Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: SLU Hockey 2011-2012

Originally posted by rdf8585 View Post
    SLU had a lot of fans in Schenectady last night.... a valiant effort, though.
    It pains me a bit to say this, but you'll have a bunch of fans rooting for you in Ithaca next week. At least our losses to Union this year were fair and square. We were simply outplayed both games.
    9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
    1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Got 6, Want More View Post
      When is the last time a team with a PWR of 15 got a bid?
      RPI in 2011. That was easy.

As for the stats, not real meaningful when one penalty can result in 15 minutes.
      Of the teams in the top 40 for penalty minutes, 32 earned between 2.3 and 2.6 minutes per penalty, including SLU. Face it - your team's penalty record speaks for itself, and it is very average, not saint-like (pun intended), regardless of the heroic efforts of your coaches.
      If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Maybe O'Byrne picked up some skills while doing his community service stint for purse snatching? Is he still with the last place Habs?
        If it helps you sleep at night thinking that a former Cornell player who wasn't much of a huge asset to our team in his three years there, is playing for a mediocre team in the NHL, then so be it, but to answer your question, no. O'Byrne plays for Colorado now, and Montreal isn't a last-place team in the Eastern Conference, let alone the whole NHL, either. Although it's pretty clear, from folks having to repeatedly correct your inaccuracies and misunderstandings regarding NCAA rules, officiating, and NHL rosters and standing, that facts don't seem to matter in your "throw it out there, and see what sticks" world.

Don't worry, maybe Flanagan will join Peverley in the NHL one day and be the next Crosby that you seem to think he is, although if he keeps diving, embellishing, and falling down every time another player so much as breathes on him, he's not going to last long.

Comment

Originally posted by css228 View Post
          Big talk for a team that just got swept by us this year... Seriously the officiating was awful, but its not like it was awful in either direction (see the 2 first period makeup calls while Cornell was on the PP). The goal was disallowed on intent because Iles had covered the puck and the ref lost sight. Absolutely the correct call. Happened to us much more questionably earlier this year. It happens. Deal with it. It was an exciting game. And the better team won. Just be glad that a few of our miscues even let you take this to overtime.
          Make up calls? Was it make up calls because the call on Wick was horse****? Or were they make up calls because Cornell got called for the point men very clearly setting a pick to give themselves space which they have done for years and rarely get called or the make up call for Ryan smoking a player not near the puck to give more room to the slow Cornell player? Answer is irrelevant as by even saying make up call you made my point about the quality of officiating.

Oh, thank you for your miscues. Obviously, we were clearly outmatched and should be ashamed that we didn't pay proper homage to the hockey royalty so kind to grace us with their presence. If you guys are half as good as you blow on these boards about being you'd be 27-0 at the moment. Maybe with more biased officiating and some skill you would be.

Comment

Originally posted by LynahScott View Post
            If it helps you sleep at night thinking that a former Cornell player who wasn't much of a huge asset to our team in his three years there, is playing for a mediocre team in the NHL, then so be it, but to answer your question, no. O'Byrne plays for Colorado now, and Montreal isn't a last-place team in the Eastern Conference, let alone the whole NHL, either. Although it's pretty clear, from folks having to repeatedly correct your inaccuracies and misunderstandings regarding NCAA rules, officiating, and NHL rosters and standing, that facts don't seem to matter in your "throw it out there, and see what sticks" world.

Don't worry, maybe Flanagan will join Peverley in the NHL one day and be the next Crosby that you seem to think he is, although if he keeps diving, embellishing, and falling down every time another player so much as breathes on him, he's not going to last long.
            O'Byrne didn't matter? Maybe he mattered more than you think since he is in the NHL and the goalies who got the accolades at Cornell are not? Was Doug Murray also inconsequential?

Yeah, maybe if Flanagan didn't have such sick skills he wouldn't be run at as he was both nights this weekend. I see now...he is just embelleshing when a player like McPherson who has 7 inches on him drills him into the boards from behind and he gets right back up but Gotovets does his acting job to sell a penalty on Wick in the first minute but doesn't miss a shift?

As for use of facts...please go ahead and show me where I said Flanagan is the next Sydney Crosby? If he makes it great, if he doesn't thats fine too but it would be nice if he at least has an honest shot instead of having his career ended by some ******** like Craig who was hitting high all night and going back to collect his high fives from the Cornell bench.

Comment

If you guys are half as good as you blow on these boards about being you'd be 27-0 at the moment. Maybe with more biased officiating and some skill you would be.
              I'll let you worry about biased officiating and skill...I'm pretty happy with what my team has, since it was good enough to sweep you guys at least.

Comment

O'Byrne didn't matter? Maybe he mattered more than you think since he is in the NHL and the goalies who got the accolades at Cornell are not?
                Where did I say he didn't matter? I said he wasn't a huge asset to our team at the time that he played for Cornell.

Comment

Didn't we do this last year after the Yale games?
                  YALE HOCKEY
                  2013 National Champions

Comment

Make up calls? Was it make up calls because the call on Wick was horse****? Or were they make up calls because Cornell got called for the point men very clearly setting a pick to give themselves space which they have done for years and rarely get called or the make up call for Ryan smoking a player not near the puck to give more room to the slow Cornell player? Answer is irrelevant as by even saying make up call you made my point about the quality of officiating.

Oh, thank you for your miscues. Obviously, we were clearly outmatched and should be ashamed that we didn't pay proper homage to the hockey royalty so kind to grace us with their presence. If you guys are half as good as you blow on these boards about being you'd be 27-0 at the moment. Maybe with more biased officiating and some skill you would be.
                    My point was that the officiating wasn't helping either team. ECAC refs are awful by definition. But they didn't give this game to Cornell. Cornell putting four legitimate goals past your sieve did.

Comment

Schafer's Cornell teams are not known for their goal production. Cornell scored five goals in a game only three times this year. There were no power play goals or short-handed goals in Saturday's Cornell - SLU game, in which Cornell scored four goals. Consider the possibility that SLU needs to work on defensive play rather than assume the ECAC harbors a vast conspiracy with unnamed and unfathomable motives.

Comment

Originally posted by Harp 34 View Post
                        Fun game to watch despite the loss. The team played hard the whole game and losing a tight one in ot to #12 is nothing to be ashamed of. I like the team's level of play since the albany trip and think they will be a tough matchup for any team come playoffs.
                        Agree with you 100%. I really liked SLU not quitting and giving it everything they had. I wouldn't want to face us in the playoffs. As for the officiating, I'm not going there as doing so solves nothing and will just raise my BP.

BTW, "thanks" SLU Administration for giving the Cornell Band the best seats in the house. I really like the Cornell Band, but don't like SLU putting them right next to the SLU Student Section. Duh! As an FYI, students do not count in the attendance figures at Appleton as there's no turnstyles there and students get in for free or via an "E-ZPass" Card. There's no way there were less than 3,000 at the Cornell game (listed as 1,933).

A really fun weekend - it was great to be there and thanks go out once again to Pat and Eric for their hospitality.
                        Last edited by Muskieman; 02-19-2012, 09:40 PM.
                        GO SAINTS.

Comment

Good seeing you Brian - maybe see you in a few weeks for playoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
                            OK, I was biting my lip and trying to stay out of this, but I bit all the way thru my lip !

Smith is a "cherry picker", what a joke, and this is based on watching one game?? What a absolutely ridiculous, bordering on "moronic" statement. Be honest, how many games did you watch him play this year ? Some games he just dominated "both" ends of the ice. Ask other teams what they think of him, good lord. He leads the league in "plus minus" and 50% more goals than his nearest competitor. (33)
                            You want him to play goalie also?
                            Moronic? Nice. Right back at ya.

I watched the Colgate/SLU game the other night. I've already said he's an excellent player, and that I would love to have that kind of goal-scoring production on my favorite team. And the other night he was cherry-picking while on the penalty kill, at least twice. He stood at the SLU blue line, waiting to see if his team could break up SLU's entry into the offensive zone and spring him for a breakaway. It doesn't mean he's a bad kid or a bad player, it doesn't mean he doesn't lead the nation in goals scored by a wide margin, and it doesn't mean I want him to play goalie. But it happened. Get as angry as you like at me for saying so, but that won't change.

Comment

Never angry at you Tim, and I said "bordering" not a shot at you. It was more at "everyone" cutting him down. For instance, someone said something like "Gees no wonder he has thirty three goals, hangin out getting "open netters" etc. I was a lil frustrated getting up Sunday am, that's all. I apologise if you took it personally, really, I don't do that (except for one RPI idiot) and you know who that is. LOL
                              It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
                                Never angry at you Tim, and I said "bordering" not a shot at you. It was more at "everyone" cutting him down. For instance, someone said something like "Gees no wonder he has thirty three goals, hangin out getting "open netters" etc. I was a lil frustrated getting up Sunday am, that's all. I apologise if you took it personally, really, I don't do that (except for one RPI idiot) and you know who that is. LOL
                                No problem - thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X