Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2011-12 Minnesota Season Thread (Pride On Ice Returns!)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011-12 Minnesota Season Thread (Pride On Ice Returns!)

With the exhibition game in the books and the season set to start next week, I thought it was about time to start a season thread. Good showing by the team tonight, and lots of promise that Pride On Ice has returned! I know the schedule and stats are easy to find elsewhere, but I thought it would be nice to have in this thread for easy reference. I will do my best to keep them up-to-date

RECORD (Overall/Confence/Pts)

9-1-0/6-0-0/12 Pts
    WCHA Standings: 1st Place

SCHEDULE/RESULTS

10/02/11 vs. British Columbia # Mariucci Arena W, 3-0
    10/07/11 vs. Sacred Heart W, 9-0
    10/08/11 vs. Sacred Heart W, 6-0
    10/14/11 at Minnesota Duluth W, 5-4 OT
    10/15/11 at Minnesota Duluth W, 5-4
    10/21/11 vs. Vermont W, 6-0
    10/23/11 vs. Vermont L, 4-5
    10/28/11 at Alaska-Anchorage W, 5-0
    10/29/11 at Alaska-Anchorage W, 3-1
    11/04/11 vs. North Dakota W, 2-0
    11/05/11 vs. North Dakota W, 3-2
    11/11/11 at Wisconsin Madison, Wisconsin 7:00 p.m. CT (FSN)
    11/12/11 at Wisconsin Madison, Wisconsin 7:30 p.m. CT (BTN)
    11/18/11 at St. Cloud State at St. Cloud State 7:30 p.m. CT
    11/19/11 vs. St. Cloud State Mariucci Arena 7:00 p.m. CT
    11/25/11 at Michigan State East Lansing, Michigan 6:00 p.m. CT
    11/26/11 at Michigan State East Lansing, Michigan 6:00 p.m. CT
    12/02/11 vs. Minnesota State Mariucci Arena 7:00 p.m. CT
    12/03/11 vs. Minnesota State Mariucci Arena 7:00 p.m. CT
    12/09/11 vs. Michigan Tech Mariucci Arena 7:00 p.m. CT
    12/10/11 vs. Michigan Tech Mariucci Arena 8:00 p.m. CT

Mariucci Classic
    12/30/11 vs. Niagara Mariucci Arena 7:00 p.m. CT
    12/31/11 vs. Northeastern/Princeton Mariucci Arena 6:00 p.m. CT

01/07/12 vs. Notre Dame (Hall of Fame Game) Mariucci Arena 7:00 p.m. CT
    01/13/12 at North Dakota Grand Forks, N.D. 7:30 p.m. CT
    01/14/12 at North Dakota Grand Forks, N.D. 7:00 p.m. CT
    01/20/12 vs. Colorado College Mariucci Arena 7:00 p.m. CT
    01/21/12 vs. Colorado College Mariucci Arena 5:00 p.m. CT
    01/27/12 vs. St. Cloud State Mariucci Arena 7:00 p.m. CT
    01/28/12 at St. Cloud State St. Cloud, Minn. 7:00 p.m. CT
    02/10/12 at Denver Denver, Colorado 8:30 p.m. CT
    02/11/12 at Denver Denver, Colorado 8:00 p.m. CT
    02/17/12 vs. Bemidji St Mariucci Arena 7:00 p.m. CT
    02/18/12 vs. Bemidji St Mariucci Arena 7:00 p.m. CT
    02/24/12 at Nebraska-Omaha Omaha, Neb. 7:30 p.m. CT
    02/25/12 at Nebraska-Omaha Omaha, Neb. 7:00 p.m. CT
    03/02/12 vs. Wisconsin Mariucci Arena 7:00 p.m. CT
    03/03/12 vs. Wisconsin Mariucci Arena 7:00 p.m. CT

STATS-SKATERS (GP-G-A-PTS-PIM +/-)

20 Alt, Mark 10-1-4-5-14 +8
    17 Ambroz, Seth 10-2-1-3-27 +1
    27 Bjugstad, Nick 10-8-7-15-4 +12
    22 Boyd, Travis 8-0-4-4-0 +3
    24 Budish, Zach 10-3-8-11-17 +9
    16 Condon, Nate 10-4-4-8-2 +2
    21 Hansen, Jake 10-3-8-11-18 +9
    19 Haula, Erik 10-7-10-17-10 +10
    4 Helgeson, Seth 10-0-2-2-20 +6
    12 Holl, Justin 10-2-3-5-8 +6
    26 Isackson, Christian 2-0-0-0-0 -1
    23 Larson, Jared 0-0-0-0 -
    18 Larson, Nick 7-1-1-2-6 +3
    10 Marshall, Ben 10-1-1-2-12 +12
    9 Matson, Taylor 10-2-3-5-12 +1
    15 Miller, Joe 0-0-0-0 -
    6 Parenteau, Jake 8-0-0-0-0 +4
    7 Rau, Kyle 10-8-7-15-2 +14
    13 Sacchetti, Nico 3-0-0-0-0 -
    29 Schmidt, Nate 10-1-11-12-4 +6
    14 Serratore, Tom 10-2-0-2-2 +4
    3 Student, Chris 0-0-0-0 -
    5 Thompson, Blake 2-0-2-2-8 +2
    11 Warning, Sam 10-3-3-6-8 +4

STATS-GOALIES (GA-Avg-Min-Saves-Pct W/L/T)

35 Patterson, Kent 16-1.60-602-258-0.942 9/1/0
    1 Shibrowski, Michael 0-0.00-0-0.000 0/0/0
    30 Kremer, Jake 0-0.00-0-0.000 0/0/0
    Last edited by JDUBBS1280; 11-11-2011, 02:01 PM.

Re: 2011-12 Minnesota Season Thread (Pride On Ice Returns!)

What I thought I saw last night was a continuation of what we've seen over the past several years; they lack finishers. The Gophs dominated the play, but only beat the opposing goalie twice. Should have been about 6 times with the level of puck control they showed.

Comment

You forgot the gold smiley!
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Summary of exhibition game.

A Sound Defensive Game

Under returning assistant coach Mike Guentzel, the Gopher defensive corps looked to be much improved overall. Tonight's group of Seth Helgeson, Justin Holl, Mark Alt, Ben Marshall, Jake Parenteau, Blake Thompson, and Chris Student help hold British Columbia no shots on goal in the first period.

More Improvement on the Blueline

The defensemen were also aggressive offensively, making several rushes into the offensive zone. The Gophers attempted a lot of shots from the point and players like Mark Alt, Justin Holl, Ben Marshall, and Chris Student were not afraid to carry the puck deep into the offensive zone.

Filling the Aaron Ness Void

Speaking of Marshall, the Mahtomedi-native looked like a valid replacement for Aaron Ness on the blueline. Though he is one of the team's smallest defenders, he showed that he can make up for his lack of size with quick bursts on the backcheck and good anticipation. He also showed the ability to make opponents miss while making rushes up the ice and displayed his superb vision on with a couple blueline-to-blueline passes.

Replacing Cepis?

Jacob Cepis was good goal-scorer and a pesky player to deal with last year--certainly a player who will be hard to replace. However, two of the Gophers' freshman forwards, Kyle Rau and Sam Warning, showed some promising similarities to Cepis tonight. Both players showed a fearlessness that will help them deal with the physical WCHA style of play as well as a few signs of playmaking ability. Warning tallied an assist on Jake Hansen's game-winning goal.*

Goaltending

Though they weren't tested much, the Minnesota goaltenders showed they will be up to the task this season. Kent Patterson wasn't fazed by the absence of shots faced in the first period and stopped all three shots he faced, while Mike Shibrowski turned way all seven Thunderbird shots that came his way. The highlight of the night between the pipes was Shibrowski's save on a Cole Wilson one-timer in the second period that forced the Colorado College transfer to move quickly across the crease.

http://www.gophersports.com/blog/hockey/
        Last edited by JDUBBS1280; 10-03-2011, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
          What I thought I saw last night was a continuation of what we've seen over the past several years; they lack finishers. The Gophs dominated the play, but only beat the opposing goalie twice. Should have been about 6 times with the level of puck control they showed.
          You have to give some credit to their goaltender too. I don't remember where I read it, but he was one of the top goaltenders in the WHL the past few years. The Gophers had some opportunities they just missed on, and I think we'll start to see them hit more on those as guys get into the groove. Some things to work on yet, like the power play and penalty kill, but much more positives to take away than negatives IMO.

Comment

I love the enthusiasm, and I hope you are right, but I'll believe it when I see it. We have been waiting four years for them to get into a groove.
            the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
              I love the enthusiasm, and I hope you are right, but I'll believe it when I see it. We have been waiting four years for them to get into a groove.
              Don't get me wrong. My expectations aren't sky-high for this season, but I do think we'll see a step in the right direction. If we don't make the Final Five and get a tournament bid, I'll be surprised.

Comment

Hopefully this is the year will springboard the Gophs back to dominance in college hockey! Minny needs a winner and I hope that Gopher Hockey will be just that.
                Gopher Sports

The official UND Fan Website

Go Gophs!

Comment

Originally posted by MMECT View Post
                  Hopefully this is the year will springboard the Gophs back to dominance in college hockey! Minny needs a winner and I hope that Gopher Hockey will be just that.
                  What about the Lynx??!!?

the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
                    Filling the Aaron Ness Void

Replacing Cepis?
                    I gotta ask, are you serious on these two points?

Ness: I'm going to go out on a limb and say his 2G and 12A for a whopping total of 14 points on the season will not be missed. I know some people here have hard-ons for the guy, but come on, they will not miss him as much as some of you people think they will.

Cepis: Ok, so he led the team in scoring. He was a hustle player and he was gritty, I get it. Trust me, I liked the guy.....a lot. But do you really think they will miss his, again whopping, 29 point total for the season? I'm going to go out on a limb and say the Gophers have (at least) two guys that break the 30 point barrier this season.

I understand your points, but you'd think we are losing all-WCHA type talent that needs to be replaced and that just isn't the case.
                    "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
                      I gotta ask, are you serious on these two points?

Ness: I'm going to go out on a limb and say his 2G and 12A for a whopping total of 14 points on the season will not be missed. I know some people here have hard-ons for the guy, but come on, they will not miss him as much as some of you people think they will.

Cepis: Ok, so he led the team in scoring. He was a hustle player and he was gritty, I get it. Trust me, I liked the guy.....a lot. But do you really think they will miss his, again whopping, 29 point total for the season? I'm going to go out on a limb and say the Gophers have (at least) two guys that break the 30 point barrier this season.

I understand your points, but you'd think we are losing all-WCHA type talent that needs to be replaced and that just isn't the case.
                      I didn't write the summary. It was from Gophersports.com. And I agree with much of your post.

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                        what about the lynx??!!?

Are they really lifting your spirit? It's taken a lot more than that (beer) for me!
                        Gopher Sports

The official UND Fan Website

Go Gophs!

Comment

I liked how the Freshman played last night, most of them looked like they belong and hustled. Rau had some nice scoring chances and some great passes to setup scoring chances. Marshall seems calm with the puck and his outlet passes were on the money, I know UBC stinks and all but it was nice to see. They should be able to score some more goals this year.

On to Sacred Heart....does Sacred Heart have any fans? If any Sacred heart fan could give us some insight about your team that would be great.

Comment

Originally posted by MMECT View Post
                            Are they really lifting your spirit? It's taken a lot more than that (beer) for me!
                            And some shots

Comment

Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
                              I liked how the Freshman played last night, most of them looked like they belong and hustled. Rau had some nice scoring chances and some great passes to setup scoring chances. Marshall seems calm with the puck and his outlet passes were on the money, I know UBC stinks and all but it was nice to see. They should be able to score some more goals this year.

On to Sacred Heart....does Sacred Heart have any fans? If any Sacred heart fan could give us some insight about your team that would be great.
                              Iceburg posted this on the GPL board....

Sacred Heart has one local on their roster, Alex Stuart, a St. Coud area defenseman that played his high school hockey at Shattuck bofore a few years in the USHL. Also, it appears the son of former NHL player Pat Verbeek is on their roster. They weren't very good last year, but obviously you can't sleep on anyone.

Comment

Working...
                              X