Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: SLU Hockey 2011-2012

Originally posted by Got 6, Want More View Post
    SLU has played great the last six games and although last night wasn't their best of those six, they were in it and I think would have prevailed if not for gutless, incompetent officiating.
    The only reason SLU ever loses a game, right?

What a bunch of whiners.

Comment

Did ELynah shut down, welcome all you Big Red posters !!
      It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

It's tough to get serious about a claim which assumes biased officiating, which is evidently the case here, but I'll try. It might have been poor officiating, but I don't know since I haven't seen the game. ECAC officiating might be sub-par, but I have nowhere near the immense amount of evidence to make such a claim, nor has anyone I know of. I do know for an absolute fact that the same officials call the game, well or poorly, for both teams. Just as certainly the claim that "the officials stole the game from us" assumes officials deliberately favored one team with their calls - presumably because of bigotry or pay-offs, but with ZERO evidence of either. I have known referees who would cheerfully rough up anyone making this accusation. I respect such referees and wish them well.

Comment

Originally posted by LynahScott View Post
          But according to Got6, 90% of the calls against SLU are bull**** and the result of biased officiating, so the "true" rate of PIMs that SLU's angels "intended" to commit would be much lower.
          Really? Where did I say that? Because I made a comment that the call on Wick last night wasn't a major if it was even a penalty. He was square and it was shoulder to shoulder. Gotevets fakes an injury and they call it 5.

By all means, you deserve to play in a league where one of the best players in the country takes a clear elbow to the head (a player who missed the last SLU-Cornell tilt with a concussion, and would have taken a second elbow to the head if he didn't duck out of the hit over by the penalty boxes but they do call one of 10 cross-checks in front of the SLU goalie 70-80% of which were committed by Cornell players but SLU got the only call.

Go ahead, watch the game tape of SLU versus Q-Pac. Penalties called 13 penalties on SLU, 6 on Q-Pac then watch the game tape and see how many were missed.

Your program is the definition of hypocrisy when Schafer has been disciplined for going after the officials and Schafer has a reputation within the league as does Gaudet and Donato and you guys sit here and defend them. On their best day, they are of little consequence to the outcome of the game. On their typical day, they are wildly inconsistent from one night to the next or one period to the next and they are not doing an adequate job of protecting the players. What is next? Are you guys going to tell us how much better the NHL is without guys like Pat LaFontaine, Eric / Brett Lindros, Sidney Crosby and Paul Kariya so we get to watch the finesse play of guys like O'Byrne.
          9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
          1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DisplacedCornellian View Post
            The only reason SLU ever loses a game, right?

What a bunch of whiners.
            And now the biggest tool of them all has made his appearance. That is right, I forgot it was in fact a Cornell cheapshot kneeing that knocked Flanagan out for a while as a freshmen. Class program all the way. Players, coaches, fans!

Comment

Are you guys going to tell us how much better the NHL is without guys like Pat LaFontaine, Eric / Brett Lindros, Sidney Crosby and Paul Kariya so we get to watch the finesse play of guys like O'Byrne.
              Hey now, this was a nice goal:

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
                OK, I was biting my lip and trying to stay out of this, but I bit all the way thru my lip !

Smith is a "cherry picker", what a joke, and this is based on watching one game?? What a absolutely ridiculous, bordering on "moronic" statement. Be honest, how many games did you watch him play this year ? Some games he just dominated "both" ends of the ice. Ask other teams what they think of him, good lord. He leads the league in "plus minus" and 50% more goals than his nearest competitor. (33)
                You want him to play goalie also ?

GOT6 is GOT6....SLU always gets screwed by the refs !! For fifteen or twenty years now poor SLU loses games due to officiating, nobody else in the league ever gets screwed by the refs. Too funny, but GOT6 at least you're consistant, and that's all I ask for. Still smiling.

I like SLU, Marsh(he's great) and you posters but geeshhh !!! Hey, maybe we play each other at Starr in the playoffs !
                Yeah, maybe we can come down and dump you guys on your butts at Starr if it doesn't get condemned first. C'mon up to the North Country any time you want. Smith may win the Hobey but the fact remains during a crunch time weekend his team walked out of a pair of games with 1 goal that came off a broken play and no points for the Raiders in a tight race. Just glad the game winner at SLU came off a PP goal on a clear penalty for 5 for CTH for a 'gate defensemen clearly going for Flanny's head. McPherson's was more blatant but that was only a two. More solid consistency from the officials. Comparing Smith to MSL....we are getting a bit ahead of ourselves. The important stat is where Colgate finishes and right now the only team in line for an at-large is Union so who wins the league matters more than individual stats to most, but I guess not all, players.

Comment

I don't make predictions but you should zip it and move on. It is not a crazy bet considering that it was a 1-0 loss at Cornell with our best D-Man and Best Forward out and the simple fact that Cornell had not won at Appleton in six years. You got a gift from the refs last night. Take it and go bore the crap out of the Lynah faithful with your clutch and grab snoozefest next weekend.

SLU has played great the last six games and although last night wasn't their best of those six, they were in it and I think would have prevailed if not for gutless, incompetent officiating.
                  Big talk for a team that just got swept by us this year... Seriously the officiating was awful, but its not like it was awful in either direction (see the 2 first period makeup calls while Cornell was on the PP). The goal was disallowed on intent because Iles had covered the puck and the ref lost sight. Absolutely the correct call. Happened to us much more questionably earlier this year. It happens. Deal with it. It was an exciting game. And the better team won. Just be glad that a few of our miscues even let you take this to overtime.

Comment

SLU had a lot of fans in Schenectady last night.... a valiant effort, though.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
                      Did ELynah shut down, welcome all you Big Red posters !!
                      Actually this is GREAT. Our thread has been dead for far too long. We go weeks with few if any posts. I'm glad everyone is throwing in their ten cents or in some cases ten dollars worth!

Originally posted by LynahScott View Post
                      But according to Got6, 90% of the calls against SLU are bull**** and the result of biased officiating, so the "true" rate of PIMs that SLU's angels "intended" to commit would be much lower.
                      You were almost spot on with your quote.....you just have to substitute "Saints" for "Angels"!!!! After all we do have a holy nickname!!

As to my ten cents it's only worth about a penny as I didn't watch the game but listened. As to the officiating and position of the coaches and the team the article in the Watertown Times sums it up. Our team captain Jake Drewiske is a pretty classy guy and although he didn't want to take anything away from Cornell's victory he did intimate there were some missed calls. Here is his quote:

“We don’t blame the refs whatsoever, but it would have been nice to get a few more power plays,” Drewiske said. “Our power play has been hot. I think when (the officials) watch the film in the next few days they’ll realize that they missed some calls.”

Here is the link to the article in the Watertown Times which gives a decent representation of what went on.

http://http://www.watertowndailytimes.com/article/20120219/SPORTS03/702199890/-1/sports
                      SLU

Comment

right now the only team in line for an at-large is Union
                        Wrong again. Current PWR:

Code:
                        Rank	Team 	PWR	W-L-T	Win %	Win % Rank	    RPI	   RPI Rank	vs. TUC	    TUC %
                        15	Cornell	17	14-6-7	.6481	        7	    .5373	14	 4-4-3      .5000
                        Cornell has one more TUC game on Friday, and would probably have 1 more if they make it to the ECAC semis. If they win those two, I can definitely see them getting an at-large bid if they lose the championship game (depending how teams around them do, of course). The fact remains that right now, they are in line for an at-large.
                        If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                          So your evidence for how cleanly SLU plays is to point out the majors they've been committing? LOL.

Look at the stats - the majority of teams get between 12 and 15 minutes per game, with only a few egregious outliers (e.g. Clarkson). SLU is right in the middle of that mix at 14 minutes per game, so your coaches are no more effective at convincing your guys to play cleanly than other typical teams.
                          Really, that is what you took away? The difference is that if players make bad, selfish plays, they sit. In fact, looking at twitter feeds of ECAC players, Gunnar Hughes was ridiculed by his team mates with statements such as "Hitting from Behind is a choice"! And it is throughout the lineup at SLU. Years ago ECAC POTY TJ Trevelyan slashed a player in retaliation at Union as he was skating to the bench...no call but he sat the next game because of it. That is responsible coaching. Craig had three blatant CTH infractions last night and didn't miss a shift. So it wasn't called because ECAC refs are paralyzed by fear of calling a penalty against Cornell in a close game. Let's see what happens later. There is such a thing as karma. Let's see if he does that in AC or game 3 of the playoffs and puts his team down for 5 minutes? Yale got their Karma after some cheapshots in the ECAC's last year and it came in their winnable game against UMD. I have spent years watching WHL and WCHA hockey and the quality and consistency of officiating is 10 times greater.

As for the stats, not real meaningful when one penalty can result in 15 minutes. What is meaningful is a game like SLU versus Q-Pac where the number of penalities was 13-6 and that was completely opposite of what it should have been based on what happened on the ice.

Maybe O'Byrne picked up some skills while doing his community service stint for purse snatching? Is he still with the last place Habs?

Comment

Originally posted by critsports View Post
                            Actually this is GREAT. Our thread has been dead for far too long. We go weeks with few if any posts. I'm glad everyone is throwing in their ten cents or in some cases ten dollars worth!

You were almost spot on with your quote.....you just have to substitute "Saints" for "Angels"!!!! After all we do have a holy nickname!!

As to my ten cents it's only worth about a penny as I didn't watch the game but listened. As to the officiating and position of the coaches and the team the article in the Watertown Times sums it up. Our team captain Jake Drewiske is a pretty classy guy and although he didn't want to take anything away from Cornell's victory he did intimate there were some missed calls. Here is his quote:

“We don’t blame the refs whatsoever, but it would have been nice to get a few more power plays,” Drewiske said. “Our power play has been hot. I think when (the officials) watch the film in the next few days they’ll realize that they missed some calls.”

Here is the link to the article in the Watertown Times which gives a decent representation of what went on.

http://http://www.watertowndailytimes.com/article/20120219/SPORTS03/702199890/-1/sports
                            Thanks for the link and the doses of sanity. Sounds like Hurlburt flat out disagrees with Got6 regarding the waved off goal:

“They [the refs] had a better view than we did.”
                            If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Wrong again. Current PWR:

Code:
                              Rank	Team 	PWR	W-L-T	Win %	Win % Rank	    RPI	   RPI Rank	vs. TUC	    TUC %
                              15	Cornell	17	14-6-7	.6481	        7	    .5373	14	 4-4-3      .5000
                              Cornell has one more TUC game on Friday, and would probably have 1 more if they make it to the ECAC semis. If they win those two, I can definitely see them getting an at-large bid if they lose the championship game (depending how teams around them do, of course). The fact remains that right now, they are in line for an at-large.
                              When is the last time a team with a PWR of 15 got a bid? They might get at bid without winning it in AC but it really is not that likely at the moment. Right now the 5-8 teams in the league are barely TUC's so assuming they get home ice they could win 2 straight and still not budge. With the parity in college hockey and the fact that before last nights game only FSU had 20 wins, you can plan on a bunch of teams from Hockey East, WCHA and CCHA making it as this year the ECAC has been pretty horrific OOC which doesn't help in H2H comparisons.

Comment

Thanks for the link and the doses of sanity. Sounds like Hurlburt flat out disagrees with Got6 regarding the waved off goal:
                                Yeah, that is what coaches say that don't want to get suspended.

I am not about to repeat things that have been said to me but suffice it to say you are probably wrong. Further, they is a growing consensus amongst ECAC coaches that officiating is a real issue in the league and I can promise you that Schafer is part of that consensus.

I wonder if Hurlbut did disagree with me though why he sent Drewiske over to talk to the refs after that goal was disallowed, after Jillson scored with a cornell player on top of our goalie or when Gunnar Hughes got smoked in the head five feet in front of both Hurlbut and the ref late in the third. I am sure Drewiske was just going over there to tell them what a great job they were doing and that none of the SLU goals should have counted because one of our players once used an illegal stick in junior hockey.

Comment

Working...
                                X