2011-2012 UNH Wildcats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011-2012 UNH Wildcats

Under 9 hours until the 'Cats hit the ice for an exhibition against a usually tough New Brunswick.

What are our expectations for UNH this season? It seems like the predictions (top 3 in Hockey East and top 15 nationally) are where we are every year. Is this optimistic, too harsh or right on?

Any idea if todays exhibition will be broadcast on the internet?

Re: 2011-2012 UNH Wildcats

Today's game v. New Brunswick is listed on the online stream site, looks like you'll have to pay for access though.

http://unhwildcats.tv/

Comment

4PM start caught a few people by surprise, people who had made plans for the afternoon. But perhaps there will be a spillover from the football game which should be over by 3PM. Does UNH allow after game tailgating. If so, people will have an enjoyable transition from football to hockey.

As for the team, I think they'll be pretty strong defensively from DiGi on out. Offensive, to me it is trying to figure out which forward is going to have the breakout year. Two years ago it was Butler, last year Thompson. I honestly don't know who the best candidate is but I'll take a stab with Henrion. He's got a good shot, mixed it up a little last year, so if he is on the first or second line and gets some steady PP time, he could put up some numbers.

Comment

As has been the case in recent years I am trying to figure out where the offensive punch will come from. Moses is this obvious individual candidate to put it all together followed by Henrion for goal sniping. Hopefully we get to enjoy the surprises of how this team comes together.

Comment

Well this fan saw a lot of positives this afternoon even if NB is a weak team. A few random thoughts, opinions and observations:

- first line looks like they can pick up where they left off
          - silengo should play well with speels and Henry.
          - freshmen looked decent in limited ice. It'd be nice if umile rolled out a freshman line most nights. Camper was faster than I imagined he would be. Thrush looks like he has a lot of potential. Willows seems quick but still adjusting to the speed. Downing had some bright spots - he seemed pretty confident with the puck.

Would of liked for a backup goalie to get some ice.

Comment

Originally posted by Saetia22 View Post
            Would of liked for a backup goalie to get some ice.
            As would I. We all know Digi is a solid goalie, have someone else get a little playing time under their belt.

Very excited for the upcoming season!
            UNH

"Any idiot can spell a word the same way time after time. But it call for imagination and is much more distinguished to be able to spell it several different ways as I do." -Patton

Comment

BU's loss in exhibition tonight... Good news or bad news for next Saturday night? Thoughts?

Comment

UNH Handily Defeats New Brunswick 3-0
                The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Surprised there hasn't been much talk about this game, even though it's only an exhibition...

Here are my completely irrelevant observations, comments, and player grades (which are more relative to each player and their own abilities/potential rather than comparing them to each other):

2. Hardowa: Typical Hardowa game...not going to notice him much, which is a good thing. Reminds me of Jamie Fritsch. B

3. Block: Was decent on faceoffs...an area UNH needs to be better in this season. Still not convinced he's a top 6 forward offensively. C+

4. Kipp: His penalty 7 seconds into the game (a pretty marginal call I thought) turned out to be a spark. Would like to see his physical presence a little more consistently. Got beat to the front of the net a few times. C+

5. Knodel: Scary, scary first period. Got caught flatfooted in transition a few times and let guys get behind him for quick outlets. Used his reach to make a nice recovery on one and was bailed out by DiGi on the other. Has a pretty big shot from the point, but was not able to get it on target. Footspeed probably an issue. D+

6. van Riemsdyk: Didn't see much of the offensive upside today, but for his first time out that's something I'm okay with. Didn't see him make too many big mistakes in his own end and he had a few nice plays in transition. B-

9. Willows: Rough debut for him. Definitely quick with speed to burn, but was not playing with any confidence with the puck on his stick. Lots of throwaways and turnovers. Tried to hit everything that moved...which for a skilled scorer is usually a sign that he's pressing to make a contribution knowing that he's lacking confidence in the rest of his game. D

10. Speelman: Picked up a couple helpers but was not a huge factor overall I didn't think. A few bad turnovers and at times tried to beat 1 too many guys in the offensive zone. He needs to be better next weekend. C

11. Pavelski: He is what he is, and was effective in that role. Skated hard but you're not going to get much offensive upside. C+

12. Agosta: I see where the footspeed issues were called into question last season, but this kid was my biggest surprise of the day. Showed a very good stick in the defensive zone breaking up a few shots and passes, and made some nice outlets in transition. Was very good at the offensive blueline and on the PP. Nice ability to take something off his shot and get it through traffic or into a spot where one of his guys could get a stick on it. A-

14. Borisenok: Thought he was so-so. Mishandled a few pucks but was good on PK and had a nice pass to spring Moses. Still not convinced he's the guy I want centering my top line from an offensive standpoint, but regardless he'll be a key piece this year. C+

15. Kostolansky: He's got to be the go to guy on the back end this season with Kessel gone...not necessarily in terms of carrying the load offensively, but just as the leader in general... but he didn't seem to really assert himself that way tonight. Fortunately he didn't stand out for any negative reasons either. A quietly solid game but he's capable of being a top defenseman in the league, so more should be expected. C

16. Henrion: I applaud him for his ability to grasp the facemask a facemaskless player. C

17. Camper: Didnt spend much time on the puck, but had a really nice release on his one opportunity in the first period. Has decent size and speed. A little more upside than I expected given what I had read here and in other places. C+

18. Silengo: Thought he played pretty well. Was excellent on draws and carried the puck well in open ice. Big improvement from where he was this time last season. B

19. Thrush: Considering he wasn't supposed to even be here, I thought he played very well. Quick, good size, handled the puck in traffic a few times...pretty good offensive upside. B

21. Sorkin: Looked like he took a nice step from last season and was playing with more confidence. A good candidate to step up as a secondary scorer with ~20 points this season. B+

22. Moses: Best UNH player by far. Nearly scored a highlight reel between the legs goal. Created chances nearly every time he touched the puck and probably could have had 5 goals. Still lacking finish around the net...needs to bury his chances this season for UNH to keep pace offensively. A-

23. McCarey: Kind of like Pavelski you know what you're going to get. As long as he brings his lunch pail he's a good 4th liner, but not much else. C

26. Burke: Finally looked healthy and was playing with confidence. One of UNH's best players tonight along with Moses and Goumas. Carried the puck well, played physical, was good down low in the offensive zone. If he and Sorkin play this well all season UNH may get the secondary scoring they need. A

27. Goumas: Looked really good with Moses and created a ton of chances. Should have finished a couple of chances, but looked dangerous overall. Would like to see him and Moses have a more naturally gifted offensive player between them. B+

28. Downing: Tough when you're rolling 5 lines but the few times he was on the puck he showed great instincts and generated a couple offensive chances. Showed good hockey sense and used his body well to create space several times. Was hoping he'd get some PP time...seems like a very cerebral player...definitely the real deal as he was advertised to be. Will be very disappointed if he spends most of the year on a line with McCarey and Pavelski because he has the offensive skill level to help make Goumas/Moses or Burke/Sorkin more dangerous. B+

30. DiGirolamo: Made some big saves when called upon, but UNB also squandered some pretty good chances with shots off target. He get's some credit for that because he was rarely if ever out of position. Needs to be very good this season and he was tonight. A

Comment

was UNB a chippy/dirty team?
                    Curse of the Timmy

Comment

Originally posted by Gusforhobey View Post
                      nothing out of the ordinary

Comment

Originally posted by Gusforhobey View Post
                        UNB's entire roster are veterans of semiprofessional (Canadian Major Junior) and, in a few cases, professional hockey (AHL, ECHL). As such, physical intimidation in the form of full-speed body checks and in-your-face verbal threats are as integral to their game as skating and passing. The risk of injury resulting from higher frequency and intensity "clean" hits is a concern.
                        Last edited by C-H-C; 10-03-2011, 09:06 AM. Reason: spelling
                        The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
                          UNB's entire roster are veterans of semiprofessional (Canadian Major Junior) and, in a few cases, professional hockey (AHL, EJHL). As such, physical intimidation in the form of full-speed body checks and in-your-face verbal threats are as integral to their game as skating and passing. The risk of injury resulting from higher frequency and intensity "clean" hits is a concern.
                          Actually that's the AHL and the ECHL. There was one guy who was born about six weeks after my daughter who graduated from college in 2007, and he was listed as a freshman! I'd have to say that the average age differential between the two teams was about three years. Let's face it, most of these guys are grizzled vets who flamed out in juniors and are now taking advantage of the college eligibility rules that they have in Canada. More power to them if they stick it out and get a degree.

This leads me to wonder about how College Hockey, Inc. attacks this issue. As most of you know, College Hockey, Inc.'s task is to convince Canadian kids (and American kids) that that the US college option is the better way to pursue not only your athletic career, but your academic career as well. Most of the guys on the UNB roster were at least 21 if not more. Assuming that the average age of a non-hockey student at UNB is in line with American colleges, how many of these guys who fail to go beyond major juniors really take their clubs up on the offer to go back to school. I'd have to think that, when your life long dream was to make it in the NHL, to all of a sudden go back to school has to be a daunting task. I wonder what the graduation rate is for these guys.

Comment

So you guys played a team of overaged goons from Canada the other night?

That will bode well for your games vs. Merrimack this season.

Good luck this year BTW.
                            Originally posted by reBlur
                            the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie
                              WIrinkrat - bustin on 5 in an exhibition? bush league.
                              Bush league? No I spoke honestly about what I observed and ended up "bustin" on a handful of players. I didn't know we were only allowed to do that in regular season games. If anything I figure a player on the bubble would be showing up bigtime in an exhibition game to try and show the coaching staff they were worthy of a regular lineup spot, so I wouldn't think the fact that it was only an exhibition should matter.

I do apologize if I hurt your son's feelings, or those of his mother, grandparents, etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X