Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2011-12 Vermont Season Thread (Vezina & Conn Smyth trophy edition)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2011-12 Vermont Season Thread (Vezina & Conn Smyth trophy edition)

Let's not jump the gun here...Brickley is in the USA developmental team camp. Cant read anything into his absence.

Charter Member of the Catamount Hockey Bandwagon! GO CATS GO!

Comment

Granted, there have been many empty seats at the Gut lately, but I actually think those seats are season ticket holders just not bothering to come, thus they have been paid for and unused.

Charter Member of the Catamount Hockey Bandwagon! GO CATS GO!

Comment

Originally posted by bogi View Post
        If we lose Paliotta and Brickley lose we will be in big trouble. I bet Sneddon leaves shortly after.
        If they do leave, Sneddon will have lost all credibility with me.

Comment

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
          It looks like it's the season for rumors.
          http://stationnation.blogspot.com/20...medium=twitter
          If this turns out to be true then it again reflects on Sneddon's inability to develop and improve players i.e. they see no value in staying.

Comment

Originally posted by forsberg21 View Post
            This is Sneddon's 9th campaign and Vermont has 6 winning seasons during those years.
            This is impressive compared to some coaches at the D-1 level!!
            I've been lost since 1989. I got a breakaway on a frozen river and have been skating ever since.

Comment

According to Ted Ryan's blog, Brickley and Paliotta are staying put. He also says this in regard to Girgensons: "Girgensons, the leading scorer for the Dubuque Fighting Saints of the USHL (12-14-26), is scheduled to join Vermont next September, though he might never pull on a UVM jersey if he becomes a first-round NHL draft pick next spring." Sounds like there's a good chance this mythical savior of the UVM hockey program might never make it to Burlington. We shall see. Sneddon also states he doesn't think the team's dismal play is hurting recruiting. Don't know how true that is, but what else is he going to say?

http://blogs.burlingtonfreepress.com/oncampus/

Comment

Originally posted by sk8tronthepond View Post
                This is impressive compared to some coaches at the D-1 level!!
                I agree that it is impressive. But despite this success, the program is in a lull. "What have you done for me lately" doesn't always apply in college sports but the expectations should be higher when a team is only a few seasons removed from a Frozen Four appearance.
                GO CATS GO!

2013 U20 Gold Medal
                2010 U20 Gold Medal
                USA HOCKEY
                1996 World Cup Champions
                2010 & 2002 Olympic Silver Medal
                2004 U20 Gold Medal
                U18 Gold '09, '06 & '05
                WNT 2008 & 2009 World Champions

Comment

With regards to Brickley and Paliotta. We wont know the real truth until the CHL trading deadline of January 7th. Can you imagine the pressure those teams are giving these two..."come to our team and develop under one of the most respected D coaches in Canada on a winning team or stay in Vermont and maybe develop on a losing team under Joe Gasparini???" Thats not fair!

Comment

I wonder how much the current lull has to do with the transition from a team that had most of it's players stay all 4 years to a team that now (with better players) has to deal with the possibility of players moving on in 2 or 3 years. That gives less time to develop players in the system and also makes it a little less of a team atmosphere I would think. When you have players that need to do well in order to get that big contract, that can also drastically change how a player plays. How many highly drafted players have panned out for UVM? Torrey. is that it? It seemed for a while that Kevin was getting his teams to overachieve by playing good physical hockey with strong defense. We would grind out games. Now it seems we are prone to low energy and stupid mistakes not to mention we seem to lose 2 players a year. It probably would help with recruiting if we get a new building, but our recruiting has been really good compared to the past and the results just aren't there. I think the issue may be the current coach's inability to get the best out of our highest recruited players.

Comment

I still think this team is going to be good next year. We are losing NOTHING and gaining a lot as long as there are not any unexpected departures. I think Girgensons shows up, Brickley stays and McCarthy will redshirt and give us two more years. Losing him really did devastate the team this year.

Comment

Originally posted by bogi View Post
                        It seemed for a while that Kevin was getting his teams to overachieve by playing good physical hockey with strong defense. We would grind out games. Now it seems we are prone to low energy and stupid mistakes...
                        This.

Guys are not working, blocking shots, etc. That needs to change. Talent does not replace hard work. Two a days until they feel like skating hard...
                        Last edited by jcarter7669; 12-21-2011, 06:50 PM.
                        Originally posted by Hokydad
                        Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
                          This.

Guys are not working, blocking shots, etc. That needs to change. Talent does not replace hard work. Two a days until they feel like skating hard...

I'm an old UVM fan but a new guy to the Forum.
                          For what its worth I offer my opinion.
                          It appears to me that there has always been a difference in objectives for D1 players and coaches.
                          Sneddon wants to win,players want exposure.Particularly those looking to play in the pros.
                          Unfortunately,Sneddon tries to build a winner around team defence.That what he knows and its been successful
                          for him.(winning record)
                          He can win a share of games but he will seldom attract a 'natural scorer' with that philosophy.
                          The reason Reynolds came is because his choices were limited because he's small.
                          (to my mind he's a 'natural'.)
                          The rest of the team appear very 'wooden', like they are following a script. The result of playing 'my system'.
                          Brickley and Stalberg have good,hard,accurate shots but they are positional and their shooting is predictable.

Comment

Merry Christmas Vermont.
                            'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Merry Christmas fellow Vermont fans, the question I have is if you could ask for anyone thing for our program as a Christmas present, what would it/they be? Mine would be a solid, consistent goaltender to replace our current one who is leaving after this year.
                              Others?
                              Plattsburgh '11 Go Cards.
                              National Champions 1992, 2001
                              21 SUNYAC Championships

Norwich University
                              National Champions 2000, 2003, 2010

University of Vermont
                              Future National Champions 201?

Comment

• Originally posted by VermontfaninNY View Post
                                Merry Christmas fellow Vermont fans, the question I have is if you could ask for anyone thing for our program as a Christmas present, what would it/they be? Mine would be a solid, consistent goaltender to replace our current one who is leaving after this year.
                                Others?
                                A new arena.

Comment

Working...
                                X