Notre Dame to Hockey East

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Notre Dame to Hockey East

The Fighting irish are coming east. There is talk of a 12th team, but word's been mum on who it is. Signs point to RPI or Quinnipiac. Any ideas out there?

Here's an article from a website I've been following for coverage:

http://excalibursportspage.com/2011/...e-coming-east/
    Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

STAY UP #94 #58

Re: Notre Dame to Hockey East

This has been covered in several other threads... but I guess it's good to move it out of the Hockey East 2011/2012 thread...

Hopefully a 12th team does come along, or I can foresee and unbalanced schedule. The 12th teams as you said are most likely RPI or QU, with UConn thrown in as a longshot (highly unlikely IMO). Seems like the majority feel is that Hockey East should have stayed at 10 teams.

Regardless, welcome aboard.

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
      This has been covered in several other threads... but I guess it's good to move it out of the Hockey East 2011/2012 thread...

Hopefully a 12th team does come along, or I can foresee and unbalanced schedule. The 12th teams as you said are most likely RPI or QU, with UConn thrown in as a longshot (highly unlikely IMO). Seems like the majority feel is that Hockey East should have stayed at 10 teams.

Regardless, welcome aboard.
      This could very much destabilize the eastern conferences. Grabbing a team from ECAC could destabilize, which is something I guess Notre Dame said they didn't want to do at the presser.

I think UConn is the most logical fit since AHA can withstand going to 11 teams and unbalanced. Grabbing an ECAC team essentially will destabilize that conference and maybe force a raid. I have no idea, since I'm not in the board rooms (clearly), and I'm an AHA guy with Bentley who would hate to see that happen.

I was trying to follow on the boards, but I figured I'd start something up and get it on its own. This is clearly a huge story!
      Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

The proper thread title would have been

"Hockey East is going down the tubes."

Please correct.
        "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

No real big surprise here since the NCHC added Saint Cloud and Western. This does add some problems for Hockey East, as it was a bus league. The longest trip will be Orono to South Bend, but that cost could be counter balanced by Maine not playing NC games in the midwest, and staying closer to home. There was some talk years back about adding Quinnipiac so that might be a possibility. The strongest option would be RPI, but they were reluctant to go when invited before. UConn, and RIT are other possibilities.
          Cat Chat, The U.P's best College Sports Show. Check us out at www.catchattv.org

Born a Black Bear
          1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012

A NMU Wildcat for Life
          1980 1981 1989 1991 1992 1993 1999 2010

NMU Hockey
          2006-2007: 15-24-2
          2007-2008: 20-20-4
          2008-2009: 18-16-5

1903 1912 1915 1916 1918 2004 2007

Comment

Originally posted by NMU8405 View Post
            No real big surprise here since the NCHC added Saint Cloud and Western. This does add some problems for Hockey East, as it was a bus league. The longest trip will be Orono to South Bend, but that cost could be counter balanced by Maine not playing NC games in the midwest, and staying closer to home. There was some talk years back about adding Quinnipiac so that might be a possibility. The strongest option would be RPI, but they were reluctant to go when invited before. UConn, and RIT are other possibilities.
            RPI has a different administration since the last time it was invited. That was the hangup both in 1984 and 1993. The 'Tute also has a coach who can sell iceboxes to eskimos.
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Humanoid View Post
              This could very much destabilize the eastern conferences. Grabbing a team from ECAC could destabilize, which is something I guess Notre Dame said they didn't want to do at the presser.

I think UConn is the most logical fit since AHA can withstand going to 11 teams and unbalanced. Grabbing an ECAC team essentially will destabilize that conference and maybe force a raid. I have no idea, since I'm not in the board rooms (clearly), and I'm an AHA guy with Bentley who would hate to see that happen.

I'm gonna have to disagree here. If Hockey East grabs RPI or Quinnipiac, the ECAC could pick one from Atlantic Hockey if necessary. That's just the pecking order. Maybe if that happened, Atlantic Hockey would consider adding UAH. I don't see that as destabilization. If anything, things will become more stable. I don't see any multiple team raids happening amongst the three Eastern conferences.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                I'm gonna have to disagree here. If Hockey East grabs RPI or Quinnipiac, the ECAC could pick one from Atlantic Hockey if necessary. That's just the pecking order. Maybe if that happened, Atlantic Hockey would consider adding UAH. I don't see that as destabilization. If anything, things will become more stable. I don't see any multiple team raids happening amongst the three Eastern conferences.
                Maybe the WCHA should swipe UAH and get to an even number before ECAC or AHA grab them first.

(Cue a post beginning with "But if Moorehead" in 5, 4, 3...)
                tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
                  Maybe the WCHA should swipe UAH and get to an even number before ECAC or AHA grab them first.

(Cue a post beginning with "But if Moorehead" in 5, 4, 3...)
                  I prefer if we start with "But if UW-Green Bay."
                  Originally posted by SCSU Euro
                  What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

I've seen RIT kicked around as a popular choice for the ECAC to add to replace RPI/QU.

Originally posted by NMU8405 View Post
                    Depending on flight schedules, UMass-to-ND may be as long time-wise as UMaine-to-ND, because UMaine is close to the Bangor airport while UMass is an hour from Bradley (and farther from Logan).
                    Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
                    Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

First choice.... just stay at 11. Second choice Cornell (who has also been rumored although highly unlikely). 3rd choice UConn adds a team. 4th Choice... go back to 10 after ND defects.
                      Originally posted by Hokydad
                      Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

UConn would make the most sense, but doesn't look likely to happen. RPI would be a good pick up if they are as serious about pushing hockey as it seems they are, the hanger could use some renovation if it still looks the same as the last time I went out there ('09-'10 season opener). Adding RPI or Quinnipiac would also add a team to Women's Hockey East bumping the league to 9 members.
                        Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
                        First choice.... just stay at 11. Second choice Cornell (who has also been rumored although highly unlikely).
                        Cornell is NEVER going to the leave the ECAC unless the rest of the Ivy League splits (in which case they'd stay with them).
                        "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
                        Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
                        NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
                        EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
                        AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
                        1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
                          First choice.... just stay at 11. Second choice Cornell (who has also been rumored although highly unlikely). 3rd choice UConn adds a team. 4th Choice... go back to 10 after ND defects.
                          I'd say zero chance that the ivy's split up. They would form an all Ivy Leage before splitting up out of the ECAC id bet.

Comment

Originally posted by Humanoid View Post
                            This is clearly a huge story!
                            Maybe. UND and DU leaving the WCHA is a bigger story so is the starting up of the Big Ten.
                            Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                            dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                            wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by ClOuD 9 View Post
                              UConn would make the most sense, but doesn't look likely to happen. RPI would be a good pick up if they are as serious about pushing hockey as it seems they are, the hanger could use some renovation if it still looks the same as the last time I went out there ('09-'10 season opener). Adding RPI or Quinnipiac would also add a team to Women's Hockey East bumping the league to 9 members.

Cornell is NEVER going to the leave the ECAC unless the rest of the Ivy League splits (in which case they'd stay with them).
                              Houston Field House has been undergoing renovations since UNH graced us with its presence. There's now a skybox (or as some of us like to call it the Throne), new scoreboard, I believe they're working on a new sound system, a few other things in the background as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X