Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NMU @ Wisconsin Oct. 7 & 8 - Let's Kick the Tires and Light the Fires....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NMU @ Wisconsin Oct. 7 & 8 - Let's Kick the Tires and Light the Fires....

So, um... IT'S FINALLY HOCKEY SEASON

Neither school enjoyed Canadian Cupcakes this past weekend, so I'm sure there will be plenty of experimenting this week.... Both teams are expected to be mid-pack in their conferences, so what is your take on the series/season?

Also, any tips for someone making their 1st trip to the Kohl? Food/Drink suggestions for the weekend are welcomed
    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Re: NMU @ Wisconsin Oct. 7 & 8 - Let's Kick the Tires and Light the Fires....

It'll be nice to see Thurber again.

And on the food/drink it really depends on where your hotel is, but near the Kohl Center there is a endless amount of bars my favorite being Jordans Big Ten Pub (that coming from someone not even close to of age, but with alot of experince in Madison).
    WISCONSIN BADGERS
    NCAA Championships: 1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, and 2006
    WCHA Regular Season Champions: 1977, 1990, and 2000
    WCHA Tournament Champions: 1970, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1982, 1983, 1988, 1990, 1995, 1998, and 2013
    B1G Tournament Champions: 2014
    Hobey Baker winner: #5 Blake Geoffrion

Comment

My vote for food and drinks goes to foot at Dottie's Dumpling Dowry and drinks at Wando's. As long as you arent planning on driving home that night, the fishbowls are amazing.
      As for the outcome of this series, I have no idea what to expect. Im hoping the Badgers get the sweep or at least a split but theres so many unknowns for them right now.
      A Badger living in Buckeye country.
      Originally posted by MadCityRich
      He blossomed after he left the U, and they still named a city in Minnesota after him?
      Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
      Sieve, Minnesota? Never heard of it.
      Originally posted by Timothy A
      I know my distain of anything and everything related to IL or MN is totally insane, but that's me; you can't change the genetics.
      "The state of North Dakota may not exist. It's like South Dakota's Canadian girlfriend." -- Stephen Colbert

Comment

So what is UW up against this weekend? What are NM's strength's and weaknesses? UW is young, young, and young with no experience between the pipes.
        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by GoBucky36 View Post
          My vote for food and drinks goes to foot at Dottie's Dumpling Dowry and drinks at Wando's. As long as you arent planning on driving home that night, the fishbowls are amazing.
          As for the outcome of this series, I have no idea what to expect. Im hoping the Badgers get the sweep or at least a split but theres so many unknowns for them right now.
          Or park someplace near Lucky's (Up Regent towards Camp Randall Stadium) or the Stadium Bar (up Randall ave from the stadium) and take their shuttles. Many other bars also have shuttles. Depends where your hotel is or where you are staying.
          Fighting Sioux Forever

Comment

Originally posted by MadTownSioux View Post
            Or park someplace near Lucky's (Up Regent towards Camp Randall Stadium) or the Stadium Bar (up Randall ave from the stadium) and take their shuttles. Many other bars also have shuttles. Depends where your hotel is or where you are staying.
            Theres lots of options in town. Dottie's is my usual pregame bar and Wando's is the postgame spot. Burgers in Madison dont get much better than Dottie's.
            A Badger living in Buckeye country.
            Originally posted by MadCityRich
            He blossomed after he left the U, and they still named a city in Minnesota after him?
            Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
            Sieve, Minnesota? Never heard of it.
            Originally posted by Timothy A
            I know my distain of anything and everything related to IL or MN is totally insane, but that's me; you can't change the genetics.
            "The state of North Dakota may not exist. It's like South Dakota's Canadian girlfriend." -- Stephen Colbert

Comment

*For NMU Fans*

I know there is an NMU get together at the Nitty Gritty about 2 blocks away from the kohl center after Friday's game.
              NMU

Comment

Originally posted by GoBucky36 View Post
                Burgers in Madison dont get much better than Dottie's.
                This is truth. Don't argue with science.
                Originally posted by solovsfett
                To you I say 73, 77, 81, 83, 90, 06. Eat it.
                Originally posted by SCSU Euro
                You sir, are the greatest person from Wisconsin in recorded history.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                  So what is UW up against this weekend? What are NM's strength's and weaknesses? UW is young, young, and young with no experience between the pipes.
                  I think any discussion of who to watch on NMU has to be Justin Florek... He is coming into his Senior season and is the leader of this team... Last year he put up 13 goals and 15 assists... Hoping that we can see a bit more production from him this season... Other Forwards that I'll be looking at to produce would be Stephan Vigier and Andrew Cherniwchian (sp)...

Defense was a bit shaky last season, so that is a question mark for me... Scott MacCauley is the anchor... CJ Ludwig is another player who I am hoping can step up his game this season... Overall, it seems that we have some big boys skating on the back line, so I am hoping that we can use that to our advantage...

Goaltending right now is a coin-flip... Both Reid Ellingson and Jared Coreau had their moments both good and bad last season... JC showed that he has the potential to anchor this team in his start at Notre Dame last year however... If he plays like that, it's his job to lose... You'll probably see both in action this weekend however unless someone just steals the show on Friday...

Originally posted by UWisco View Post
                  It'll be nice to see Thurber again.

And on the food/drink it really depends on where your hotel is, but near the Kohl Center there is a endless amount of bars my favorite being Jordans Big Ten Pub (that coming from someone not even close to of age, but with alot of experince in Madison).
                  Thanks to everyone for the suggestions ... My group will be staying down at the Sheraton, so we're planning on getting a cab/shuttle to Downtown/Kohl Center and back... Seems like it's off by itself as far as the dinner/nightlife thing goes... Definately going to have to check out the NMU gathering at the Nitty Gritty while down that way....
                  It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

I would guess the senior Ellingson will get the start Friday and sophomore Coreau on Saturday.

The defense was shaky last year but that was mainly due to freshman Epp and Ludwig getting major minutes against opposing team's top lines. This year the still young D has a lot of minutes under their belt going in to the season. They will be improved. I see the top 4 d-men at the start of the season being (in no particular order) Epp, Ludwig, Follmer, and Mccaulay.

I think scoring will be the biggest question mark this season. There's lots of potential with the likes of Florek, Gron, Cherniwchan, Vigier, Higby, and newcomer Walchuk. But I expect early season struggles as they find line combos that work.

Comment

The two times I went to Madison to watch NMU, we had a good time on State Street. A great atmosphere. I had my first Spotted Cow at State St. Brats. My beer drinking life will never be the same.

Comment

Sounds like NM has an edge @ D and G, F is a wash?

All I want to see is UW give up no more than 3 goals in each game. They have to establish solid D play first and foremost early in the season.

Comment

Sounds like NM has an edge @ D and G, F is a wash?

All I want to see is UW give up no more than 3 goals in each game. They have to establish solid D play first and foremost early in the season.
                          I'd give the edge on D to Wisconsin. You guys have an All-American back there while the Cats have no seniors on D and while they are more experienced than last year, still have room to improve.

Comment

I see this has been answered already, but here is the season preview for NMU:
                            MARQUETTE, Mich. – The Northern Michigan University hockey team looks to get back to its winning ways after having only its second losing season under Coach Walt Kyle in 2010-11. The Wildcats finished sixth in the Central Collegiate Hockey Association with an overall record of 15-19-5 and 12-13-3-0 in conference play and were bounced from the conference tournament by Bowling Green State. It was the earliest exit in the postseason since 1999-2000.

“We played a lot of guys who had little to no experience last season,” Kyle said. “We committed a lot of time to young players and we feel the experience that they gained will pay off for us this year. I feel much more comfortable going into this season.”

Kyle returns 15 letterwinners from a year ago, including his top three goal scorers in senior forwards Tyler Gron, Justin Florek and Andrew Cherniwchan. Gron led the team with 17 goals in 2011. He also had 15 assists to lead the team with 32 points. Seven of his goals came on the power play. He was named CCHA Offensive Player of the Week twice and has been named to the preseason CCHA Second Team. Florek finished the season with 14 goals and had 15 assists for 29 total points. He has appeared in 120 games as a Wildcat and was an honorable mention preseason conference pick. Cherniwchan was third in points with nine goals and 14 assists. He has appeared in 118 career games.

“We return some very good experience at the forward position,” Kyle said. “Gron, Florek and Cherniwchan have played a number of games and will be counted on to fuel our offense. Matt Thurber and Reed Seckel sat out last season and will be counted on and we have a number of young guys who will batter for playing time.”

Junior Thurber sat out last season after transferring from Wisconsin and sophomore Seckel went down early in the year with an injury. Other forwards returning are juniors Kory Kaunisto and Brian Nugent along with sophomores Erik Higby, Jake Johnson and Stephen Vigier. Three freshmen join the front line for the ‘Cats with the addition of Ryan Daugherty, DJ Vandercook and Dylan Walchuk.

Juniors Scott Macaulay and Kyle Follmer return on the blue line to anchor the Wildcat defense. Macaulay led the team in assists with 17 and plus minus last season. Sophomores Austin Handley, Wade Epp, Ryan Kesti and CJ Ludwig also saw action. Freshmen Jake Baker, Mitch Jones, Nathan Taurence and Eric Walker will add size to the back side.

“We return five defensemen and add three young defensemen who have very good size and strength for their age,” Kyle said. “The defense has gotten bigger and stronger and the freshmen will earn ice time as the year goes on.”

Reid Ellingson and Jared Coreau both return between the pipes. Ellingson, a senior, started 26 games and had a 91.6 save percentage. He was twice named CCHA Goaltender of the Week. Coreau, a sophomore, started 13 games in his first season. He had four games stopping over 40 shots and also earned twice weekly league honors. Senior Devan Hartigan will also battle for time between the pipes after playing third string last season and seeing action in six games in 2008-09.

“Every night we’re going to dress the best 20 guys and play the best 19,” Kyle said.

NMU was picked sixth in the CCHA Coaches Poll. The media picked the ‘Cats seventh in a tie with Ferris State. Notre Dame was the top pick with Miami, Michigan, Western and Alaska ahead of the NMU.

“Notre Dame is clearly the best team in the league,” said Kyle. “Michigan, Miami and Western Michigan are right behind the Fighting Irish and all those teams are always at the top of our league.”

The ‘Cats play a 35-game schedule with 18 games at the Berry Events Center and 17 on the road. NMU plays three non-conference series against Western Collegiate Hockey Association teams and opens the season at Wisconsin (Oct. 7-8) and then hosts St. Cloud State (Oct. 14-15). The ‘Cats play Michigan Tech in a home-and-home series and also host the Russian Red Stars in an exhibition game on Dec. 30. NMU plays home and away series with conference teams Lake Superior State, Miami, Michigan and Michigan State.

“We have a really good schedule this season and we play arguably one of the toughest schedules we’ve had in a long time,” Kyle added. “The conference teams that we play four times have a great history of success and are perennially quality teams in the CCHA.”

NMU’s first home game is set for 7:30 p.m. Oct. 14 against St. Cloud State at the Berry Events Center. All NMU hockey games can be heard on 100.3 FM “The Point”, the official radio station of the NMU Wildcats.
                            Always a Wildcat...
                            Originally posted by Kepler
                            If you quote the derp you are spreading the derp. Please help keep the board derp-free.

Comment

Originally posted by NMUFAN View Post
                              I'd give the edge on D to Wisconsin. You guys have an All-American back there while the Cats have no seniors on D and while they are more experienced than last year, still have room to improve.
                              UW has an All American jr, 1 rock solid jr, a little used sr who probably won't play, a very good so, a highly regarded fr, 2 somewhat used so, and a fr that's an unknown. Basically UW will be playing 4 D who should be adequate, and then there's a pool of 4 D who we just don't know much about. Sound like NM has more experience across the line, they just don't have 1 mega talented guy.

Comment

Working...
                              X