Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Notre Dame to Hockey East

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
    Which is why it was foolish hearing fans of the smaller HE teams endorse this move by the league.
    Well, they would get to sell out a home game though..............great point by you as usual

Comment

@BobF:

The tinfoil hat territory is suggesting that ND has pre-planned to dump Hockey East for the Integer down the road. I think the rest of your observations are largely accurate, though I think you give basketball too much credit. It's football, then everything else at ND—it's easier to find a good landing spot for basketball than it is for the remaining sports.

Also, there's more to it than just money. I'm fairly certain ND could have marginally improved the athletic department's revenue by jumping to the Integer when they went from eleven to twelve teams (though not as much as some possibly-planted stories in the media at the time suggested). The independence of the football team is fiercely guarded as part and parcel of its identity, as is ND's national reach. That's why I suggest that the Irish are more likely to land in the ACC or the XII than the Integer if such a move becomes necessary, although that may be projection of my own wishes rather than what Swarbrick and Jenkins really have in mind.
      Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
      Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

There are rumors floating around over on the DU thread that they might jump ship and become the 12th member of Hockey East. I guess they are upset about the whole TV thing. Can anyone confirm this as a possibility???
        Originally posted by vizoroo
        Thought you had picked the avatar so we could id you. Guess he fooled me too.
        Originally posted by duper
        I obviously missed it, but it sounds like some idiot from CC took trolling to a whole new, totally inappropriate level.

I was well over the borderline. I figured I would meet you on your turf.
        Every time you post like an *******, I want to quote the idiotic comment you made where you claim not to be a troll. You're such a dick.
        Originally posted by dggoddard
        Finally you made me laugh.

There may be hope for you yet.

Comment

Originally posted by ronmexico View Post
          There are rumors floating around over on the DU thread that they might jump ship and become the 12th member of Hockey East. I guess they are upset about the whole TV thing. Can anyone confirm this as a possibility???
          Now that would be awesome.
          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Like we'd be interested.

Maybe they can try the WCHA.

Comment

By "rumors floating around over on the DU thread" you actually mean only one post on the subject, which you yourself authored.
              Notre Dame Hockey
              Reigning Big Ten Champions
              Reigning CCHA Champions
              Hockey East Lineal Champions

Comment

Originally posted by ND Hockey View Post
                By "rumors floating around over on the DU thread" you actually mean only one post on the subject, which you yourself authored.
                You're trying to spoil his fun!

Comment

there is a poster on here (name starts with "m" and rhymes with "dookie", who is nailing halle berry.
                  a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by ND Hockey View Post
                    keep that on the down low...
                    I obviously missed it, but it sounds like some idiot from CC took trolling to a whole new, totally inappropriate level.

Every time you post like an *******, I want to quote the idiotic comment you made where you claim not to be a troll. You're such a dick.

Comment

I've heard that Western's worked out a deal with the MAC football offices to play all their home football games in October while the hockey team plays road games so we can just put a rink in the center of Waldo Stadium. Bam! Biggest Arena in the NCHC. The lousy ice will be a home advantage.

Can anyone else confirm this?
                      "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

I wonder if the NBC sports contract will make some of the larger schools think about Notre Dame as a non-conference foe that they don't mind having away non-con games for.
                        If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                          I wonder if the NBC sports contract will make some of the larger schools think about Notre Dame as a non-conference foe that they don't mind having away non-con games for.
                          Probably. My opinion is if they don't return the favor no thanks. These are college hockey programs not prostitutes.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                            hockey eastofthemississippi was a bit rushed here, sure. but they were somewhat proactive. now say nd goes to ecac... they can claim academic prestige with the ivy's. get that same footprint in new england, as well as upstate ny. they still get that versus/nbc deal, because really, nobody is watching. but now they are showing games at harvard instead of from the other side of the tracks at haa (). or up from thompson (great rink) instead of conte. or at Q's instead of the bad tv lighting at uhn.

would that national exposure be enough to elevate the ecac teams to the current hea's level? maybe, maybe not. but why let them?
                            The problem with this is the ECAC was never an option. They have 12 teams and weren't interested in expanding. This was between an Eastern conference and a Midwestern/Western conference. Also, you gotta forget the fact that "nobody" watches. Again, this isn't about who doesn't watch. It's about who does.

Originally posted by BobF View Post
                            Call me cynical, but definitely not a tin foil hat. Look at BC's move a few years ago to ACC, it is about the money in college sports. Those of us who are passionate about college hockey are not accustomed to how these institutions are out for themselves with little regard for those around them. However at the esteemed institutions in South Bend and Chestnut Hill history tells us otherwise.
                            Let's be real here, Bob. Like it or not, every school is looking out for themselves. If the little schools had the opportunities BC/ND had, they'd be doing the same thing.

Originally posted by Craig P. View Post
                            The independence of the football team is fiercely guarded as part and parcel of its identity, as is ND's national reach. That's why I suggest that the Irish are more likely to land in the ACC or the XII than the Integer if such a move becomes necessary, although that may be projection of my own wishes rather than what Swarbrick and Jenkins really have in mind.
                            I'm not understanding you're reasoning as to why ND might go to the ACC over the Big Ten. I know it wouldn't be money because the Big Ten is better than the ACC in that regard, but are you saying ND would prefer the ACC because they're already well known in the Midwest? (seems to be what the hockey team ended up doing). Could it have anything to do with the ACC being easier to win in than the Big Ten?

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                              It has nothing to do with how good you are. I doubt NBC is hiking up to the Whit or the Alfond. Rinks in Boston that they'll broadcast from include Kelley Rink, Agganis Arena and TD Banknorth Fleetcenter Whateveritisthisweek Garden.
                              Which would include, I presume, showing the Hockey East tournament on national TV. That is a good thing for all teams in the league, and it is something that all teams can use to gain exposure.

From NBC's perspective, this is all about the Notre Dame brand and offering more hockey programming. I agree with everyone who says that the ratings will be miniscule. However, this is not about reaching the SEC football fan and convincing him that he would love to see LSU - Alabama play an outdoor hockey game in Tuscaloosa some day. It is about reaching the 13 -14 year old elite hockey prospect anywhere in the US and showing them: a league that plays a high level of hockey; that sends players on the NHL; plays in NHL barns (the Gahden); and will allow their parents to watch a certain number of their games on TV.

I think this will be good for Hockey East, and really, if Notre Dame joins the ACC / Big 12 or some new football superconference that hasn't even been created yet, odds are good that it will still need a hockey conference. I have no inside information, but from all of the animosity / money grubbing / fighting, I believe that ND would rather fold it's football program than join the Intiger
                              Last edited by Hockey Dogg; 10-05-2011, 09:25 PM. Reason: clarity; fixed omission
                              http://www.travisroyfoundation.org/

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                                I'm not understanding you're reasoning as to why ND might go to the ACC over the Big Ten. I know it wouldn't be money because the Big Ten is better than the ACC in that regard, but are you saying ND would prefer the ACC because they're already well known in the Midwest? (seems to be what the hockey team ended up doing). Could it have anything to do with the ACC being easier to win in than the Big Ten?
                                The bolded is the reasoning of a number of alumni and fans. I don't know if the administration feels the same way; Jack Swarbrick is notoriously good at playing his cards close to the vest.
                                Last edited by Craig P.; 10-06-2011, 12:28 AM.
                                Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
                                Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

Working...
                                X