Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2011-12 Vermont Season Thread (Vezina & Conn Smyth trophy edition)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2011-12 Vermont Season Thread (Vezina & Conn Smyth trophy edition)

I made an attempt at doing some sports photography at the Catamount Cup. I got shots from the UVM v. Ferris State game in addition to both of the RIT games. Here they are if anyone is interested: http://mdumont.smugmug.com/Hockey

Comment

Sneddon has changed the system to be more offensive to play into recruiting more offensive talent, that has hurt the D first system and opened up and exposed our young defense and horrible goaltending (particularly this year)

However, I still think the future is bright. The freshmen are starting to develop (and they need to with almost no upperclassmen on this team and two of them injured)

Markinson is fast as hell, if he can start to bury the puck consistently he will be a huge threat. Reynolds continues to be dangerous. 5 of last 6 goals from the freshmen.....

What does concern me is the NOTHING we are seeing out of Nilsson Roos and Decenzo. What happened with those two? If they were as good as last year it would help.....

And I'm surprised Brett Bruneteau is not showing more offensive ability.

Hopefully they don't give up 6 more goals to Maine.... With two of the starting D out that is worrisome against Maine's faster and crafty forwards. We need Brickley back, his absence was notable.

Comment

Did I mention that NO SNOW and bad hockey both at the same time is bad?

Go Cats

Comment

• Originally posted by snwbrdr View Post
          Did I mention that NO SNOW and bad hockey both at the same time is bad?

Go Cats
          Really bad!!!! ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by GreenCat View Post
            Season turning point.........???? Let's hope so.
            Nope!!!! Sounds like from the Maine thread it was an awful game particularly by Vermont.

Comment

Lowell beat the Russian Red Stars 6-4 last night. Just another indication of how bad we are.

Comment

I watched Girgensons in the World Juniors and he is the real deal. He's strong and aggressive and scored a nice goal against the US. If he comes to UVM he will make an immediate impact but I don't see him staying more than a year or two.

Comment

Originally posted by UVM Cat in Texas View Post
                  Lowell beat the Russian Red Stars 6-4 last night. Just another indication of how bad we are.
                  Or how good Lowell is. Either way, as long as we all agree: Lowell > Vermont.
                  Lowell Forever
                  Forever Lowell

Comment

Or how good Lowell is.
                    Equals FALSE

Either way, as long as we all agree: Lowell > Vermont.
                    Unfortunately is true, for now.

Comment

Losing 2-1 on the road with several players out is AWFUL?

All goals were powerplays and the game wasnt decided until the last minute.

But thats what you get when you use the other teams thread as a resource of how good a team played.
                      New Arena New Arena where for art thou New Arena

Comment

I'll agree, it says a lot more about just how awful Vermont is this season.

It's hard to draw a true comparison, because Lowell played the Red Stars at the end of the their tour (5th game in 10 days) while the Cats got them at the beginning. However, that Russian team was not at all impressive. Had Lowell played their full squad and starting goalie it would have been closer to an 8-1 game - it was that ugly. Although I'm glad Lowell played them, if not I would have missed 5 Russians getting the gate, 71 Red Star penalty minutes, a Russian throwing some players glove over the boards into the stands and a particularly frisky Russian putting a stick between his legs and insinuating a sexual act toward the student section. Seriously.

I've always really liked Sneddon as a coach, my contempt for Vermont aside. He's always been a straight shooter, win or lose and that's to be admired in a league with complete scumbag coaches like Parker and Whitehead. I wonder if at some point a change has to be made for the sake of change. I loved MacDonald, but Lowell had to make a move because you can't just fire the players and start over. The coach is the one area you can change, and whether it's that he can't get talented kids in the door anymore (doubtful, there's plenty of talent in Burlington) or has lost the team (possibly?) doesn't really matter. If you keep the status quo you can't expect things to change.

Good luck at Fenway, assuming the idea of a UVM/Amherst game hasn't scared away the fans for fear of being bored to death. I'll be back with my normal vitriol for the game up in Burlington next week.
                        Lowell Forever
                        Forever Lowell

Comment

Originally posted by Patronick View Post
                          Or how good Lowell is. Either way, as long as we all agree: Lowell > Vermont.
                          I'll readily agree with each of these. Lowell is good--and Lowell is better than UVM. I've posted in your thread a couple of times this year to complement you guys on your good play.

I've always liked Sneddon too, but can't help wondering if it's time for a change. Whatever he's doing clearly isn't working and we've had less talented teams in recent years whose play was far superior. The only good news is that things can't get much worse.

Comment

Frozen Fenway Practice Pictures

Comment

According to USHR, UVM has a new goalie for next season. Brody Hoffman of the Fort McMurray Oil Barons (AJHL).

Comment

I have always been a Sneddon defender, but this is just getting ugly. Frankly I'm getting tired of the whole "we played well, real proud of the guys, coming together...blah blah blah." The team is terrible, plain and simple, and the kissy huggy cheerleader bull**** isn't getting anyone to play better or harder. These are kids who want to play professional hockey and you do not get an A for trying. Clear the freaking puck, block shots, get bodies out from in front of the net. That UMA goal in OT was just a pathetic display of why UVM has the record they do and when Sneddon stands there talking about what a great experience it was makes me sick. There is plenty of talent on this years team to be decent, but there appears to be a lack of leadership on this team both from the captains and the coach. Sneddon needs to stop the pats on the back and the atta boys and get tough on this team.
                                Originally posted by Hokydad
                                Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Working...
                                X