Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2011-12 Vermont Season Thread (Vezina & Conn Smyth trophy edition)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2011-12 Vermont Season Thread (Vezina & Conn Smyth trophy edition)

Horrible news about McCarthy. He's definitely a top 3 forward with Brickley and Stalberg. Hopefully he goes for the redshirt and post graduate year. I still say they are going to be much improved next year with an excellent incoming class - possibly top 10 nationally - and they lose almost nothing to graduation this year.

But this year just got a lot darker.

Comment

Originally posted by zoofer View Post
      Yes, 78 was a game to remember Greg but you know my all-time game was in 74, when Clark-Hislop-Cox line hit the post with seconds remaining, to leave Gutterson one goal short 8-7....that was Tom McNamara vs. Cap Raeder, John Glynn with his long hair on D, and Tom Colby skating circles around us! The fans were throwwing tennis balls on the ice at bad calls, but the frisbee thrown acros the ice surface pregame was always a team fave......now THAT was a fun road game even with the loss....
      Sorry to hijack your thread UVM fans, but despite the fact that the series between the two teams is decidedly lopsided in UNH's favor, there have been many memorable games with Vermont. Neil, I think you and I are a cult of two here, but that 1978 game, Mark Evans was the goalie. He made somewhere around 50 saves. But the box score in the paper the next day gave the UVM goalie the 50 saves and Mark about 30. On the strength of the error, the UVM goalie was named ECAC player of the week in the Globe. I remember calling the Globe to complain, to no avail. There was also a game that I didn't go to, in 1974, when UNH won up at the Gut and it was the headline in the Globe the next day. College hockey got way more ink back then, and deservedly so. As I am sure you remember, the Globe used to do profiles of college players, including Clark, Hislop and Cox.

Obligatory UVM reference here: I was a huge fan of Louis Cote and Kirk McCaskill. Great players. And those long haired, mustachioed, bearded teams with Willie MacKinnon back in the '70's were great. Cross really knew hot to recruit. I always felt that UNH and UVM were the upstarts compared to BU and Cornell back then. Of course UVM was DII for most of the '70's while UNH had moved up in the late '60's. Although they played almost every year, for awhile the games were an afterthought because UVM was not a league opponent. Their coming to Hockey East was a big, big addition to the league I felt, then and now.

We're heading to Burlington tomorrow for the weekend. Always one of my favorites towns, hockeywise and otherwise. I've got 14 people (most who are not up on college hockey) going to the game on my say so that the Gut has a great atmosphere. Hopefully the student section will refrain from the usual chants and prove me right!

Comment

Originally posted by GreenCat View Post
        Really??? Mitchell is a solid NHL player and was he even in the top 10 in points in Hockey East? Stalberg barely was a Hobey candidate and again is a solid NHL player. How many of those players put up more points in their last season versus their first or second? How many actually went down? What happened to last years defensive squad that was returning seniors coming off an NCAA birth? Was Sifers and Fallon recruited by Gilligan as well as Strong?
        Umm, pretty sure they all put up more points their last year then their first year. As for whether Sifers or Strong were recruited by Gilligan it really doesn't matter in this discussing which was about player development.

As for Mitchell he developed a great deal, especially on the defensive side. So yes, IMO really.
        Originally posted by Hokydad
        Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Originally posted by zoofer View Post
          Yes, 78 was a game to remember Greg but you know my all-time game was in 74, when Clark-Hislop-Cox line hit the post with seconds remaining, to leave Gutterson one goal short 8-7....that was Tom McNamara vs. Cap Raeder, John Glynn with his long hair on D, and Tom Colby skating circles around us! The fans were throwwing tennis balls on the ice at bad calls, but the frisbee thrown acros the ice surface pregame was always a team fave......now THAT was a fun road game even with the loss....
          I've seen some great games between UNH and UVM over the years and even though UNH holds the advantage in the all-time series the games are always entertaining. I particularly remember UVM coming to Svively with Tom McNamara in net and wondering if we were related since my last name is McNamara also. The odd thing today is that his son Tom and my son Tom (yes they are both named Tom McNamara!)played high school hockey together and are still best friends. I know my UVM friends point to a game in '78 when Cap Raeder came out of the net and Randy Koch scored an open net goal to win the game. I think the game was in Durham.

Wish I could be at the game tonight but my daughter is playing rugby for St. Michael's College for the league championship against AIC today.
          UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Well, disappointing result Saturday night for both teams I suppose. UNH has to be disappointed giving up the late lead, and UVM has to be disappointed in coughing up the 3 to 1 lead on a couple of awful defensive plays. MacKenzie is playing just awful right now, way too many turnovers and that was one of the worst giveaways ever, competes with Miller's give away against UNH late in the third a couple years ago that cost UVM a sweep of UNH.

Losing McCarthy is just brutal. That is just such a huge loss for such a young team. Someone has to step up every night and help Brickley lead this team. Saturday night it was Lenz. Is there some hope?

I'll be at the BU and NU games next weekend, I hope they build on what at times was an encouraging outing last night (the other times it was not encouraging, too many turnovers at their defensive blue line). Every time I start to get hope it gets squashed...

Comment

Originally posted by snwbrdr View Post
              Being picked 35th just does not seem right to me in the new Hockey East era..... I hope the team reads this and gets some serious motivation out of it.

http://www.insidecollegehockey.com/5...eat58_1002.htm

Being picked 20 spots back of Dartmouth makes we want to puke. Lets go Cats. Back to the land of some level of respect we must go.
              In retrospect, Inside College Hockey gave Vermont waaaaaaay to much credit.
              Lowell Forever
              Forever Lowell

Comment

Well, disappointing result Saturday night for both teams I suppose. UNH has to be disappointed giving up the late lead, and UVM has to be disappointed in coughing up the 3 to 1 lead on a couple of awful defensive plays. MacKenzie is playing just awful right now, way too many turnovers and that was one of the worst giveaways ever, competes with Miller's give away against UNH late in the third a couple years ago that cost UVM a sweep of UNH.

Losing McCarthy is just brutal. That is just such a huge loss for such a young team. Someone has to step up every night and help Brickley lead this team. Saturday night it was Lenz. Is there some hope?

I'll be at the BU and NU games next weekend, I hope they build on what at times was an encouraging outing last night (the other times it was not encouraging, too many turnovers at their defensive blue line). Every time I start to get hope it gets squashed...
                Thanks for the recap. Was beginning to wonder if anyone went to the game? Awfully quiet on here. It looks like we got a shorty which I can't recall when the last one happened so that is positive. We did tie so that is a step in the right direction and perhaps something to build on.

Comment

Bump. Almost couldn't find your thread anymore. Cheer up guys, it's a long ways to go!
                  Lowell Forever
                  Forever Lowell

Comment

Originally posted by Patronick View Post
                    Bump. Almost couldn't find your thread anymore. Cheer up guys, it's a long ways to go!
                    Here is what its like at a party at Patronick's place...

Patronick - Hold on everyone I have to check the Vermont thread

TIME PASSES

Patronick - Now thats done will someone get me some kleenex

Sounds of Crickets

Patronick - Dam I wonder why I have no friends.
                    New Arena New Arena where for art thou New Arena

Comment

Originally posted by Patronick View Post
                      Trivia question: Which school is the only Hockey East school not to play in the NCAA's this millennium?

Comment

Originally posted by WildShawn View Post
                        Trivia question: Which school is the only Hockey East school not to play in the NCAA's this millennium?
                        that would be the umass-lowell riverhawks

Comment

Originally posted by Cat lover View Post
                          Here is what its like at a party at Patronick's place...

Patronick - Hold on everyone I have to check the Vermont thread

TIME PASSES

Patronick - Now thats done will someone get me some kleenex

Sounds of Crickets

Patronick - Dam I wonder why I have no friends.

Anyone that obsessed with how well college kids play hockey defintely needs some friends.

Charter Member of the Catamount Hockey Bandwagon! GO CATS GO!

Comment

Horrible news about McCarthy. He's definitely a top 3 forward with Brickley and Stalberg. Hopefully he goes for the redshirt and post graduate year. I still say they are going to be much improved next year with an excellent incoming class - possibly top 10 nationally - and they lose almost nothing to graduation this year.

But this year just got a lot darker.
                            Serious question (not trolling) ... does anyone know how the medical redshirt works for hockey? I'm wondering if McCarthy might have played too many games already?
                            Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
                            2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                            2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
                            2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
                            2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
                              Serious question (not trolling) ... does anyone know how the medical redshirt works for hockey? I'm wondering if McCarthy might have played too many games already?
                              Not positive, but I believe the number is somewhere between 15 and 20% of the schedule or 5-8 games. I'm not sure when the clock starts (beginning of the season or first game played by the athlete).

Comment

Originally posted by Ryecheers View Post
                                Not positive, but I believe the number is somewhere between 15 and 20% of the schedule or 5-8 games. I'm not sure when the clock starts (beginning of the season or first game played by the athlete).
                                Thanks ... I've been curious about that in a few cases around Hockey East the past few years, but haven't been able to find something set in stone.
                                Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
                                2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                                2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
                                2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
                                2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Working...
                                X