Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Notre Dame to Hockey East

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
    Speaking of the tournament, one thing that has not yet been addressed is the playoff format. Assuming we go to 12 teams, what are the odds we use the WCHA's Frozen Five format: 6 teams host, 6 teams go to Boston and top 2 teams get a bye into the semis? Or we go the ECAC route and 5-8 host 9-12 then the winners play at 1-4. The latter would be more popular with NBC because that would almost guarantee ND plays a home series. The former means an extra day and two more games in Boston.
    Bertagna has said in the past that he is a big fan of the Final Five format with a play in game, wouldn't be at all surprised to see them go that direction.
    "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
    Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
    NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
    EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
    AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
    1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
      I expect they'll pick up the Hockey East tournament, and their hockey crew is kinda familiar with the Garden...

Speaking of the tournament, one thing that has not yet been addressed is the playoff format. Assuming we go to 12 teams, what are the odds we use the WCHA's Frozen Five format: 6 teams host, 6 teams go to Boston and top 2 teams get a bye into the semis? Or we go the ECAC route and 5-8 host 9-12 then the winners play at 1-4. The latter would be more popular with NBC because that would almost guarantee ND plays a home series. The former means an extra day and two more games in Boston.
      That would be awful. I would think it more likely top 8 or top 10 make the playoffs. Why have your regular season not matter?

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
        I would prefer to stick with the current format and just let the bottom 4 or bottom 3 miss the playoffs. With 4 teams out, it would put an even higher premium on every point. Obviously there already is, but it would be that much harder to make the playoffs.
        Also, with an unbalanced schedule (assuming they would have one with 11), the premium on some points would be different than others. It would be interesting to hear the complaining in particular locations if one school that played more bottom feeders edged out a school that played more top schools. With 12 teams, I would assume that there would be a balanced schedule, which renders this point moot.

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
        That would be awful. I would think it more likely top 8 or top 10 make the playoffs. Why have your regular season not matter?
        This comment made me laugh a bit because all I typically hear from Easterners (minus a few specific fanbases) is that regular season titles don't really mean much as it is. It is solely about the Tournament.

Having all of the teams make the conference tournament is exciting, and allows for upsets and "miracle" runs to occur. It also gives the fans from those fanbases to rally around towards the end of the season. It doesn't render the regular season useless.
        North Dakota
        National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

The biggest thing preventing a final five style tournament is the Garden itself. Minneaoplis has several major arenas in town that compete against each other, NYC has three soon to be four, and Boston has only one. I'm not sure if HE would be able to reserve three days from the Garden every year.

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
            This comment made me laugh a bit because all I typically hear from Easterners (minus a few specific fanbases) is that regular season titles don't really mean much as it is. It is solely about the Tournament.

Having all of the teams make the conference tournament is exciting, and allows for upsets and "miracle" runs to occur. It also gives the fans from those fanbases to rally around towards the end of the season. It doesn't render the regular season useless.
            Usually the "specific fanbases" are the ones that win regular season titles. Having all of the teams in the conference tournament makes you wonder what the point of a 5 month regular season is, as all the regular season then does is determine where playoff games are held. At least when teams don't make the playoffs, you have something to play for in the regular season.

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
              I would prefer to stick with the current format and just let the bottom 4 or bottom 3 miss the playoffs. With 4 teams out, it would put an even higher premium on every point. Obviously there already is, but it would be that much harder to make the playoffs.
              Agreed.

Originally posted by ClOuD 9 View Post
              Bertagna has said in the past that he is a big fan of the Final Five format with a play in game, wouldn't be at all surprised to see them go that direction.
              I hope not.

Also, with an unbalanced schedule (assuming they would have one with 11), the premium on some points would be different than others. It would be interesting to hear the complaining in particular locations if one school that played more bottom feeders edged out a school that played more top schools.
              Which is potentially a legitimate complaint... what if you lost home ice by one point and during the regular season you lost your extra game against the top seed, while the team that beat you out for home ice, won their extra regular season game aganst the worst team in the league?

On the other hand though, not letting everyone in the playoffs, makes the last couple of weekends of the regular season much more exciting.

Comment

Usually the "specific fanbases" are the ones that win regular season titles. Having all of the teams in the conference tournament makes you wonder what the point of a 5 month regular season is, as all the regular season then does is determine where playoff games are held. At least when teams don't make the playoffs, you have something to play for in the regular season.
                I'm not exactly a PWR expert, but doesn't the regular season play a pretty big part in determining at-large NCAA tournament bids?
                Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                Originally posted by Quizmire
                mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                  I'm not exactly a PWR expert, but doesn't the regular season play a pretty big part in determining at-large NCAA tournament bids?
                  OK, let me rephrase: What is the point of having regular season LEAGUE games?

Comment

OK, let me rephrase: What is the point of having regular season LEAGUE games?
                    Well not much in the ECAC. In HE, usually half or more are TUC as well as fighting got the COP portion as well as the OOC schedule which is usually played against TUC.
                    Originally posted by Hokydad
                    Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Also, with an unbalanced schedule (assuming they would have one with 11), the premium on some points would be different than others. It would be interesting to hear the complaining in particular locations if one school that played more bottom feeders edged out a school that played more top schools. With 12 teams, I would assume that there would be a balanced schedule, which renders this point moot.

Nope. It is the post-season. We aren't in mites here where everyone needs a participatory trophy. It's a **** shame the Hockey East is the only conference who has figured this out.

8 out of 12 is more than enough teams for the HE Tourny. You need to play well during the regular season to get a chance to play for the auto-bid. End of story.
                      BC Eagles Hockey East Champions: 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2007, 2005, 2001, 1999, 1998, 1990, 1987
                      National Championships: 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949
                      Beanpot Champions: 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2004, 2001, 1994, 1983, 1976, 1965, 1964, 1963, 1961, 1959, 1957, 1956, 1954

Bentley Falcons Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglefan06 View Post
                        Nope. It is the post-season. We aren't in mites here where everyone needs a participatory trophy. It's a **** shame the Hockey East is the only conference who has figured this out.

8 out of 12 is more than enough teams for the HE Tourny. You need to play well during the regular season to get a chance to play for the auto-bid. End of story.
                        I am in the camp that has always liked playoff formats where very few teams make the playoffs, rather than everyone. It's one of the reasons I really liked baseball before they started watering it down with "wild cards".

On the other hand, I think it's kind of silly for leagues where 8 of 11 or 8 of 12 teams make the playoffs to be critical of 10 team leagues where everyone makes the playoffs. I mean if you want to make the regular season really mean something, do it. Limit the playoffs to 4 of your 12 teams.

I will also say that the WCHA Final 5, three day tournament at one location has been a blast, and it is still, for my money, the highlight of the college hockey season (and that includes the Frozen Four).
                        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglefan06 View Post

Don't get me started on the Union Rule in the ECAC. At least for the women, we still do top 8.

Comment

I'm a fan of the CCHA playoff format (particularly the 12-team one), where the top four teams earn byes and home ice advantage in the quarterfinals, while the next four teams earn home ice advantage in the octofinals.
                            Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
                            Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                              ND has expressed a preference for the ACC over the B1G, *IF* they do not stay independent.
                              Well I understood that part of it, but what's the reasoning you've heard/read? Same as Craig?

Winning the RS is a great accomplishment but in and of itself, it is in a way "meaningless". FWIW, I've always maintained that the RS champ is more deserving of an auto bid than the tourney champ, but I suppose it doesn't really matter as the RS champ usually makes it in anyway and there haven't been too many situations where a team won its conference tourney to get in. Plus, it does make the playoffs a little more exciting as the bottom dwellers would throw in the towel in the QFs if there was no auto bid available.

Originally posted by Craig P. View Post
                              I'm a fan of the CCHA playoff format (particularly the 12-team one), where the top four teams earn byes and home ice advantage in the quarterfinals, while the next four teams earn home ice advantage in the octofinals.
                              If HE goes to 12, this is what I'd like to see. If they stay at 11, top three get a bye into the QFs.

4 v 11
                              5 v 10
                              6 v 9
                              7 v 8

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                                If HE goes to 12, this is what I'd like to see. If they stay at 11, top three get a bye into the QFs.

4 v 11
                                5 v 10
                                6 v 9
                                7 v 8
                                That would put 7 teams in the QF.
                                North Dakota
                                National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Working...
                                X