Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: SLU Hockey 2011-2012

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
    It was certainly easy to be, especially after the RIT debacle. However, looking back at it, all 3 of those teams (Ferris, RIT, Michigan) are ending up to be pretty darn good. SLU has now played 10 ranked teams in 19 games, that's nothing to shake our head at by any means, especially only being 3 games from .500 (unofficially, with the 2 SO "wins", we would be 1 game from .500, currently 7-10-2). I'll gladly take that record after starting out 0-5.

So, since the first 5 games (including the Carleton exhibition), we are now 7-6-2, with 2 more NC games before the ECAC grind. I'll predict we finish .500 for the season (I'm going to guess we'll finish up with a 15-15-4 record), and end up at 23 points in ECAC play, +/- 1 point.

Minnesota State W
    Minnesota State W
    Brown W
    Yale W
    @Clarkson T
    @Rensselaer W
    @Union L
    @Yale W
    @Brown T
    Quinnipiac L
    Princeton W
    Colgate L
    Cornell L
    @Harvard W
    @Dartmouth L

Let's hope to stay healthy, work hard, and find success in the new year for the Saints!!

OK. I'll be the dreamer.
    With all the attention Brown is now getting, Saints now have unquestionably the lowest profile in the low profile ECAC.
    Meanwhile our PP is getting seriously dangerous. Flanny will keep up his scoring pace, Carey will catch fire, and Wenninger will keep playing as good as any goalie in the league. The D needs to cut down on mistakes in their own end and with Hughes back, that happens - the pairs solidify.
    The scrappy Holiday tournament win - which included coming back from down 3-0 vs Merrimack and winning two Canasta shootouts - helped a lot.
    I say, dodge the injury bug and this young team clicks.
    Ya Gotta (Quietly) Believe!

Minnesota State T
    Minnesota State W
    Brown W (big game)
    Yale W
    @Clarkson W
    @Rensselaer W
    @Union W (huge road win)
    @Yale L (we get jobbed at the Whale)
    @Brown T
    Quinnipiac W (we're in 2nd/3rd place and on fire)
    Princeton W
    Colgate T
    Cornell W
    @Harvard W (Men v Boys)
    @Dartmouth W

an 11-1-3 finish puts us at 18-8-5 (14-6-2)
    wake me up when its over.

Comment

Dream big!

I think it's reasonable to hope for a .500 record by the end of the year, and I would also take that in a heartbeat. The spring schedule will be a grind at best. There aren't any great teams in the ECAC, but there are several very good ones.

But there sure is a lot to like about SLU right now. The team was already finding ways to win without Flanagan and Hughes, and the special teams were already coming together. But those two are game changers. The PP hasn't looked this dangerous in ten years. The freshmen look great. There are some things that need improvement, but we've got a shot every single night.

Comment

Sounded like a bit of a sloppy game, but the boys found a way to win. PP stayed hot, going 2-8, but we gave up a couple PP goals too. I really like the looks of the lines they had tonight (I believe the same from over the weekend, would have to check). Hopefully they keep the current unbeaten streak rolling tomorrow night, would be real nice to have a bunch of momentum going into the ECAC grind.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
          Sounded like a bit of a sloppy game, but the boys found a way to win. PP stayed hot, going 2-8, but we gave up a couple PP goals too. I really like the looks of the lines they had tonight (I believe the same from over the weekend, would have to check). Hopefully they keep the current unbeaten streak rolling tomorrow night, would be real nice to have a bunch of momentum going into the ECAC grind.

Have to think last night was a step backwards for our Saints. While it is OK to "dream big" as some of you have.....the reality is we have not established any sort of dominance at Appleton and that as much as anything will come back to haunt us as the season rolls on. This is the year of the "home game" after the road schedule of last year. Until this team can establish a significant home ice advantage (as much as I hope I am wrong) I think 500 is the best we will see.
          SLU

Comment

If the team thinks anthing like most of the dreary posts here, they'll be lucky to win another game.
            As fans, isn't it our duty to urge on this young, talented team and leave the sober reporting to pros like Dan C.?
            This is a critical time for the program. We have undeniable talent, a rather unique coaching situation, a tough conference schedule ahead. Lets get some mojo going and keep the ".500-at-best" chorus a little quieter.
            We are going to tear it up vs Bruno and Yale this weekend.
            Go Saints!

Comment

Originally posted by W-force View Post
              If the team thinks anthing like most of the dreary posts here, they'll be lucky to win another game.
              As fans, isn't it our duty to urge on this young, talented team and leave the sober reporting to pros like Dan C.?
              This is a critical time for the program. We have undeniable talent, a rather unique coaching situation, a tough conference schedule ahead. Lets get some mojo going and keep the ".500-at-best" chorus a little quieter.
              We are going to tear it up vs Bruno and Yale this weekend.
              Go Saints!
              No problem........just trying to be objective and mention a few points. Establishing some home ice dominance this weekend would certainly be a right step. I think those of us who have watched SLU for awhile now, and this current team in particular agree that we have talent and a great coaching staff. That alone does not guarantee anything. Hard work on the ice does and I hope the boys come out to play this weekend.
              It should be an interesting one and surprisingly the Brown game could be more difficult than the Ylae game. Neither will be easy. Ylae certainly hasn't impressed this year while Brown is doing way better than predicted with up and down results.

Let's Go Saints!!!
              SLU

Comment

• Originally posted by critsports View Post
                No problem........just trying to be objective and mention a few points. Establishing some home ice dominance this weekend would certainly be a right step. I think those of us who have watched SLU for awhile now, and this current team in particular agree that we have talent and a great coaching staff. That alone does not guarantee anything. Hard work on the ice does and I hope the boys come out to play this weekend.
                It should be an interesting one and surprisingly the Brown game could be more difficult than the Ylae game. Neither will be easy. Ylae certainly hasn't impressed this year while Brown is doing way better than predicted with up and down results.

Let's Go Saints!!!
                Yale has certainly been inconsistant, and we always match up well with them.

For those who may not have seen, Kyle Flanagan has been nominated for the initial group of players in the running for the Hobey Baker. While I highly doubt he'll win it, it is very nice to see him rewarded for his great season thus far, despite missing almost half the season. 13 ECAC players were named to this initial list.

Comment

"While I highly doubt he'll win it..." That's the spirit 1015!
                  Of course he won't win it because Saints will be fortunate to end up near .500 and win another game at Appleton, right?

If Flannigan were to just stay on his current scoring pace and the team gets on a roll...who's to say Flannigan doesn't win it?
                  This forum used to be a place for inside info and passionate, intersting discourse on Saints puck. It has turned into a burial ground for enthusism and hopes.

Comment

Originally posted by W-force View Post
                    Of course he won't win it because Saints will be fortunate to end up near .500 and win another game at Appleton, right?

If Flannigan were to just stay on his current scoring pace and the team gets on a roll...who's to say Flannigan doesn't win it?
                    This forum used to be a place for inside info and passionate, intersting discourse on Saints puck. It has turned into a burial ground for enthusism and hopes.
                    It's great that you choose to be optimistic. But being a fan doesn't mean you can't have an honest opinion. You need to be able to differentiate between hopes and expectations. Everybody here hopes that SLU wins every game from here on out. Everyone here hopes that Flanagan scores 3 points per game and wins the Hobey. But just because we take an objective look at our own favorite team and players, and compare them to the other players and teams across D1 hockey, it doesn't mean we don't fully support SLU hockey or that we're trying to sabotage the season. If Flanagan wins the Hobey Baker Award, we'll all be thrilled for him and for SLU. If he wins it, it won't be because you predicted he would, and if he doesn't, it won't be because hp1015 predicted he wouldn't.

I want SLU to go undefeated the rest of the way and win the national championship. But I don't expect that it will happen that way this year. I don't think they'll win all their conference games. (I don't think anyone else in the conference will, either.) So what? It's OK to say that: it's not an insult to any SLU player or staff member. Nobody's more firmly behind our current coaches than I am, and nobody has higher hopes for the team. I can say the same for critsports, hp1015, and lots of other people here. But part of this site is talking about college hockey in general, and predicting that my favorite team is never going to lose another game is meaningless . . . and it won't add up to a single point in the standings. I enjoy discussing the ups and downs of the games, the team, and the program over the years. If you want to predict a perfect record every year, go ahead. But don't expect everyone else to.

Comment

• Originally posted by W-force View Post

Easy man, just being realistic with the situation. I believe Austin Smith will be the ECAC front runner for the Hobey, barring injuries or other unforeseen events. Even then, I don't expect he'll win it, if only for playing in the ECAC and the (unjust) bias against our league from a national perspective. Andy Iles is also another player who could make a run, especially if Cornell is successful.

I will be one of the first to say I'm firmly behind this team, no matter what the results are. I remained very optimistic during the first 5 game stretch that had a lot of us scratching our heads and wondering just how bad the season might get. Along with TimU, Critsports, Leckster, Tayt, Muskieman... we all hope this team runs the table for the next 3 months and brings the championship to Appleton, but realistically, I think we all realize that at this point that is a far fetched hope. Not saying it is impossible, but we aren't the best team in the nation, yet

Comment

Thought this would bring back some fond memories for all of us. I know that Spaceman, who was in Hawaii at the time, spent over $200 in telephone bills as he called a friend in NYC every-10 minutes for updates.

Remembering 2000’s East Regional

St. Lawrence players reflect on epic four-overtime marathon

Jeff Williams, NCAA.com

Last Updated - January 12, 2012 4:09 GMT
                        Contact | Archive | RSS

St. Lawrence’s Robin Caruthers scored the game-winning goal at 3:53 into the fourth overtime.

One of Robin Caruthers' memories of the longest game in the history of the NCAA Men's Ice Hockey Championship is how he felt afterward.

"I was stiff for two days," said Caruthers, whose goal 3:53 into the fourth overtime gave his St. Lawrence team a 3-2 victory against Boston University in the East Regional on March 26, 2000, and sent the Saints to the Frozen Four. "I remember it was an early game but it didn't end until after 6 p.m."

The game lasted more than the length of two full hockey games (123:53) and was more than a full period longer than the previous longest NCAA Tournament game (100:28 by Maine and Michigan in 1995). While the length of the game was one thing, the play on the ice was what made the 2000 game so much fun to be a part of according to those who were there.

In all, the game still holds four NCAA Championship records and it was the third longest game overall in NCAA history.

"It was just an amazing game," St. Lawrence head coach Joe Marsh said. "Throughout the overtime periods, one team would have a two-on-one break and the other team would counter with a three-on-two break. It was just back and forth."

"It was like we would alternate overtimes," said Derek Gustafson, who was the winning goal keeper for the Saints. "It seemed like they'd really take it to us in one overtime and we would answer in the next period."

In all, Gustafson made 72 saves which is still the second-most saves in an NCAA Tournament game and the seventh-highest total in any game regular-season or postseason. His counterpart, Rick DiPietro, made 77 saves, an NCAA Tournament record and the most saves in any collegiate hockey game since 1965.

The pair was two of the top freshman goal keepers in the country in 1999-2000 and both signed professionally after the season. Gustafson signed as a free agent with the Minnesota Wild. DiPietro was the first overall pick in the 2000 NHL Entry Draft and is currently in his 11th year with the New York Islanders. He has been an all-star (2008) and he represented the United States in the 2006 Olympics.

After BU tied the game at 2-2 with just less than nine minutes left in the third period, Gustafson and DiPietro both pitched shutouts for more than 70 minutes and through three full overtime periods. During the first three overtimes Gustafson recorded 36 saves without allowing a goal while DiPietro faced 38 shots without a tally.

With both teams no doubt feeling the effects of over 120 minutes on the ice in the fourth overtime, St. Lawrence's Jim Lorentz forced a Boston University turnover and got the puck ahead of the BU defense. Caruthers got a shot on DiPietro who made his 77th save (43rd save in OT), but Caruthers was able to get to the rebound, put the puck past DiPietro and set off the celebration.

"After the initial dog pile on the ice, everyone was pretty exhausted in the locker room," Caruthers said. "But we had almost two weeks before the next game so we had some time to enjoy the win in the build up to the Frozen Four."

"One thing that stood out was the conditioning of both teams, especially BU since it had already played once in the regional," Marsh said. (As the No. 2 seed in the East Region, St. Lawrence had a first round bye).

"I'm now 34 years old and I scored my share of goals," Caruthers said. "But that's probably by far the number one goal I've ever scored."

In all, the game still holds four NCAA Championship records and it was the third longest game overall in NCAA history (regular season or postseason). Two weeks later, Boston College scored two goals in the final two minutes to end St. Lawrence's national title hopes with a 4-2 victory in the national semifinal.

"In retrospect, it was certainly a very special game and one of my favorite memories," Marsh said. "I've always had a lot of respect for the BU program and I think Jack Parker is one of great coaches in our game. So, for us to play in that game, in that atmosphere, against a team with the status of the BU program was very special and I feel fortunate to have been a part of it."
                        GO SAINTS.

Comment

Great find, Brian. Easily my favorite memory as a Saints fan (wasn't alive for the LP run in 88), and something I'll easily remember forever.

Comment

Sullivan picks us to get swept this weekend. Prove him wrong, fellas.

Comment

My wife's office holiday party is tonight. (Don't ask me why.) I will have my cell phone with me, just in case anybody gets the urge to text score updates.

So, if we play Brown on Friday the 13th, does that reverse the curse, or double it?

Comment

Per SLU website:
                                Tonight's game v Brown has been postponed until Sunday at 4pm due to severe winter weather and power outages affecting Appleton.

Comment

Working...
                                X