Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2011-12 Vermont Season Thread (Vezina & Conn Smyth trophy edition)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2011-12 Vermont Season Thread (Vezina & Conn Smyth trophy edition)

Ok, only one college hockey game yesterday and UVM beats the Gophers --- and College Hockey News and USCHO have basically NOTHING on it. ***. Oh well. Check out the highlights here.. go full screen and enjoy.

http://youtu.be/wIWZZo3LG-U

Comment

Great game yesterday by the cats. Very exciting to watch. Brickley/McCarthy/White were on fire. Madore was shaky at first but stood tall when it counted. Minnesota's offense is loaded and they were deflecting pucks like crazy. Definitely couldn't fault him on some of the goals but he still doesn't appear to be playing as well as when he first broke on scene
      “Unless you’re Boston College, you don’t get here every year.”

Pinhead Nation: "gone" but not forgotten

Originally posted by shrader
      Admin, do you still hate BC? If not, will darin and MAV ever be freed? If you do still hate BC, why is SteveF allowed to post?
      Hockey East Champions: 1987, 1990, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012
      National Champions: 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012

Comment

Originally posted by SteveF View Post
        Great game yesterday by the cats. Very exciting to watch. Brickley/McCarthy/White were on fire. Madore was shaky at first but stood tall when it counted. Minnesota's offense is loaded and they were deflecting pucks like crazy. Definitely couldn't fault him on some of the goals but he still doesn't appear to be playing as well as when he first broke on scene
        Completely agree with you. His freshman campaign set the bar really high. The only goal I really blame him for was the first one. Way too deep in his net and wasn't square to the shot at all...not to mention it was taken from practically the blue line. The rest of Minny's goals were pretty filthy tips/deflections

Comment

After seeing Minnesota's facility on TV this past weekend it got me thinking about a new arena again. Just read this article on a link from ICH (http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...Ctext%7CSports). Still hard to believe UVM cannot come up with a campaign to drive for this.....I guess it will depend upon the new President...

Comment

I like this tidbit from HE weekly release

"Merrimack, who is the lone remaining undefeated team in Hockey East, has never been 5-0 since joining Hockey East"
            Originally posted by Hokydad
            Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

after being talked down from the ledge on friday night,it sure was great to see the win on sunday.every goal was beautifully set up,especially the the power play tallies.terrific game--what a great turnaround--very impressive indeed.

Comment

Thoughts for the weekend?

At the Gutt, MC has never gone 5-0 to start the season, and the team should have some confidence and be on a high... I see this weekend as a split.

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post

At the Gutt, MC has never gone 5-0 to start the season, and the team should have some confidence and be on a high... I see this weekend as a split.
                  Merrimack fan here. I'll admit I watched a few minutes of the Friday night game at Minnesota during our intermission and thought "wow UVM really does stink" after seeing the score of the exhibition game against the U-18 team. Then I watched the game on Sunday. More impressed. I see a split, as well.

Comment

For the third straight game to start the season Vermont plays a team that is undefeated with at least 4 wins, that a combined 13-0 records of those three teams.

Not sure what to think of Merrimack yet(Or UVM for that matter) as they are 4-0 but those teams are combined 4-10-4 with 2 of those 4 wins coming against eachother.

The range between Fridays and Sundays game is so large you have to think we will see something in the middle most nights with some games like Sunday thrown in, hope we never see Fridays effort again.

I actually have hope for the powerplay after seeing those goals on Sunday as they were not our usual point screen PP goals but instead great passing plays. Paliotta pass to start Brickleys's second goal while not the last pass was still impressive as it was right thru the box which I cant see many of our D's trying in the past. That and the slap pass to McCarthy were 2 of the better point passes i have seen in a long time and they both were in the same minute.

Also big props to Reynolds on taking on 2 Minn players and still making a drop pass to set up PP goal #2, the top 2 lines if they can stay together look to give us some balanced scoring that would help get this team back in the right direction.
                    New Arena New Arena where for art thou New Arena

Comment

Originally posted by Cat lover View Post
                      For the third straight game to start the season Vermont plays a team that is undefeated with at least 4 wins, that a combined 13-0 records of those three teams.

Not sure what to think of Merrimack yet(Or UVM for that matter) as they are 4-0 but those teams are combined 4-10-4 with 2 of those 4 wins coming against eachother.

The range between Fridays and Sundays game is so large you have to think we will see something in the middle most nights with some games like Sunday thrown in, hope we never see Fridays effort again.

I actually have hope for the powerplay after seeing those goals on Sunday as they were not our usual point screen PP goals but instead great passing plays. Paliotta pass to start Brickleys's second goal while not the last pass was still impressive as it was right thru the box which I cant see many of our D's trying in the past. That and the slap pass to McCarthy were 2 of the better point passes i have seen in a long time and they both were in the same minute.

Also big props to Reynolds on taking on 2 Minn players and still making a drop pass to set up PP goal #2, the top 2 lines if they can stay together look to give us some balanced scoring that would help get this team back in the right direction.

Stalberg also had a really good game. I think McCarthy needs to have more consistency though. This team still worries me defensively and on the PK right now.

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post

The Warriors have a lot to prove and are hungry. As we all know, special teams continue to play a pivotal role in the outcome. I believe that if MC can stick to playing hockey and stay out of the Sin Bin, they will sweep the Cats this weekend.

Hard fought battle either way. Vermont is always tough to play as evidenced by the dead even record over the last 12 games between these two teams (5 wins each and 2 ties). The Home Team has had the advantage with the Cats only losing one game at the Gutt. But then again, Maine wasn't planning on getting beat at home this year by the Warriors.

Watching statistics is nice but watching the games is far better! Anxious for this weekend as it is sure to be great hockey.

Comment

I have no idea what to expect out of UVM but you have to think that:

1. They got a lot of confidence out of the comeback win on Sunday
                          2. Some of their go to guys are off the schneid and know they can make things happen. Stalberg, McCarthy and Brickley in particular exceled on Sunday. Now they need help from Decenzo and Lenz and they need Roos back from injury as he is talented also.

3. They are VERY young and that is going to be a detriment against experienced teams

Ultimately I hope we see two good games and the cats come out with a couple of points at least.

Comment

Originally posted by midge843 View Post
                            Stalberg also had a really good game. I think McCarthy needs to have more consistency though. This team still worries me defensively and on the PK right now.
                            I thought the D was a bright spot. Both games, and that's hard to say with fridays game. But Friday from what I saw Madore wasn't great and there was ZERO offense. Tough to play D for a solid 60 minutes. Sat when the offense was kicking in they looked pretty good. Paliotta looked great for a frosh and Mackenzie and Bruneteau and Franzon I don't see D being a huge problem. On the PK they were 7 for 10. That's not great but it's not terrible either against a top 10 team.

Comment

Originally posted by snwbrdr View Post
                              I have no idea what to expect out of UVM but you have to think that:

1. They got a lot of confidence out of the comeback win on Sunday
                              2. Some of their go to guys are off the schneid and know they can make things happen. Stalberg, McCarthy and Brickley in particular exceled on Sunday. Now they need help from Decenzo and Lenz and they need Roos back from injury as he is talented also.

3. They are VERY young and that is going to be a detriment against experienced teams

Ultimately I hope we see two good games and the cats come out with a couple of points at least.

This

Comment

I see the Free Press says Nilsson Roos returns tonight while Leonard, B. Bruneteau, and MacKenzie are game time decisions. Bruneteau looked decent last weekend until getting hurt. Mackenzie has been disappointing thus far, but still has plenty of time to turn it around, Leonard always plays hard and will be missed if he's out. Getting Roos back will be nice though.

Comment

Working...
                                X