Biggest Collapse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biggest Collapse

Thanks to the RedSox and Braves collapse last night what is the biggest collapse/choke/upset you've seen in DIII hockey?

In no order

2001 NCAA Championship game
    #1 Undefeated and host RIT VS Plattsburgh
    RIT had just beat Plattsburgh 8-2 a few weeks prior. One of the best DIII teams to lace them up, and the get rocked 6-2 on their home ice.

2000 regular season
    RIT goes into the 3rd period up 4-1 only to see Plattsburgh score 4 straight including Derrick Shaws shorthanded game winner with 6 minutes left.

I still think winning a conference regular season title 5 years out if 7 and only walking away with 1 post season conference title is a bit of a collapse as well.
    Remy Babineaux
    remyb616@gmail.com
    D3FHL Web Page

Re: Biggest Collapse

March 15, 2003. Norwich down to Trinity 4-1 at the end of 2, outshoots them 20-8 in the third to win 5-4, and go on to National title.
    Not sure of date on this one (and not willing to go research it :-() but prime-link championship (prior to 1999), down to Plattsburgh going into 3rd period, held them without a shot for entire period to win.
    Go 'Wick!

Comment

Originally posted by jerrynu26 View Post
      March 15, 2003. Norwich down to Trinity 4-1 at the end of 2, outshoots them 20-8 in the third to win 5-4, and go on to National title.
      Not sure of date on this one (and not willing to go research it :-() but prime-link championship (prior to 1999), down to Plattsburgh going into 3rd period, held them without a shot for entire period to win.
      http://www.uscho.com/box/mens-hockey/1998/11/27/plattsburgh-vs-norwich/
      Remy Babineaux
      remyb616@gmail.com
      D3FHL Web Page

Comment

RIT leading Elmira 6-3 with five minutes to go in the final game ever in the historic rivalry at Ritter Arena.

Elmira scores three goals in last 4:27 left, including TWO shorthanded goals with the final one coming with 41 seconds left to tie the game at 6.

Elmira wins 2:41 into overtime. By far the best D-III hockey memory of my life after all the times we walked out the Ritter with a loss to finally be able to savor the last game and have it come as sweet as that.

http://www.collegehockeystats.net/04...s/melmrit1.f12
        The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
        "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
        GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
        GO LAKERS!!!
        GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
        "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
        Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
          RIT leading Elmira 6-3 with five minutes to go in the final game ever in the historic rivalry at Ritter Arena.

Elmira scores three goals in last 4:27 left, including TWO shorthanded goals with the final one coming with 41 seconds left to tie the game at 6.

Elmira wins 2:41 into overtime. By far the best D-III hockey memory of my life after all the times we walked out the Ritter with a loss to finally be able to savor the last game and have it come as sweet as that.

Craig MacDonald always had a knack for scoring huge goals. His game tying short-handed goal against Oswego to tie the game at the MAC that year was one of the best goals I've ever seen in person. I can still remember him taking the puck away from an Oswego forward, skating past the other Oswego players without difficulty and beating Leonhardt.

Comment

Originally posted by collegehcky2 View Post
            Craig MacDonald always had a knack for scoring huge goals. His game tying short-handed goal against Oswego to tie the game at the MAC that year was one of the best goals I've ever seen in person. I can still remember him taking the puck away from an Oswego forward, skating past the other Oswego players without difficulty and beating Leonhardt.
            Jason Cassels had a knack for scoring against RIT too. He and Eddie Cassie I remember as always being two of the guys that always seemed to shine bright against the Tigers.
            The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
            "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
            GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
            GO LAKERS!!!
            GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
            "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
            Oswego State '09

Comment

http://collegehockeystats.net/0304/boxes/mneurit1.f13

2003-04 - Neumann up 5-1 halfway through second on RIT, only to have RIT score 10 goals and win 11-5. I am not posting saying that Neumann should have won that game, just a funny collapse.

Comment

This could have been the springboard.....http://www.uscho.com/box/mens-hockey...an-vs-neumann/

Comment

Plattsburgh beating Oswego 5-4 in the SUNY championship game when Oswego was up 3-1 in the second. Plattsburgh then scored the next 3 out of 4 goals including one short-handed.

http://www.uscho.com/box/mens-hockey...s-plattsburgh/

The very next game #1 Plattsburgh who was 24-1-2 lets in 5 goals on 27 shots and blows a third period lead to lose in overtime toNeumann (who to be fair won the tournament that year, but it was Plattsburghs to lose)

http://www.uscho.com/box/mens-hockey...s-plattsburgh/
                  Plattsburgh '11 Go Cards.
                  National Champions 1992, 2001
                  21 SUNYAC Championships

Norwich University
                  National Champions 2000, 2003, 2010

University of Vermont
                  Future National Champions 201?

Comment

Thanks to the RedSox and Braves collapse last night what is the biggest collapse/choke/upset you've seen in DIII hockey?
                    There seems to be no place I can go with out seeing Red Sox collapse. Since my first word as a child was Red Sox (If I was smart it should have been trust fund) this thread is not my first choice but the one thing that is good about this is that more people are now posting which means hockey is near. I also live in Atlanta so between the Red Sox and Braves this has been a tough few days. Thanks Remy for keeping these memories alive for the next few days.

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post

This was the best for me. I also remember Oswego in the, I believe, 1981 or '82 ECAC-West championship, leading Plattsburgh 6-2 in the 3rd period at Romney, only to have Plattsburgh storm back to win, 7-6 in OT. Also, RIT in the NCAA semi-final in 1986 blowing a 4-3 lead to Bemidji St., giving up the tying goal with :04 left and losing in OT. Also, I remember the Wisconsin-Superior miracle comeback in the NCAA final in 2002.

Comment

The biggest collapse/choke/upset I've seen in D-III hockey?

Plattsburgh's NCAA Division III Quarterfinal loss to Neumann in 2009.
                        Plattsburgh State Cardinals
                        1992 & 2001 NCAA Division III Ice Hockey Champions
                        21 SUNYAC Championships

Comment

Didn't Oswego collapse against Potsdam in the 2000 SUNYAC semis or something like that?
                          Twitter: DanMountSports
                          2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Originally posted by MountieBoyOz View Post
                            Didn't Oswego collapse against Potsdam in the 2000 SUNYAC semis or something like that?
                            http://www.collegehockeystats.net/99...s/moswpot1.f26

February 26, 2000, Game 2 of the SUNYAC Semifinals at Potsdam.

After losing Game 1, 3-2, Potsdam has to win the second game to force the mini-game. However, Oswego leads late in the third, 7-5. The see-saw game was tied 5-5 after two, but Oswego scores twice in the third, with the two-goal lead gained at the 15:59 mark.

Desparate, Potsdam immediately pulls their goalie at this point, and Erick Curtis scores with 3:21 left in the game. Potsdam pulls their goalie again, and Curtis scores again, unassisted, with 1:14 left in the game.

A tie is not good enough, so Potsdam pulls their goalie yet again. Sean Trygestad gives the Bears the 8-7 lead with 13 seconds left to win the game and force the mini-game.

With all the momentum on their side, Potsdam easily wins the mini-game, 2-0.
                            Russell Jaslow
                            [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                            U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by MountieBoyOz View Post
                              In some ways, I would also consider the following year to be an Oswego collapse as well also at the hands of Potsdam.

During the 2000-2001 regular season, Oswego wipes out Potsdam, 7-3 and 5-1.

Oswego hosts the semifinal round with a 17-7-1 overall record and 10-4 conference record, good for second place and a bye in the first round. Potsdam comes into the semifinals with a 17-6-3 overall mark and 8-3-3 in conference play. The Bears desposed of Cortland in the play-in round, 4-0 and 7-5.

Granted, Potsdam was a good team that year, but based on their head to head meetings, and Oswego hosting the semifinals, the Lakers were the favorites.

Potsdam wins the first game, 4-3, on a third period goal in a close game all the way.

Then, it all falls apart for Oswego in Game 2. Potsdam waxes the Lakers, outshooting them 41-19 en route to a 7-2 blowout, despite a scoreless first period.
                              Last edited by Russell Jaslow; 10-04-2011, 08:50 AM.
                              Russell Jaslow
                              [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                              U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Working...
                              X