Providence College Friars - 2011-12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Providence College Friars - 2011-12

With the opening of the season time to kick off the 2011-12 Thread.

PC won the Exibition Opener with McGill 5-3 freshman Frade netted 2.

The official opener in the State of Hockey at Bemidji State University was a classic goalie battle ending 0-0 with Frade getting the only goal in shoot out after OT - so tie. Zuzana Tomcikova, the BSU goalie was as good as commented and maybe the biggest goaltender I have seen in women's college hockey. Genevieve Lacasse though was absolutely spectacular in net - she has really taken her game and control in net to a whole new level over the summer through her work with the Canadian National program. The Friars looked liked they had had a long road trip until about half way through the game on Friday night.

I was very impressed with the freshman added to the Team they will contribute and add great depth through out the season

Go Friars - should be a fun season!
    Last edited by joehockey; 10-01-2011, 10:44 AM.

Re: Providence College Friars - 2011-12

Looks like the lone goal in a shootout decided this one according to collegehockeystats. Sorry...had to nit pick.
    Last edited by brookyone; 10-01-2011, 08:56 AM.
    Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
      Looks like the lone goal in a shootout decided this one according to collegehockeystats. Sorry...had to nit pick.
      Thanks corrected I would never be one to join thoses who say you nit pick

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
        I apologize for nit-picking even further, but a shoot-out in a non-conference game "decides" absolutely nothing. It's an exhibition for the fans, nothing else. The game is a tie.
        Personally, I wish the shootout in conference play would also go away, even though they tend to favor my beloved Beavs with the Great Zuzana in nets.

Comment

Originally posted by capitalist2 View Post
          I apologize for nit-picking even further, but a shoot-out in a non-conference game "decides" absolutely nothing. It's an exhibition for the fans, nothing else. The game is a tie.
          Personally, I wish the shootout in conference play would also go away, even though they tend to favor my beloved Beavs with the Great Zuzana in nets.
          I don't mind them now that they've got the points distribution "fixed." For the fans in the building, the shootout seems to add some excitement vs. leaving the building after a scoreless OT. It seems like most fans enjoy the shootout...I've come to enjoy watching them as an alternative to ending with the scoreless OT...when I wasn't at all enthusiastic about using shootouts originally. They may have been motivated by attempting to add interest possibly putting more people in the seats. Don't really think the shootout is going to accomplish that...but like I said, most fans in attendance seem entertained by them. They're sometimes a little less entertaining...depending on the outcome.
          Minnesota Hockey

Comment

I know there is great debate on the shoot out in College Hockey personally I think it is much better than watching Teams play for the tie. Hockey East quit using last year. Friday night after watching Zuzana Tomcikova, the BSU goalie and Genevieve Lacasse for PC play to scoreless the shoot out was even more exciting. Only chinch I saw all weekend in Tomcikova was the lateral movement you could see in shootout she is an outstanding goalie.

Providence had a great third period on Saturday vs BSU just not enough to dig out of the first two periods so 3-1 win to BSU. If they move with that intensity and generate puck movement to go with thier speed they will be fine.

Friars go back on the road week 2 to NY State to play at Clarkson Saturday and then St. Lawrence Sunday and then week 3 hosts Mercyhurst at home.

Comment

Originally posted by joehockey View Post
              Providence had a great third period on Saturday vs BSU just not enough to dig out of the first two periods so 3-1 win to BSU.
              In your opinion, were there a lot of quality scoring chances for either team on the weekend but the goalies were just too good, or was it a case of the team defenses shutting down the offenses for large stretches so that the goalies had it fairly easy? Just asking because all shots look about the same in a box score, so it is hard to get a feel for a game.
              "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
              And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

I think BSU did a great job most of the weekend packing the box/plugging up the middle. They limited PC, blocked shots and at times PC tried to do 1 on 2 or 3 defenders which does not usually work. I would say PC had maybe 10 great scoring chances in the 2 games and BSU maybe 8. It was early season so flow, puck movement and scoring chances should increase for both teams. The goaltenders were very strong on the scoring chances that did come.

Comment

Clarkson outshoots and outscores PC today 31-18 and a 3-0 final - on to St. Lawrence for Sunday!

Comment

I thought watching on line that PC played their best overall game of the season today in a 3-3 tie with St Lawrence. Lacasse came down ill so Nina Riley got the start in goal and did a great job.

Seniors Jensen and Bacon plus sophmore Buie netted the goals - all key players to carry team so great to see!

Comment

For all those that won't be in Burlington, there is supposed to be free live video!

"FREE LIVE VIDEO FOR 2011 HOME GAMES
                      The UVM athletic department has partnered with the UVM Alumni Association this season and is pleased to announce that through the partnership CatamounTV will webcast over 100 UVM home athletic events for free via UVMathletics.com during the 2011-12 academic year."

Comment

Great coverage of the games by Vermont - video was super crisp. Great win on Saturday for PC! Nice to see freshman in the box score this weekend. Big BC game next Friday!

Comment

Neat honor to PC Freshman - confidence is a magic thing for freshman - hopefully first of many goals and honors!

Women's Hockey forward Beth Hanrahan Named Pro Ambitions Hockey East Co-Rookie of the Week
                          Freshman scored twice in Saturday's win at Vermont.

Oct. 24, 2011

PROVIDENCE, R.I. - Providence College women's ice hockey player Beth Hanrahan (Poolesville, Md.) has been named Hockey East Pro Ambition's Co-Rookie of the Week. It is the Friars' first weekly award this season.

Hanrahan was instrumental in Providence's 4-3 victory at conference rival Vermont Saturday, scoring two goals. Ten minutes into the opening period, the winger converted a feed from classmate Haley Frade (Marion, Mass.) for the game's first goal.

She struck again with the contest tied, 3-3, and 29 seconds remaining in regulation. Sophomore Corinne Buie (Edina, Minn.) won an offensive zone face-off back to the freshman, who then buried a rising, wrist shot over the goaltender's shoulder for the game winner.

Hanrahan and the Friars' will be back in action Friday night, October 29 when they host #6 Boston College. Face-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. and tickets are available by calling the PC ticket office at (401) 865 GO PC or by visiting Friars.com.

- Go Friars -

Comment

Great effort Friday night at home versus BC even though it was 3-1 loss (open net at the end). The BC goalie Boyles played very well as PC outshot BC 38-31. Friars had good jump and puck movement best overall effort I have watched this year after going up 1-0 just didn't get a break three times the puck was in front of open net but couldn't convert rebounds.

Comment

So hard to tell from only last night (and from on line feed - thanks PC for the coverage it was great!) but the 9-3 win over Yale looked like a Team that was playing loose.

There was much better puck movement especailly in the 1st and 3rd and some very pretty passes to set up goals. Great to see lots names on the score sheet and a great team effort.

Nice to see Nina Riley log her first win and Hayley Drake her first save/action. Hopefully the well deserved night off and rest was good for Lacasse.

Would love to see last night's play on Saturday and Sunday versus Maine - should be fun!

Comment

Working...
                              X