAC looks more competitive than ever. The Dutchmen have a tall order.
      Actually by way of explanation, the thread title was a (not so clear(y) reference to last season's finish. Agreed that the second half will be a dogfight.

Comment

Originally posted by Miami Ice View Post
        disappointing, yes, but its not like we got killed. i actually think we played very well against cc. a 2-1 loss is still a loss, but we were definitely in the game against a great opponent. with the exception of the first 10 minutes against denver i also think we played really well. i agree with you that the dutchmen need to have a second half of the season similar to the second half of last year, but i also think that they are completely aware of and capable of that.

Comment

According to Ken Schott, Union has a new recruit. Tim Boyle, a 6'2/190 defenseman, has committed to Union. He currrently plays for Noble & Greenough and has 3 goals and 7 assists in 11 games. Fun fact - his brother, Brian, plays for the Rangers.

According to the High End Hockey website:

Congratulations to Nobles defenseman Tim Boyle on his commitment to Union College! Tim played for High End Hockey this past summer and went on the win the Massachusetts Midget Select League in the fall to secure a spot in the 2012 U18 National Championships with the Cape Cod Whalers. Joining him at Nationals will be fellow Nobles/Cape Cod teammate and HEH alumni Andrew Doane who is committed to Brown University.

Comment

Feature article in today's Albany TU on Troy Grosenick. http://www.timesunion.com/sports/art...et-2444686.php
            Big home weekend starting tonight, let's get 4 points. Go U!

Comment

Originally posted by rdf8585 View Post
              According to Ken Schott, Union has a new recruit. Tim Boyle, a 6'2/190 defenseman, has committed to Union. He currrently plays for Noble & Greenough and has 3 goals and 7 assists in 11 games. Fun fact - his brother, Brian, plays for the Rangers.

According to the High End Hockey website:
              I think there are 13 Boyle children. Props to Mrs. Boyle . U's NHL sibling trend continues.

Comment

Are Kyle and Mat Bodie any relation to Troy Bodie, who plays for the Crunch?

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
                  Feature article in today's Albany TU on Troy Grosenick. http://www.timesunion.com/sports/art...et-2444686.php
                  Big home weekend starting tonight, let's get 4 points. Go U!
                  Good article. I'm expecting he starts both games this weekend, but we'll see.

Here's Max Novak in the "meet the freshman" series: http://youtu.be/sWO-eJPRTMc

Well spoken... sounds like a veteran.

Vintage video - Rick Bennett gets into a scrap in his Ranger days: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33zxaI5kYGQ
                  Last edited by rdf8585; 01-06-2012, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rdf8585 View Post
                    Vintage video - Rick Bennett gets into a scrap in his Ranger days: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33zxaI5kYGQ
                    Over the holidays MSG Network (which has since pulled the plug on Time Warner ) broadcasted the Rangers v. Kings exhibition game held outdoors at Caesar's Palace in Vegas. I think the game time temperature was 85 degrees. Rick Bennett had an assist on one of the Rangers goals which I think was scored by Doug Wait.
                    Last edited by Wholin1; 01-06-2012, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Union's lines for tonight can be found @ http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lxeahfhNBB1qcayzi.jpg

Grosenick is in goal.

=====

That's pretty lousy what's going on with TWC-MSG, but TWC seems to always be in some kind of carriage battle or another. I pulled my own plug on TWC in November (got Verizon Fios). No regrets.
                      Last edited by rdf8585; 01-06-2012, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Hate to say it, but at this point, it's clear that this is a middle of the pack ECAC team. They couldn't beat Yale. Brown. Princeton. Quinnipiac. And now Harvard.

We witnessed yet another third period collapse tonight. A 3-1 lead going into the third ended in a 3-3 tie and Union is fortunate Harvard didn't win it late in regulation. Harvard completely dominated the latter stages of the third... Union was hanging by the threads of their jerseys. A stark contrast from early in the game as Union came out looking great and scored only 65 seconds into the game. They held Harvard to only three or four shots in the first... it was looking like Union's night for sure. But I guess it's a reminder that these games last 60 minutes, not 20 or 40.

This is, what, the third time in 6 home games where they had a lead going into/in the third and failed to come away with a win? That's not even mentioning the 3-0 collapse at Princeton. The best teams find a way to win those kind of games, especially on their own ice. But not coming away with wins in those games has happened too much. I'd like to see Vasaturo in there tomorrow night to add some more physical presence. Union was worn down by Harvard's physical play in the third.

Apparently, Union now leads the country in ties with 6 (9-5-6 overall). Not exactly what you aspire to lead in. Schott tweeted that last year's team would bury their opponents. Why hasn't this one? Many of the players from last year are back this year, but something is missing.

Speaking of Schott, here's his post game video: http://www.dailygazette.com/videos/2012/jan/06/921/

Comment

• Originally posted by rdf8585 View Post
                          Hate to say it, but at this point, it's clear that this is a middle of the pack ECAC team. They couldn't beat Yale. Brown. Princeton. Quinnipiac. And now Harvard.

We witnessed yet another third period collapse tonight. A 3-1 lead going into the third ended in a 3-3 tie and Union is fortunate Harvard didn't win it late in regulation. Harvard completely dominated the latter stages of the third... Union was hanging by the threads of their jerseys. A stark contrast from early in the game as Union came out looking great and scored only 65 seconds into the game. They held Harvard to only three or four shots in the first... it was looking like Union's night for sure. But I guess it's a reminder that these games last 60 minutes, not 20 or 40.

This is, what, the third time in 6 home games where they had a lead going into/in the third and failed to come away with a win? That's not even mentioning the 3-0 collapse at Princeton. The best teams find a way to win those kind of games, especially on their own ice. But not coming away with wins in those games has happened too much. I'd like to see Vasaturo in there tomorrow night to add some more physical presence. Union was worn down by Harvard's physical play in the third.

Apparently, Union now leads the country in ties with 6 (9-5-6 overall). Not exactly what you aspire to lead in. Schott tweeted that last year's team would bury their opponents. Why hasn't this one? Many of the players from last year are back this year, but something is missing.

Speaking of Schott, here's his post game video: http://www.dailygazette.com/videos/2012/jan/06/921/
                          Can't disagree with the "middle of the pack" assessment.. this was a game that U should have broken wide open in the 1st & 2nd periods. IMO the lack of converting scoring chances at even strength is what's hurting the most. I too thought going into the season that the offense would be at least as good as last year's and possibly better, but that hasn't quite been the case. It's easy for us fans to look at the stats of the returning players and expect that they'll be at least as good as last season and hopefully better, but that obviously is not how it always works.

It has to be remembered that 8 very good seniors and an All-American goalie left this past summer. Included in that group were some of the best defensive players U has ever had in Brock Matheson, John Simpson and Andrew Buote. And then there was Presiznuk who is only U's D-1 career leading scorer. Each of the seniors was strong on the puck, experienced in the U system and had been through the wars of all these tight league games. All of this added up to a lot of intangibles that made the difference in a number of very very tight games down the stretch last season. There are a lot of freshmen and sophomores in key roles this season, and the cohesiveness and crispness of having played and practiced together for 3+ seasons just isn't there yet. Hopefully it will come together soon (like say tomorrow night) or else U will find themselves fighting for 1st round home ice..
                          UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

Excellent post by ADK11. After the first period especially, I thought Harvard was fortunate to only be down a goal. Union certainly had a bevy of good chances throughout the game but didn't capitalize on enough of them. People can only use the "hot goalie" excuse for so long.

Intangibles probably do get underrated. Sometimes it's easy to get fixated on things you can see in the boxscore while ignoring things that can't be measured. Upperclass role players like Cain, Pallos, Boileau, Buote might be more appreciated now than when they were here.

It's easy to forget we also have a rookie head coach. While Bennett had been an assistant for many years, it's undoubtedly different when you're running the team. I'm sure there have been growing pains there too. It's not easy when you're doing something for the first time. Dumais is in his first year at Union and I think Tapp's responsibilities have increased this year too. A lot of upheaval behind the bench.

Dartmouth won't be easy. I expected Union to win going into this weekend, but now it's a 50-50 proposition for me.

Comment

Big sigh. That was indeed a bitter pill to swallow last night. This is a talented but young team still trying to define itself and find a way to finish chances and to finish games. I'm as puzzled as anyone but I still see the glass as half full but with each game and each lost opportunity, time is growing shorter. In many ways I think it is unfair to compare this year's team with last year's which reached what to date is the program's high water mark. As mentioned, the seniors who led that team were a unique group in terms of talent and perhaps most importantly, leadership. I think this team can make its own mark--eventually. Whether it will be this season, I have no idea. U is still within striking distance of a first round bye and it would take an epic collapse to fall out of the top eight. With all of the disappointments, they can still make their mark.

Credit also to Harvard which is a big, fast and talented team. Michalek made a bunch of big saves, and although he gave up numerous rebounds they were hard ones that seemed to jump off of Union sticks. Being up only one after a dominant first period was representative of Union's difficulties in finishing chances. Also the review nullifying Bennett's goal which led to the PP to tie the game was a huge buzz kill. One thing that struck me about that was that the replay which nullified the goal also resulted in the penalty call against Union which I don't think was initially made by the officials. I didn't realize a penalty could be based on a review, I assumed it was only to determine goal or no goal.

Every league game is huge but I think after last night's disappointment, tonight's v. Dartmouth will tell a lot about the character and resiliency of this team. I'm looking or at least hoping for a big Union bounceback.

Comment

Lines for tonight: http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lxg5oo5Mje1qcayzi.jpg

Novak, Coburn, Forgaard sitting. Mingoia, Reid, Vasaturo starting.

Comment

Working...
                                X