Notre Dame to Hockey East

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Notre Dame to Hockey East

ND is going to have trouble going to any conference while it has a TV contract with NBC for home football games. When does their deal with NBC expire?

Comment

RPI to HE
      RIT to ECAC
      UAH to AHA

Three stable conferences and three happy schools from my vantage point (of course I am biased ... personally I'd rather it was QU to HE so that we could play RPI more often).
      -M

Comment

The suggestion that ND is using HE preparatory to going to the BTHC verges on tinfoil hat territory. I'm not saying that ND in HE is the most stable arrangement, but I'm reasonably confident that (as I've already said) the Integer is not at the top of our conference destination list.

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
        ND is going to have trouble going to any conference while it has a TV contract with NBC for home football games. When does their deal with NBC expire?
        I believe the current contract expires in 2015. If ND is happy about the non-football situation (or if we can swing a similar arrangement to what we have now), I'd expect it to be renewed. By all appearances, Swarbrick has a very good working relationship with the sports folks at NBC.
        Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
        Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

And this

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...a656c0fb8df98c

says they now have an NBC contract for hockey too!!
          -M

Comment

Originally posted by Craig P. View Post
            It can't be dismissed entirely until ND is in another conference, but right now I'd guess that they're somewhere around ND's 4th choice.

1st. Big East assuming it remains viable after changes
            2nd. ACC
            3rd. Big XII
            Hmm I wonder why Notre Dame would rather join the Big East/ACC than the most logical landing spot, the Big Ten. Not hard to figure out on my end and it has nothing to do with money...

Comment

SOUTH BEND -- As the hockey world realigned into new conferences beginning last April, Notre Dame took its time to study its options.

And Wednesday, in officially announcing it was joining The Hockey East Association beginning with the 2013-2014 season, it appears the Irish scored a bit of a trifecta.

Speaking from a podium on the ice of the new $50 million Compton Family Ice Arena, where the Irish will play for the first time Oct. 21, head coach Jeff Jackson said the move to the Hockey East will allow the Irish to compete in a premier hockey conference.

"Obviously, it's a huge day for our program," Jackson said.

The Hockey East's smaller conference schedule also will allow it to continue playing long-time Midwest and western rivals in its non-conference schedule, Jackson added, and to enhance its home schedule to include as many as 18 to 20 games.

And, then, one of the bigger plums. Notre Dame will not only get more opportunities to play in front of alumni out East, but also gain what Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick called "an unprecedented level of national exposure through our expanded partnership with the NBC Sports Group."

More details will be coming but one high-ranking Notre Dame official said all of Notre Dame's home hockey games will be on national television starting with the 2013-14 season.

Staff writer Jim Meenan:
              jmeenan@sbtinfo.com
              574-235-6342
              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Notre Dame hockey program joining Hockey East

By RICK GANO, AP Sports Writer – 4 hours ago

SOUTH BEND, Ind. (AP) — Notre Dame is leaving the Central Collegiate Hockey Association for Hockey East beginning with the 2013-14 season and will bolster the program's national profile through another TV deal with NBC.

The network, which has done Notre Dame home football games for more than two decades, will televise Irish hockey, likely beginning with the school's first season in the new league.

"The University of Notre Dame's hockey team will have a more robust national television platform than any hockey program in the country," athletic director Jack Swarbrick said at a news conference held Wednesday on the ice rink of the school's new $50 million Compton Family Ice Arena.

Jon Miller, president for programming for NBC and Versus, said the plan is to do a big schedule of Notre Dame games and include Hockey East teams in the telecasts when the opportunity is there......

ie, when they are playing at ND

Comment

Originally posted by RITProf View Post
                  RPI to HE
                  RIT to ECAC
                  UAH to AHA

Three stable conferences and three happy schools from my vantage point (of course I am biased ... personally I'd rather it was QU to HE so that we could play RPI more often).
                  If that happens, RPI and RIT will only have 22 conference games...plenty of opportunities for some NC action.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                    Jon Miller, president for programming for NBC and Versus, said the plan is to do a big schedule of Notre Dame games and include Hockey East teams in the telecasts when the opportunity is there......

ie, when they are playing at ND
                    He amended his statement moments later. As I understood him, the ND contract starts in 2012, Hockey East in 2013. He said they were looking forward to showing Hockey East games when the contract starts. As I said in the other thread, I don't expect them to show any games on NBC Sports from rinks located outside South Bend and Boston.

Comment

As I said in the other thread, I don't expect them to show any games on NBC Sports from rinks located outside South Bend and Boston.
                      Which is why it was foolish hearing fans of the smaller HE teams endorse this move by the league.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                        Which is why it was foolish hearing fans of the smaller HE teams endorse this move by the league.
                        nothing comes easy. and nobody should expect to be given things.

those smaller teams want to compete? go out and get good players, play hard and smart, and beat up on nd, bu, bc, uhn when you play at their barns. be consistent, then you'll get the games at home on tv ('cept for mack... not sure tv cameras can fit in there )

Comment

those smaller teams want to compete? go out and get good players, play hard and smart, and beat up on nd, bu, bc, uhn when you play at their barns. be consistent, then you'll get the games at home on tv ('cept for mack... not sure tv cameras can fit in there )
                          I don't think anyone expects to be given things here (well, except ND as usual). Come on, you know it isn't easy for the small teams to compete/win. Anyway, if ND was already in the league, that'd be one thing. This is an unnecessary concession made by Hockey East. They didn't need to expand and they didn't need ND.

Comment

It has nothing to do with how good you are. I doubt NBC is hiking up to the Whit or the Alfond. Rinks in Boston that they'll broadcast from include Kelley Rink, Agganis Arena and TD Banknorth Fleetcenter Whateveritisthisweek Garden.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                              I don't think anyone expects to be given things here (well, except ND as usual). Come on, you know it isn't easy for the small teams to compete/win. Anyway, if ND was already in the league, that'd be one thing. This is an unnecessary concession made by Hockey East. They didn't need to expand and they didn't need ND.
                              hockey eastofthemississippi was a bit rushed here, sure. but they were somewhat proactive. now say nd goes to ecac... they can claim academic prestige with the ivy's. get that same footprint in new england, as well as upstate ny. they still get that versus/nbc deal, because really, nobody is watching. but now they are showing games at harvard instead of from the other side of the tracks at haa (). or up from thompson (great rink) instead of conte. or at Q's instead of the bad tv lighting at uhn.

would that national exposure be enough to elevate the ecac teams to the current hea's level? maybe, maybe not. but why let them?

Comment

Originally posted by Craig P. View Post
                                The suggestion that ND is using HE preparatory to going to the BTHC verges on tinfoil hat territory. I'm not saying that ND in HE is the most stable arrangement, but I'm reasonably confident that (as I've already said) the Integer is not at the top of our conference destination list.

I believe the current contract expires in 2015. If ND is happy about the non-football situation (or if we can swing a similar arrangement to what we have now), I'd expect it to be renewed. By all appearances, Swarbrick has a very good working relationship with the sports folks at NBC.
                                Well I have been known to wear a number of hats. But every move ND has made in football and hoops has been about the almighty dollar! They are in the big east in hoops because of their contract with NBC in football. As a result of the Big 10's all or nothing agreement on joining the hoop team sought the best possible landing spot from a revenue standpoint. They did the same in hockey. Boston provides a better revenue opportunity than Grand Forks or Oxford right now. But Notre Dame is about Notre Dame, eventually their best interest in both Hockey and Basketball will lie in a partnership with the Big 10. Especially with the new alignment in Big East hoops, and even NBC when they renegotiate would much rather broadcast Notre Dame-Ohio State football, and not Notre Dame-Pitt or Air Force.

Call me cynical, but definitely not a tin foil hat. Look at BC's move a few years ago to ACC, it is about the money in college sports. Those of us who are passionate about college hockey are not accustomed to how these institutions are out for themselves with little regard for those around them. However at the esteemed institutions in South Bend and Chestnut Hill history tells us otherwise.

Comment

Working...
                                X