SLU Hockey 2011-2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: SLU Hockey 2011-2012

Little late to the party, but hope all of you had a Merry Christmas and wishing everybody a happy, healthy new year. Hopefully I'll get to see the rest of you sometime in the springtime at a game somewhere.

Comment

Although I hope to be at the game vs Merrimack tomorrow - I am having a difficult time convincing my wife that the best way to spent New Year's Eve is at a college hockey game. Reminding her that we spent our honeymoon at one 34 years ago did not seem to help! Any suggestions??

Comment

Originally posted by number 16 View Post
        Although I hope to be at the game vs Merrimack tomorrow - I am having a difficult time convincing my wife that the best way to spent New Year's Eve is at a college hockey game. Reminding her that we spent our honeymoon at one 34 years ago did not seem to help! Any suggestions??
        Tell her that all the other kids are doing it (Mike and I will both be there Saturday) and that you'll be home before midnight!!!

Comment

Tim - still grounded. You and Mike will have to cheer them on for me. Safe trip over the mountain.

Comment

But, New Year's Eve is on Saturday! In any event, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.
            GO SAINTS.

Comment

Big unofficial dubya for the boys tonight! Martin wins it in the hated shootout in the 9th round, but it goes in the books as a 6-6 tie, which is a fine result anyways. Flanny and George Hughes were back in the lineup, and combined for 6 points... as if we didn't realize we missed them in the lineup.

Great start to the 2nd half for everybody, Merrimack is going to be a top HE team, and tied Colgate while losing to Union, so all things being equal, we're hopefully going to end up in the top half of the ECAC if the boys work hard like we know they're capable of.

Comment

Tim - still grounded. You and Mike will have to cheer them on for me. Safe trip over the mountain.
                We'll hold down the fort for you Steve. Good seeing you last night.

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
                Big unofficial dubya for the boys tonight! Martin wins it in the hated shootout in the 9th round, but it goes in the books as a 6-6 tie, which is a fine result anyways. Flanny and George Hughes were back in the lineup, and combined for 6 points... as if we didn't realize we missed them in the lineup.

Great start to the 2nd half for everybody, Merrimack is going to be a top HE team, and tied Colgate while losing to Union, so all things being equal, we're hopefully going to end up in the top half of the ECAC if the boys work hard like we know they're capable of.
                An interesting game to watch for sure!!!
                Flanny and Hughes impact was certainly felt.....nice game by both and it certainly made a big difference in the lineup and on the Power Play. At 3 zip I thought we were done as Merrimack had a lot of swagger. Hughes got momentum back on our side with the first goal and then the 5 on 3 and 5 on 4 goals were both beauties. I am sure both goalies would like to have a bunch of do overs as both tenders had big spans of lost confidence. Come the shoot out Cannata is such a "big" goalie he took up a lot of space and seemed to not want to commit or go down so a lot of our attempts were shots as opposed to dekes. Watching the shoot out Leckster and I joked about what would happen if they went through the whole line up and wondered if they keep going round again?
                Both teams hit some pipes and Merrimack hit two in the shootout alone!!! Goalies best friend, right??

Officiating was "questionable" at best......thought for sure Merrimack should have picked up an extra penalty when one their guys ran our defenseman into the boards on a late icing call. Instead a player from each side went off which opened up the ice for Merrimack's extra attacker goal.

It was nice to see our boys not quit particularly when we were down big early. Looking forward to tonights game.
                SLU

Comment

Good OOC tie against a ranked team. Your ECAC brethren salute you!
                  . . . still crazy after all these years. . .

Comment

2 shootouts +
                    2 ties =
                    1 championship!!!!

GO SAINTS

Comment

Originally posted by freego View Post
                      2 shootouts +
                      2 ties =
                      1 championship!!!!

GO SAINTS
                      Great way to kick off the 2nd half. Good for the fellas too, they're clearly turning the corner and getting the systems down now, which will lead to success. I was texting with TimU through the game, and remarked how negative mostly all of us were after the first 5 games. Funny how far we've come since then, we can certainly make a run for the top half of the ECAC.

Comment

Hurlbut and Kyle Flanagan After Ledyard Classic Championship: http://www.youtube.com/user/jmklump33?feature=mhee#p/u

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
                          Great way to kick off the 2nd half. Good for the fellas too, they're clearly turning the corner and getting the systems down now, which will lead to success. I was texting with TimU through the game, and remarked how negative mostly all of us were after the first 5 games. Funny how far we've come since then, we can certainly make a run for the top half of the ECAC.
                          Well, I was one of those who was negative after the first five games, but the team obviously wasn't. Kudos to the Saints for sticking with it, in particular after being down 3-0 to #7-ranked Merimack and staging a huge comeback.

How to go Saints. Nice weekend.
                          GO SAINTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Muskieman View Post
                            Well, I was one of those who was negative after the first five games, but the team obviously wasn't. Kudos to the Saints for sticking with it, in particular after being down 3-0 to #7-ranked Merimack and staging a huge comeback.

How to go Saints. Nice weekend.
                            It was certainly easy to be, especially after the RIT debacle. However, looking back at it, all 3 of those teams (Ferris, RIT, Michigan) are ending up to be pretty darn good. SLU has now played 10 ranked teams in 19 games, that's nothing to shake our head at by any means, especially only being 3 games from .500 (unofficially, with the 2 SO "wins", we would be 1 game from .500, currently 7-10-2). I'll gladly take that record after starting out 0-5.

So, since the first 5 games (including the Carleton exhibition), we are now 7-6-2, with 2 more NC games before the ECAC grind. I'll predict we finish .500 for the season (I'm going to guess we'll finish up with a 15-15-4 record), and end up at 23 points in ECAC play, +/- 1 point.

Minnesota State W
                            Minnesota State W
                            Brown W
                            Yale W
                            @Clarkson T
                            @Rensselaer W
                            @Union L
                            @Yale W
                            @Brown T
                            Quinnipiac L
                            Princeton W
                            Colgate L
                            Cornell L
                            @Harvard W
                            @Dartmouth L

Let's hope to stay healthy, work hard, and find success in the new year for the Saints!!

Comment

After his sizzling weekend on the scoresheet, Flanny is ranked #1 in pts/gm out of the top 50 scorers in the nation, besting Colgate's Austin Smith by .01. 19 points in 11 games so far for Kyle.

Comment

• eRe: SLU Hockey 2011-2012

Good game last night. I thought both teams played well. The first period was pretty even. SLU was ahead in shots thanks to a couple of power plays, but Dartmouth got some very good chances. SLU won the second period and all the great work on the PP finally paid off. Dartmouth made a great push and won the third period - they definitely earned their goal and could have had more. Weninger made one unbelievable glove save. SLU had the only shots of the overtime, but Dartmouth had a couple of very good opportunities where they must have just missed the net.

I don't know how the rest of the season will turn out, but I will say that, especially considering the rocky start, SLU looks pretty darn good right now. The power play hasn't looked this dangerous for ten years. The freshmen look terrific, and Flanagan is really tearing it up. I can't wait to see them play again.

Happy New Year to everyone.

Comment

Working...
                                X