Merrimack College 2011-2012 Season Thread - vita post Da Costa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merrimack College 2011-2012 Season Thread - vita post Da Costa

Well folks, just four days until our first season game...a Hockey East game no less. Figured I'd get this thread started.
    Before there was a band there was "the drum guy"

@SalvucciM

Re: Merrimack College 2011-2012 Season Thread - vita post Da Costa

Originally posted by Salvo1017 View Post
    Well folks, just four days until our first season game...a Hockey East game no less. Figured I'd get this thread started.
    Really looking forward to seeing what the Sheen/Madsen/Flannigan line is capable of this year. Also, can Joe C repeat his epic performance? I'm sort of hoping he's given more rest in order to keep him fresh for what should be a brutal February. Especially considering the depth we have at G.

Comment

Realistically Merrimack's goal should be the garden this year. As a season ticket holder I am expecting another great year at lawler as the team should be competitive. I excited to see Union this year and having a game the night before thanksgiving. My only concern is the loss of Da Costa will be greater than expected. Last year everyone had to play for him and he had the toughest matchup every night
      Last edited by MCgrad07; 10-03-2011, 12:07 PM.
      Rinks Visited
      DCU Center
      Tulley Forum
      TD Garden
      Tsongas Arena
      J. Thom Lawler Arena
      Conte Forum
      Whittemore Center
      Agganis Arena
      Verizon Center
      Gutterson Fieldhouse
      Matthews Arena
      Thompson Arena
      Mullins Center
      Alfond Arena
      Schneider Arena
      Magness Arena
      Ingallas Arena
      Hart Center
      Prudential Center
      TD Bank Sports Center
      John A Ryan
      Lynah Rink
      Appleton Arena
      Cheel Arena
      Germain Arena
      XL Center
      Class of 1965 Arena

Comment

I honestly don't think losing Da Costa is going to be as big of a hit as everyone thinks. Not saying we won't miss him, but he's not the be all and end all of the team.

Sheen/Madsen/Flannigan line was arguably the best line down the stretch last year. I'm looking forward to seeing what they can do too Yuppie.

As for in goal, agreed. Tirronen is gonna be given some time I imagine, he could be the next great one I think.

@SalvucciM

Comment

I honestly don't think losing Da Costa is going to be as big of a hit as everyone thinks. Not saying we won't miss him, but he's not the be all and end all of the team.

Sheen/Madsen/Flannigan line was arguably the best line down the stretch last year. I'm looking forward to seeing what they can do too Yuppie.

As for in goal, agreed. Tirronen is gonna be given some time I imagine, he could be the next great one I think.
          He was not a key contributor down the stretch, and they won what, six games without him? It's a shame we'll never know how he might have done if he could have played the year uninterrupted. (Maybe we'll see it on the Sens).

Would have been nice to have a tune up against Bentley or someone before At Maine. They're gonna be "lubed up early" there with the rink reno, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Yuppie Scum View Post
            Would have been nice to have a tune up against Bentley or someone before At Maine. They're gonna be "lubed up early" there with the rink reno, etc.
            That certainly would be nice, but there is little doubt that the boys will be ready come game night. The biggest concern for them should be how they plan to stop Maine's offense, and less on how they plan to blow them away offensively.

Ultimately, I feel like this Merrimack program is to the point where they can average 3 goals a game and let their defensive play do the rest. The last series that MC played up at Maine did not go well, mostly because of defensive lapses and being anxious to take that early lead.

It also bears watching that Maine is one of two long road winless streaks Merrimack was unable to break last season (BC being the other). We haven't won up there since 1997, and we only get one crack at it this season.

My only question for opening night is how many freshman crack the lineup to make their debut in one of the toughest road arenas in college hockey? My over/under is 4, place your bets
            "Get used to this drill, we'll be doing it a lot."
            "Why?"
            "Because the legs feed the wolf, gentlemen..."

Comment

Originally posted by WarriorDJ View Post
              road winless streaks Merrimack was unable to break last season (BC being the other). We haven't won up there since 1997, and we only get one crack at it this season.

My only question for opening night is how many freshman crack the lineup to make their debut in one of the toughest road arenas in college hockey? My over/under is 4, place your bets
              3; Alfond will be loud and shocking after that long lonely bus ride up. Got to protect the younglings for a bit Expect to see more the next week against Army, and then UConn after that.

@SalvucciM

Comment

3; Alfond will be loud and shocking after that long lonely bus ride up. Got to protect the younglings for a bit Expect to see more the next week against Army, and then UConn after that.
                Maine students go on break friday so it might not get that loud.
                Curse of the Timmy

Comment

I like Joe to steal the opener in Maine for the Warriors. I really see them going 6-2 at worst to start the season. Northeastern at home, Army, U Conn should all be wins and maybe lose one against Vermont and a loss either to Maine or Northeastern.
                  Rinks Visited
                  DCU Center
                  Tulley Forum
                  TD Garden
                  Tsongas Arena
                  J. Thom Lawler Arena
                  Conte Forum
                  Whittemore Center
                  Agganis Arena
                  Verizon Center
                  Gutterson Fieldhouse
                  Matthews Arena
                  Thompson Arena
                  Mullins Center
                  Alfond Arena
                  Schneider Arena
                  Magness Arena
                  Ingallas Arena
                  Hart Center
                  Prudential Center
                  TD Bank Sports Center
                  John A Ryan
                  Lynah Rink
                  Appleton Arena
                  Cheel Arena
                  Germain Arena
                  XL Center
                  Class of 1965 Arena

Comment

Maine hasn't been nearly as tough a place for opponents for a few years now.... good luck this year warriors!

Comment

Originally posted by WildShawn View Post
                      Maine hasn't been nearly as tough a place for opponents for a few years now.... good luck this year warriors!
                      This is true but better then most. Much better than UNH
                      Curse of the Timmy

Comment

Originally posted by Gusforhobey View Post
                        This is true but better then most. Much better than UNH
                        UNH at Alfond the last six seasons: 6-3-0
                        Maine at the Whittemore Center the last six seasons: 0-7-0

Maine used to be a house of horrors for most teams, it just isn't anymore

Comment

And yet, Merrimack has only managed two ties up there in 14 years.... 0-22-2 haha
                          "Get used to this drill, we'll be doing it a lot."
                          "Why?"
                          "Because the legs feed the wolf, gentlemen..."

Comment

What do people think the lines should be?

I'd like to see:
                            Collins-Bates-Todd
                            Flanigan-Madsen-Sheen
                            Velleca-Gould/Singleton-Myers
                            Bly-Jardine/Brodhag-Heffernan/Mansfield
                            Last edited by irishfan85; 10-05-2011, 12:31 PM.

Comment

I'm not disagreeing that UNH has had a better team over the past few years.
                              Anyways, this is the MC thread, we'll just have to see what happens this year.
                              Curse of the Timmy

Comment

Working...
                              X