X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Union Hockey 2011-2012 Season Thread "We Can See Cleary Now"

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
    The thing that stands out most to me is that Union finally played three strong periods and against a quality opponent. They'll need to duplicate (or triplicate?) those performances out west. Nice way for the team and coaches to go into the holiday break.
    Great win W1. You guys are the real deal. Coach Bennett hasn't skipped a beat. Maybe with a top notch team like this one it is time to add a few more urinals and get the kid with the flashlight a bigger one. Seriously, nice work.
    "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

I watched the game yesterday and Union looked very impressive. I'm looking forward to seeing them at CC for what should be one hell of a game. Personally, I'm hoping they beat DU, then lose to CC.

Any Union fans coming out for these games?
      Colorado College Hockey: Finding new and creative ways to break your heart since 1957.
      -dggoddard

Comment

Originally posted by JS Tigers View Post
        I was going to ask the same thing. It's never too early to start planning for some New Years Eve debauchery, especially if you're spending it in a far-off city.

Comment

Originally posted by JS Tigers View Post
          I watched the game yesterday and Union looked very impressive. I'm looking forward to seeing them at CC for what should be one hell of a game. Personally, I'm hoping they beat DU, then lose to CC.

Originally posted by bunt_q View Post
          I was going to ask the same thing. It's never too early to start planning for some New Years Eve debauchery, especially if you're spending it in a far-off city.
          I'm saving my big trip for Tampa . Actually we are going to the FF in April, it would be nice if my team could join us there. I wouldn't expect more than a small contingent of U fans to travel to Colorado, I only know of two personally who are going and they were winners of a package at a silent auction.

I just hope we can make a better showing than the last trip to CC.

Comment

[QUOTE=Wholin1;5300092]The thing that stands out most to me is that Union finally played three strong periods and against a quality opponent. }
            Excellent point, Another thing i`ve noticed about Union is how few "easy goals/chances" they give any opponent. They make the opposition work real hard for everything they are going to get. Tough club.

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
              I'm saving my big trip for Tampa . Actually we are going to the FF in April, it would be nice if my team could join us there. I wouldn't expect more than a small contingent of U fans to travel to Colorado, I only know of two personally who are going and they were winners of a package at a silent auction.

I just hope we can make a better showing than the last trip to CC.
              Was the last time the Icebreaker (2005, IIRC) when CC and AFA handed it to 'em? If so, this sure is a FAR stronger team, and the program has obviously come a long way since then.

The game yesterday against 'mack was the first time this season I've seen Union play. They were impressive, but I can't judge what to expect out of a team based on one game. What can we expect from them, especially on the big ice at CC? How's their team speed? Do they prefer an up-tempo style, or more physical?

This is pretty early, but since I don't feel like starting a game thread yet, I'll post a brief preview here: CC prefers an up-tempo game, but they do have good toughness as well, and can play a fairly physical game when necessary, though it isn't their preferred style. Captain Nick Dineen is nearly immoveable once he gets positioned in front of the net, and he is also great on faceoffs, as is most of the team. The powerplay has a lot of movement, and is very strong, but also they give up some SH goals due to their high risk/high reward play. The team defense has been an adventure at times this season, and has often hung the goaltenders out to dry, so both goaltenders have less than impressive numbers. They are both good, however, and I expect things to come together for each of them. But for now, let's just say it's a **** good thing CC can score so much!

I don't expect to see a lot of Union fans out here for the games, especially because of the time of year, but hopefully there will at least be some!
              Colorado College Hockey: Finding new and creative ways to break your heart since 1957.
              -dggoddard

Comment

Highlights from @ Merrimack here: http://youtu.be/zPOpsxH652U

You can bump it up to 720p resolution if possible.

Comment

Big win for U! More challenges coming up. Next few weeks will define the season IMHO. Gotta keep climbing the PWR.
                  LET'S GO UNION DA DA DADADA

Comment

Union moves up 1 spot in the uscho.com poll. Hopefully we can pull out wins against CC and Denver to show we belong higher.

Comment

The first weekend of January (6th-7th) can't get here soon enough. It's starting to feel like we've had an entire offseason between games at Messa. But I guess we can take solace in that 9 of the final 15 games are at Messa. As things stand now, here's how I would rate the home weekends left on the schedule in terms of intrigue:

1. Colgate 2/3 and Cornell 2/4
                      This weekend happens in the last month of the regular season has the potential to be very meaningful in determining the top of the league standings. Cornell and Colgate currently occupy the top two spots in the league and have a combined league record of 12-3-1. Both seem positioned to be near the top all year. In fact, if I could only go to two games of the nine left at Messa, it's definitely these two as of now. Easily.

2. Harvard 1/6 and Dartmouth 1/7
                      Harvard is looking like they could be better than many expected. They're 4-1-2 in their past 7 games, including a win against the current second place team (Colgate). Dartmouth hasn't really picked up a lot of steam yet, but were picked to finish fourth/fifth in the preseason polls. Dartmouth is a team I could see going on a surge as we get into the new year and I wouldn't take them lightly. A solid weekend to look forward to re-open the home schedule with.

3. RPI 1/14
                      Only one home game that weekend, but it's RPI, and Union-RPI always has the chance to be special even if RPI has been in the toilet. The place will be jammed to the rafters and the crowd may have the best atmosphere of any home game this year.

4. Princeton 2/17 and Qunnipiac 2/18
                      Union will be out for revenge after their disappointing weekend on the road against these two in early December. They settled for a 3-3 tie at Princeton after having a 3-0 lead and tied Q-Pac 2-2. I don't think history will repeat itself and would tentatively expect Union to have a 4 point weekend.

5. Clarkson 1/27 and St. Lawrence 1/28
                      Union is clearly better than these teams - they swept them at their rinks in November while holding them to one combined goal. I also saw these two teams in Lake Placid and neither are on the level of Union. But they do play the games for a reason, so you never say never. On the surface, this weekend clearly lags behind the other four home weekends.

Comment

A pair of USCHO senior writers discuss Union -

Jim: That is very true, though I do feel that once we get past the new year, teams will begin to define themselves as national champion contenders. I think some of the early season success of teams like Merrimack, Lake Superior, Massachusetts-Lowell and Northern Michigan will be tested in the second half of the season. Of that quartet, only Merrimack has any true NCAA experience to draw from and, as you mentioned, the Warriors seem to be feeling the oats of what was a pretty easy early season schedule.

With that said, if all four of those teams were to drop out of the top 15 of the PairWise in the second half, what are the teams you would expect to move in? I can tell you the team that tops my list, having seen them play on Saturday: Union.

Todd: That was a pretty strong statement by the Dutchmen, going to Merrimack and spoiling the Warriors’ first-half finale. But, to me, Union has been tough to get a grip on this season. It will have a weekend where it scores one goal in two games, but it’ll go into Yost Arena and put up six goals on Michigan. The Dutchmen open the second half at Denver and at Colorado College, which could be huge games when it comes to the PairWise Rankings at the end of the season.

Jim: I think that you hit on Union’s weakness: offense. This is a team that plays incredible defense and I like its team speed. But scoring goals was the Dutchmen’s downfall in the NCAA tournament last season and that seems to still, at times, be an issue.

Read more: http://www.uscho.com/2011/12/20/tmq-...-a-and-point-b

Comment

To me, that is a fair analysis, particularly with regard to Union's offensive inconsistency. I think the issue with offense has been with the 3rd and 4th lines which provided tremendous scoring depth last season but are still looking for the right fit this season. Part of that also has to do with injuries and illness which has made it difficult to keep lines together. Union's defense and work ethic are to me the factors that keep them in most of their games. This is still a fairly young team and I think the tough first half of the season is going to bear fruit come March and who knows, maybe even April.

Comment

Coach on the radio show last night said that two areas he would like to see the team improve on in the second half are goal production and taking fewer penalties. So far as the OOC schedule for next year, he indicated that there will be a lot of road games again but hopes that the third season out will likely bring more teams in to Messa. He also mentioned that there will be two games against Penn State, which I believe are set for next season. I am not sure if those are home or away.

Comment

I would hope that at least the Penn State games are at home. I don't believe their new rink will be finished until 2013-2014.

Comment

Anyone hear anything about Ingoldsby lately? I haven't heard anything since it was reported awhile back that he would miss at least the first half of the season (just about done) and that he wasn't enrolled for the fall semester (over with).

Comment

Working...
                                X