Ohio State Women's Hockey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ohio State Women's Hockey

Just wanted to get some chatter going. I am excited about this season. We have a new coaching staff and some talented players. Michelle and I went to the exhibition game against Wilfred Laurier a couple weeks ago and it appeared to me that we really worked hard in the offseason. The passing looked sharper and we looked like everyone really worked on their skating in the offseason. We just looked quicker. Should be an interesting series against Bemidji this weekend. I will be at both games and am looking forward to getting to the OSU Ice Rink tomorrow and Saturday!

Re: Ohio State Women's Hockey

Good luck to OSU..... Would love to see you guys in the CHA! Bring it to 7 teams for the 2013/14 season. Just saying.

Comment

PurpleEagles ... I think OSU thought about that a number of years ago but decided to stay put in the WCHA. I can certainly see both sides of it. I think the travel would be easier in the CHA and we might be able to crack the top three or four consistently, which is something we have not been able to do in the WCHA. I think the best we have finished in the WCHA (regular season) is 4th. We have not been able to get past Minnesota, UMD, or Wisconsin. I'm heading to the OSU women's games this weekend. We're hosting Bemijdi State ... regular season opener. Cannot wait to get to the OSU Ice Rink tonight!

Comment

We're charter members of the Women's WCHA. Over the years I've put up a number of posts arguing that we should stay put, and I've haven't changed my mind. I'm not sure the topic needs to be fully revisited here, but just to quickly list a few highlights:

1. We're now in our 12th year in the league. That's a tradition worth keeping and building on. Yes, we're surrounded by chaos, and that obviously includes Men's D-1. But stability in conference affiliation remains a good thing.
        2. No disrespect to any of the other Women's D-1 leagues; they all have their selling points. But we're already part of the best league and shouldn't give that up, IMHO.
        3. We should continue in-league rivalries with fellow Big Ten members Minnesota & Wisconsin. As far as I'm concerned, the only reason to leave the Women's WCHA would be to join a Women's BTHC. And that particular development doesn't appear to be imminent.

I could go on and on. As the longtimers on the board know, I sometimes do. But as for the advantages of the WCHA, that'll suffice for now.

As for the CHA, I've enjoyed our games with those schools and hope we continue to compete regularly in non-conference action. But on the travel factor, the only advantage is budgetary. Air travel to the Twin Cities or Madison vs. a Bus Trip to State College, PA? The bus trip is clearly cheaper, but the flights are actually easier.

The addition of Penn State to the CHA is very interesting, and does give one pause to consider. Nevertheless, my vote is to remain true to our current conference mates.

Comment

No offense meant at OSU, but I think leaving the WCHA without something like the Big10 happening for womens' hockey would seem like saying 'we can't win here, we're going to a lesser league' and would then be a knock on the new coaching regime saying there's a lack of confidence in them. I will be interested to see what kind of momentum might be pushed towards a womens' Big10 type league after a few years of the men's version but hope it doesn't happen as a UMD fan

UMD#1

View Through My Lens.Net

UMD Game Photos

UMD Women's Hockey Fans Page

Comment

A quick and sincere thanks to osualum86 for starting this thread. Hope there's enough interest to keep a separate team thread going.

Also, here's a challenge for the fanbase: We must do a better job of recognizing hat tricks! Both Spooner and Tarr had hat tricks this weekend, only to receive limited fan reaction. Even if you're not willing to part with your headgear, at least come through with a standing ovation.

Comment

Originally posted by dhmn View Post
              No offense meant at OSU, but I think leaving the WCHA without something like the Big10 happening for womens' hockey would seem like saying 'we can't win here, we're going to a lesser league' and would then be a knock on the new coaching regime saying there's a lack of confidence in them.
              No offense taken. And while I wouldn't frame it in the same way, I generally agree with your sentiment. Trading down, even if only a little, just isn't appealing.
              Last edited by pgb-ohio; 10-09-2011, 12:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                A quick and sincere thanks to osualum86 for starting this thread. Hope there's enough interest to keep a separate team thread going.

Also, here's a challenge for the fanbase: We must do a better job of recognizing hat tricks! Both Spooner and Tarr had hat tricks this weekend, only to receive limited fan reaction. Even if you're not willing to part with your headgear, at least come through with a standing ovation.
                Not to mention both were natural hat tricks against a world class goaler!

I had a chance to watch Spooner during the Canadian National Women's team Fall Festival and can say without a doubt she had an epic camp and may well have been the best player out there at times. Obviously this has spilled over into her League play.

Comment

We're charter members of the Women's WCHA. Over the years I've put up a number of posts arguing that we should stay put, and I've haven't changed my mind. I'm not sure the topic needs to be fully revisited here, but just to quickly list a few highlights:

1. We're now in our 12th year in the league. That's a tradition worth keeping and building on. Yes, we're surrounded by chaos, and that obviously includes Men's D-1. But stability in conference affiliation remains a good thing.
                  2. No disrespect to any of the other Women's D-1 leagues; they all have their selling points. But we're already part of the best league and shouldn't give that up, IMHO.
                  3. We should continue in-league rivalries with fellow Big Ten members Minnesota & Wisconsin. As far as I'm concerned, the only reason to leave the Women's WCHA would be to join a Women's BTHC. And that particular development doesn't appear to be imminent.

I could go on and on. As the longtimers on the board know, I sometimes do. But as for the advantages of the WCHA, that'll suffice for now.

As for the CHA, I've enjoyed our games with those schools and hope we continue to compete regularly in non-conference action. But on the travel factor, the only advantage is budgetary. Air travel to the Twin Cities or Madison vs. a Bus Trip to State College, PA? The bus trip is clearly cheaper, but the flights are actually easier.

The addition of Penn State to the CHA is very interesting, and does give one pause to consider. Nevertheless, my vote is to remain true to our current conference mates.
                  Pgb-ohio, great to see you back here! Oh, and I really do need to start wearing hats to the games so I can fling them onto the ice for those hat tricks! It was obvious that Bemidji was paying more attention to Spoon Saturday. As it turns out, they just picked a different poison as Ally came through with the big game.
                  Last edited by osualum86; 10-09-2011, 06:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 5 4 Fighting View Post
                    Not to mention both were natural hat tricks against a world class goaler!

I had a chance to watch Spooner during the Canadian National Women's team Fall Festival and can say without a doubt she had an epic camp and may well have been the best player out there at times. Obviously this has spilled over into her League play.
                    Fiver! Good points. I think it may have been lost with some of the fans that watched the series this weekend, but Zuzana Tomcikova is definitely a world-class goalie. Scoring that many goals against her just doesn't happen everyday. As for Spooner, she is such a special player. We're so thankful to have her here in Columbus. We will definitely miss her next season, but I am pretty sure I will see her playing hockey after the college days (National Team, 2014 Sochi Olympics, CWHL).

Comment

You're welcome regarding starting this thread! I need to remember to start these threads each week. I agree with you regarding our conference affiliation. We are currently in the best conference in the country and I think we should continue to take on the challenge of going up against teams like Wisconsin, Minnesota, UMD, and North Dakota four times a season. Hopefully one of these days we will crack the top three or four or even win the league. Coach Handrahan certainly has some lofty goals regarding this program and I admire that. I hope he is here long enough to accomplish the goals he has set for the program.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
                        Pgb-ohio, great to see you back here!
                        Great to be back; and very glad the games are back. Haven't had much time for USCHO since the end of last season. I will try to get the Unofficial Three Stars going again soon.

...It was obvious that Bemidji was paying more attention to Spoon Saturday. As it turns out, they just picked a different poison as Ally came through with the big game.
                        Correct on both counts, and a succinct summary of the weekend. Let me repackage just a little, and name One Star for each of the home games so far:

Friday, September 23
                        Ohio State 3
                        Wilfrid Laurier 1

Star of the Game: #8 Kelly Wild
                        Starting the season at this very early date, you'd expect the D to be a little ahead of the offense. That was the case. Wild, the leader of the D, was a dynamic force in all three zones. Also, her "bullrush" goal won the practice shootout.

Friday, October 7
                        Ohio State 4
                        Bemidji State 4
                        (Ohio State Wins Shootout 1-0)

Star of the Game: #5 Natalie Spooner
                        No news flash whatsoever. When you score 4 regulation goals and the Shootout Gamewinner against Zuzana Tomcikova, you're that game's top star. Period.

Saturday, October 8
                        Ohio State 5
                        Bemidji State 3

Star of the Game: #4 Ally Tarr
                        OK, Ally was on the receiving end of some awfully nice feeds. Most notably, #11 Laura McIntosh had two primary assists. Still, a pure hat trick against Zuzana? Once again, the top star selection is a no-brainer.
                        Last edited by pgb-ohio; 10-10-2011, 04:09 PM. Reason: Add ENG Goal to Saturday Score

Comment

Pgb-ohio ... not to be nitpicky, but Saturday's score was 5-3. We got an empty netter at the end after they had pulled Zuzana. Love the "Unofficial Three Stars" posts! I started an Ohio State vs St Cloud thread.

Comment

Tessa Bonhomme ...for your viewing pleasure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sf8X0mvZwZI

Comment

Fiver, thanks for sharing that! I understand she's doing pretty well on Battle of the Blades! Dang, wish we could get CBC here in the US!

Comment

Working...
                              X