Northeastern Huskies 2011-2012 Season Thread: Year of the Mad Dog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Northeastern Huskies 2011-2012 Season Thread: Year of the Mad Dog

Scrimmage Sunday, personally I was getting sick of watching the patriots try to play that defense thing anyway. I'll be at the scrimmage, hope to see a gelled team unlike our team early last year where we looked HORRENDOUS. Also hope the freshman look talented. Any thoughts? I hope we don't play much of players like Quailer who we are relying on to contribute heavily this year, don't want a season ending injury this year please.
    Arenas Attended
    Matthews Arena
    Agganis Arena
    Tsongas Arena
    Lawler Arena
    Schneider Arena
    Mullins Center
    TD Banknorth Garden
    Conte Forum
    Whittemore Center
    Gutterson Fieldhouse
    Alfond Arena
    Compton Family Ice Arena

Re: Northeastern Huskies 2011-2012 Season Thread: Year of the Mad Dog

So who do we lose for the year on Sunday?

Comment

Originally posted by NJ2NU View Post
      So who do we lose for the year on Sunday?
      .. let's just say Gaudreau & then he decides a sudden transfer.. (g'luck to him)
      Go Huskies
      GO NU HOCKEY
      Always bullish on the future.
      We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by NUMcNeely View Post
        Scrimmage Sunday, personally I was getting sick of watching the patriots try to play that defense thing anyway. I'll be at the scrimmage, hope to see a gelled team unlike our team early last year where we looked HORRENDOUS. Also hope the freshman look talented. Any thoughts? I hope we don't play much of players like Quailer who we are relying on to contribute heavily this year, don't want a season ending injury this year please.
        In his interview on WRBB, Qualier called the new coaching staff " a breath of fresh air" and further commented that they didn't have to play like "robots" anymore and had more freedom to be creative. He also said that he was playing on a line with Ferriero and "the new Swedish kid" as he put it. That raises two more questions. Is Karlsson that good that he can blend in with the other two? Second, with two left wingers and Cody playing together, who is going to be the center on that line?

Comment

You've gotta think that Quailer'll be the center there, no?

Comment

Interesting, Karlsson might bring some positives, far as 'creative playmaking' ..we'll see if that translates into HE/ Div1 success. He likes to pass the puck as well (going by his USHL record).. so who knows, might be him or Quailer. These things are in flux beginning of the season anyway. Its one thing what they see in practices.. a whole different ballgame once the games begin. Team has had to weather a lot this offseason.. let's just play hockey & have some fun!
            GO NU HOCKEY
            We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

I was under the impression that Quailer was a rightwinger. Maybe Karlsson is a hidden gem, or maybe they're being creative with lines for the exhibition game. Madigan has said he wants to play the team as is to get his feet wet, so I'm guessing we'll see more or less the lineup, with one or two changes (I'm guessing he plays all the freshmen forwards to let someone prove themselves.

Comment

I've talked to a few of the players and they echo what Quailer apparently said on WRBB (didn't listen to the interview). Also, keep your eye on Karlsson. Seriously. And keep your eye on Dongara this year also.
                Last edited by SkinsFan09; 09-30-2011, 08:19 AM.
                Northeastern Huskies

Beanpot Champions: 2018, 2019
                Hockey East Champions: 2016, 2019

Comment

Originally posted by GoNU5 View Post
                  I was under the impression that Quailer was a rightwinger. Maybe Karlsson is a hidden gem, or maybe they're being creative with lines for the exhibition game..
                  Quailer is a left winger who has played some RW since coming to NU. Karlsson is a left shot who played a lot of RW on a very strong Green Bay Gamblers team for the past three years. My guess is that Cody would be the center.

Comment

Will Rawlings start every gm or will there be rotation early in the season? Would be great if Coach let both goalies compete each wknd.
                    GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

I thought I read some where Karlsson was a good corners and along the board type of guy. That in itself would make sense to stick him with Cody, something surprisingly he was not that good at last year, but maybe can get better at, and with Quailer. Let him dig out the pucks and let the other two float around looking for their shot.

Towards the end of last year kinda looked like Quailer and Cody had something clicking between the two of them. Though they played together at the beginning of last season too (something i had asked for along with Verrmesch, an all skill line) and it flopped big time. Perhaps Cody was not as ready in October as he was in February.

Not sure what to make of Quailer's comments about playing like a "robot". (a knock on Cronin, a guy that had great things to say about him for a long time?) Playing that way did not seem to stop MacLeod and McNeely from putting up points over their 4 years here. Or maybe those two were just the exception to the rule and were also held back and played like robots? Quailer, time to put up or shut up. I am in the put up camp, but if Dongara ends up with more points then you again this year, maybe its time to look in the mirror.
                      DogHouse Graduate 2001

Comment

Step 1: Don't lose anyone to injury to yet another Canadian team.
                        Northeastern Huskies

Beanpot Champions: 2018, 2019
                        Hockey East Champions: 2016, 2019

Comment

I read this earlier and sort of dismissed it, but maybe this source has something:

http://infieldchattersports.com/2011...eason-preview/

I doubt that the Quailer line is the 5th line (although maybe they're going to be kept under wraps for the exhibition), but that line at least looks likely.

As for the robot comment, I think it had more to do with Cronin emphasizing a very rigid defensive game a lot of the time. He didn't open up the game a lot (though he started to this past year), and I think an offensive guy like Quailer may have been frustrated by that.
                          Last edited by GoNU5; 09-30-2011, 01:07 PM.

Comment

I'd rather the team play like robots and win games/make NCAA tourney etc... than play loosey goosey do whatever you want out there like the Crowder managed teams. Looking forward to Sunday, any chance we can get someone to sing the Canadian anthem partially in French? Yeah, I know, St. Francis is in Nova Scotia, however, French is the other official language of Canada and the anthem should be performed in both languages.
                            Dog House Class of 2003

"Puh Pah Playoffs!...You talk about playoffs?... You kiddin' me? Playoffs?"

55-622-73-35-418, I'm on FIRE!

Comment

Originally posted by GoNU5 View Post
                              I read this earlier and sort of dismissed it, but maybe this source has something:

http://infieldchattersports.com/2011...eason-preview/

I doubt that the Quailer line is the 5th line (although maybe they're going to be kept under wraps for the exhibition), but that line at least looks likely.

As for the robot comment, I think it had more to do with Cronin emphasizing a very rigid defensive game a lot of the time. He didn't open up the game a lot (though he started to this past year), and I think an offensive guy like Quailer may have been frustrated by that.
                              That blog post was off. Vermmesch lacks size? Yeah 6'0. He is a midget out there. And Madigan is going to be in for a surprise if he puts Dongara-McLaughlin-Vroylk out there together. It was attempted last year and it stunk. They are to small to get the puck from any team that wants to play on the boards. Plus Dongara i think lines up as a 3rd or 4th line center.

Maybe that is just a lineup for an exhibition game, but its out there.
                              DogHouse Graduate 2001

Comment

Working...
                              X