Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: SLU Hockey 2011-2012

Originally posted by Got 6, Want More View Post
    I don't know. Clarkson lost two in a row and RPI is on fire. Brown gave Colgate everything they could handle last game at Starr and can bore teams to sleep and have some capable forwards, I'll never count out a team coached by Bob Prier and Princeton does have some talented guys and Yale is capable of self-destructing with penalties and defense and goaltending lapses. Don't know how many upsets there will be but I'll be suprised if many of these series in the next two weeks don't go three games.
    The ecac standings had QU in 4th last night,but Colgate did indeed earn the 1st round bye,Brown will head to the Q, not sure if you noticed
    RIT Tigers
    2006-2007, 2008-2009, 2009-2010, 2010-2011 Regular Season Champions
    2010,2015, 2016 Atlantic Hockey Champions

Comment

Originally posted by number 16 View Post
      Great win last night. We came out on fire in the 1st and then the game settled into pretty much a defensive battle - possibly because only 1 penalty was called in 60 min of hockey. I can't say enough about these freshmen. They entered without much fanfare but have been great in the 5games I've seen ( all on the road). Last night Pat Doherty, Chris Martin and Tommy Thompson were all over the ice. Martin's hussle setting up the empty netter was MUCH appreciated - we have lost too many this year in the last seconds. Best fo luck in the playoffs. GO SAINTS!
      Agreed! Nice to see a well officiated ECAC hockey game. Go Saints!

Comment

Originally posted by NYhockeyguy View Post
        The ecac standings had QU in 4th last night,but Colgate did indeed earn the 1st round bye,Brown will head to the Q, not sure if you noticed
        That stinking ECAC Hockey website was not working at all last night, so that was the source of my misinformation. That is good. I didn't think Q-Pac deserved that over Colgate. Colgate was pretty consistent and although they split, the Colgate sweep of Cornell was pretty awesome. Yeah, I don't see Brown as having a great chance against Q-Pac but you never know. Obviously, I have to hope for two upsets and a SLU victory so we can get SLU back to Harvard for 2-3 games!
        9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
        1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

Listened to both games this weekend. Harvard: After we killed off a couple of penalties to start the 2nd, it seemed like the rest of that period was entirely in Harvard's end. In the 3rd, it sounded like our energy was expended and we ran out of gas. Bottom line - Harvard goalie stole one. Dartmouth: I'm not saying that the game was played like this (those who were there can comment on this if they want), but the game sounded like it was very, very boring with little flow and many stoppages. Bottom line - SLU played the PERFECT road game and deserved the win that earned home-ice for this coming weekend.

After an 0-5 start, the Saints have come a long way and congrats. go out to the players and coaches. The thing I really like about this year's team is that it never threw in the towel after that very slow start.

Well, thank goodness, we managed to avoid playing at Cheel even if we and CCT both make it to Round #2. Cheel has not been kind to us over the years, that's for sure, and avoiding that place was "very good planning" IMO. LOL.

I hope to see many of you in Canton this weekend. I'll be there unless the weather gets real nasty.
          Last edited by Muskieman; 02-26-2012, 09:37 PM.
          GO SAINTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Muskieman View Post
            Listened to both games this weekend. Harvard: After we killed off a couple of penalties to start the 2nd, it seemed like the rest of that period was entirely in Harvard's end. In the 3rd, it sounded like our energy was expended and we ran out of gas. Bottom line - Harvard goalie stole one. Dartmouth: I'm not saying that the game was played like this (those who were there can comment on this if they want), but the game sounded like it was very, very boring with little flow and many stoppages. Bottom line - SLU played the PERFECT road game and deserved the win that earned home-ice for this coming weekend.

After an 0-5 start, the Saints have come a long way and congrats. go out to the players and coaches. The thing I really like about this year's team is that it never threw in the towel after that very slow start.

Well, thank goodness, we managed to avoid playing at Cheel even if we and CCT both make it to Round #2. Cheel has not been kind to us over the years, that's for sure, and avoiding that place was "very good planning" IMO. LOL.

I hope to see many of you in Canton this weekend. I'll be there unless the weather gets real nasty.
            Dartmouth was not boring at all. In fact, it was more like a 30 minute heart attack. With only one penalty, there were stoppages for icings, offsides and puck leaving the playing area, but it was a pretty quick game and a lot of up and down with chances at both ends. Good chances, but usually only one chance at a time. I thought it had good flow and was a much quicker game than Harvard.

Harvard was boring and frustrating. All Harvard did all night was ice the puck and shoot it up over our d-men to clear and then we'd fight for possession get another rush and their goalie would stop it. There was no room at all in the Harvard game. One alum said it best when he said it was like watching chicken scratch. Of the two, Havard was much tougher to watch and was a lot more boring.

The team I'd least want to face at the moment is visiting Cheel. RPI is on a tear at the moment. That should be interesting.

Comment

Dartmouth was not boring at all. In fact, it was more like a 30 minute heart attack. With only one penalty, there were stoppages for icings, offsides and puck leaving the playing area, but it was a pretty quick game and a lot of up and down with chances at both ends. Good chances, but usually only one chance at a time. I thought it had good flow and was a much quicker game than Harvard.

Harvard was boring and frustrating. All Harvard did all night was ice the puck and shoot it up over our d-men to clear and then we'd fight for possession get another rush and their goalie would stop it. There was no room at all in the Harvard game. One alum said it best when he said it was like watching chicken scratch. Of the two, Havard was much tougher to watch and was a lot more boring.

The team I'd least want to face at the moment is visiting Cheel. RPI is on a tear at the moment. That should be interesting.
              I'm glad that the game in Hanover wasn't boring. Perhaps my nerves got in the way while listening and forced my brain to believe that the game sounded boring as I begged the clock to move along faster than it did.

Agree 100% about Cheel. I'd like our chances better in any other rink in the country, and Cheel is the only rink that I won't go to as my stupid passion will get me in big trouble there.

Friday can't come soon enough.
              GO SAINTS.

Comment

Officially will not be in attendance for this weekend, and doubtful for any potential 2nd round matchup should we advance. I'm stuck in Houston working for the next couple weeks atleast. Sucks, but "welcome to the real world" for me.

Comment

Thanks, Dan, for providing the link in your WDT Blog for Brandon Bollig's call up by the Blackhawks. Here's the article:

Chicago Blackhawks: Call Up of Brandon Bollig Should Add Punch Back at ForwardBy Jon Fromi(Featured Columnist) on February 28, 2012 644:

Look for Brandon Bollig to announce his presence with authority following his recall from Rockford. The Chicago Blackhawks sent their enforcer John Scott to the Big Apple Monday afternoon. Those of you wondering where the protection is coming from were given the team's answer to that question Tuesday morning. After recalling Andrew Shaw Monday night, the Rockford Ice Hogs announced on their website that the 'Hawks are also recalling forward Brandon Bollig. If you're already missing the Murdersaurus, Bollig offers a different type of physical presence. A physical presence that can actually skate.

Bollig, 25, is a St. Charles, Missouri native who played college hockey at St. Lawrence University and was signed as a free agent by Chicago in 2010. He's 6"3" and 225 pounds and uses that size on the ice. He's a big hitter and currently is seventh in the AHL with 163 penalty minutes.

Let's make no mistake about this, folks. Bollig is up here for the purpose of replacing the departed Scott in the area of enforcement. Unlike Scott, Bollig is more than capable of skating fourth-line minutes for the Blackhawks.

Bollig can get to the net and clean up loose pucks. Think of him as a bigger, meaner (though he's a heck of a nice guy), more intimidating version of Shaw. He did have three goals and six assists in Rockford this season in 53 games, including a big goal Saturday night that led to a shootout victory over Milwaukee. Bollig has the mobility to reach opponents on the ice and lay the wood in a way Scott was largely unable to do. I wouldn't look for him to provide much in the area of scoring, but it is likely fans will notice his presence on the ice.

Is this a reward for a hardworking player or an audition for a longer gig with the 'Hawks? That remains to be seen. I would think Bollig's recall is the team's way of becoming more physical as the going gets tougher in these last few weeks of the season.

Chicago is a team that has guys like Jamal Mayers and Shaw, who regularly throw down the gloves, but lacked that heavyweight punch after the trade of Scott. Bollig, who will don the No. 52 Indian head sweater, is the first in line to fill that role for the remainder of the season.
                  Last edited by Muskieman; 02-28-2012, 07:56 PM.
                  GO SAINTS.

Comment

Less than 2 hours to get your picks in for round one of the ECAC PICK THE PLAYOFFS
                    Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                    And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                    WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                    If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Wow! Talk about terrible defensive coverage. Take nothing away from Dartmouth, they were better than us tonight and scored on their chances, but boy did we give them some chances. When we broke down, we broke down completely and Dartmouth scored on 6 of about 8-9. FUGLY!

We have to play a lot better....everyone or our seasons ends tomorrow. This was not the night to lay an egg but I don't think we have played that poorly in a while. Defensively, that was awful. Wenny had no chance except on the one off the faceoff goal #5 against?). Offensively, we have got to stop forcing shots. I don't know anyone who has a good enough shot to shoot it through someone.

Go Lady Saints!

Edit: Congrats to Wellsy and the Lady Saints! It is about time we stuck it to Harvard.

Comment

I actually thought that SLU was getting better chances for the majority of the game - Dartmouth just cashed in on theirs. But my goodness was the defense awful in the third period.

And as many good looks as SLU got on the PP, they need to put it in the net.

Comment

Originally posted by TimU View Post
                          I actually thought that SLU was getting better chances for the majority of the game - Dartmouth just cashed in on theirs. But my goodness was the defense awful in the third period.

And as many good looks as SLU got on the PP, they need to put it in the net.
                          We had some good looks, especially on the PP's we had in the second, but we are forcing shots and our passes were just a bit off all night. We had a big lead in shot attempts I am guessing, but probably a much smaller margin if any on SOG. It did not look like we had the fire we had last Saturday and we better find it FAST. I was afraid of this happening. I felt confident coming into the night but not I don't. We have two problems to solve - defense and offense (primarily on special teams for the latter but Dartmouth has been scoring on their PP's against us). I did think Thompson and Doherty played well but as a team, we did not. We better find a way to win this or it will be a disappointing end. If we can, and Brown and RPI can win one of their next two, we will get what I was hoping for which is another series against Harvard. But even doing our part of that is a BIG if now.

Comment

Wow! Talk about terrible defensive coverage. Take nothing away from Dartmouth, they were better than us tonight and scored on their chances, but boy did we give them some chances. When we broke down, we broke down completely and Dartmouth scored on 6 of about 8-9. FUGLY!

We have to play a lot better....everyone or our seasons ends tomorrow. This was not the night to lay an egg but I don't think we have played that poorly in a while. Defensively, that was awful. Wenny had no chance except on the one off the faceoff goal #5 against?). Offensively, we have got to stop forcing shots. I don't know anyone who has a good enough shot to shoot it through someone.

Go Lady Saints!

Edit: Congrats to Wellsy and the Lady Saints! It is about time we stuck it to Harvard.
                            For as bad as the men's game was, it was SWEET that the Women's Team finally, and I think for the first time, beat Harvard in a playoff game. I listened to the OT via Harvard's feed and went nuts when we scored. Well, men need to win two in a row and women, as I see it, need to beat Cornell tomorrow to keep their respective seasons alive
                            GO SAINTS.

Comment

Not pleased with the result. Didn't get to watch or listen but Tim kept me in the loop with texts.

Going in I felt this series was between two pretty evenly matched teams so no result would surprise me. Sure sounds like we had a major league meltdown in the third.

Congrats to Wellsy for not only the win tonight but for his Coach of the Year award.
                              SLU

Comment

Originally posted by critsports View Post
                                Not pleased with the result. Didn't get to watch or listen but Tim kept me in the loop with texts.

Going in I felt this series was between two pretty evenly matched teams so no result would surprise me. Sure sounds like we had a major league meltdown in the third.

Congrats to Wellsy for not only the win tonight but for his Coach of the Year award.
                                Congrats as well to Wellsy for not only his wins last night AND today, but for his Coach of the Year award. In front of over 2,000 and on the road, his Team just defeated now 29-4-0 Cornell at Lynah by a score of 3 to 1 to win SLU's FIRST EVER Women's ECAC Championship. The Team really earned it and, next, it's on to the NCAA's at a school TBD. So, the Women made certain that their season was extended and I hope the Men can do the same the next 2 games.
                                GO SAINTS.

Comment

Working...
                                X