No announcement yet.

Official 2011-2012 Minnesota State University, Mankato Maverick Hockey Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official 2011-2012 Minnesota State University, Mankato Maverick Hockey Thread

Well, it's time to forget last year's thread and move on to this year. We lose a lot defensively, but we have a pretty decent amount of young scoring returning.

Key Returning Forwards:
    SR. Michael Dorr (12-14-26) The highest point scorer returning to this year's Maverick squad.
    JR. Eriah Hayes (11-11-22) A big forward who really needs to step up and bury it this year if the Mavs want to be competitive.
    SO. Chase Grant (8-12-20) Here's a guy that's poised for a breakout here. He should see extensive power play time, and be on the top line.
    JR. Eli Zuck (5-13-18) Here's a guy who can move the puck and get it to a guy, such as Hayes, to bury it.

Key Returning Defenseman:
    JR. Tyler Elbrecht (1-7-8) Here's our best defensive player, and possibly one of the hardest working guys on the team;the reason he's a Captain.
    SR. Cameron Cooper (3-2-5) I think Cooper could become somewhat offensive as he no longer lives in the shadows of Davis and Youds.

Returning Goaltenders:
    JR. Phil Cook 10-13-4 3.01 GAA and a .903 SV % He will be huge if we are successful this year.
    SR. Austin Lee 4-5-2 2.59 GAA and a .911 SV % Will push Cook in practice for a job

Guy with the most to prove this year:
    Sr. Forward Justin Jokinen (9-8-17) A highly touted incoming recruit, with impressive size, vision, and scoring ability, a 2008 4th round (101st overall), draft choice of the Buffalo Sabres, Jokinen hasn't been very impressive. We've seen a few flashes of the hype surrounding the kid, but never any consistent play at that level. With 86 career games, and only 15 goals and 11 assists, this kid needs to redeem himself and have a big year for the Mavs.

Puck drops in 6 days!
    AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Re: Official 2011-2012 Minnesota State University, Mankato Maverick Hockey Thread

Great Article by Shaner showing why we were left behind in the dust...

When people like North Dakota athletic director Brian Faison say, “Ultimately, it’s the commitment to the highest level of competition in hockey that drives (the NCHC),” it would be easy to think that Minnesota State made its own bed over the last few years and that it would be in the “Super Conference,” too, if only it had done some things differently.
    http://mankatofreepress.com/sports/x...ave-MSU-behind
    AF 99

Comment

Re: Official 2011-2012 Minnesota State University, Mankato Maverick Hockey Thread

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
      Great Article by Shaner showing why we were left behind in the dust...

http://mankatofreepress.com/sports/x...ave-MSU-behind
      Great Article. Great Sports writer. I think he has hit this one correctly. It is a strong commitment to sports programs in general (mainly schools investing in hockey as a prime sport) that drives this league. It would be great to see the National expand and include MSU if they can also add a 9th team such as Notre Dame.

Comment

Originally posted by Map Man View Post
        Great Article. Great Sports writer. I think he has hit this one correctly. It is a strong commitment to sports programs in general (mainly schools investing in hockey as a prime sport) that drives this league. It would be great to see the National expand and include MSU if they can also add a 9th team such as Notre Dame.
        CC's AD has said they will stay at 8 unless ND joins, then and only then, will they go to 9.
        "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
        -Gallagher

R.I.P.
        Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
        Grandma ~ Jan 2004
        Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
        Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Mankato wouldn't be included if they went to 12.

Shane just made excuses for the program essentially saying we can't expect little Mankato to compete.
          My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

Well, albeit unofficially, the season kicks off tonight! Glad to have hockey season back! Go Mavs!
            AF 99

Comment

Well, albeit unofficially, the season kicks off tonight! Glad to have hockey season back! Go Mavs!
              UBC has a good goalie. The Gophers outshot them 44-10 last night but only won 3-0. That being said you'll probably fling 7 past him.
              the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by MavsFan View Post
                Mankato wouldn't be included if they went to 12.

Shane just made excuses for the program essentially saying we can't expect little Mankato to compete.
                Your personality that constantly complains about the university being broke should sit down for coffee with your personality that constantly complains about the university not putting enough effort(which = money) into the hockey program.
                Originally posted by dicaslover
                Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
                  Your personality that constantly complains about the university being broke should sit down for coffee with your personality that constantly complains about the university not putting enough effort(which = money) into the hockey program.
                  You are the one equating effort with money. I'm more wondering why a coach with an eleven year record like ours has is still behind the bench, and the answer that I see is that the university is simply non-committal about the program. I certainly could be wrong, but I've seen no evidence of concern.

In eleven years the Mavs have had home ice twice, converted that to a final five appearance once, and gotten to the NCAA tourney once. Note that half the teams in the league get home ice, half make it to the final five, and over 25% of the teams in the country make the NCAA. That is not a record that should ensure continued employment for the head coach in a D-I program.
                  My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

Can someone explain to me why MSU's colors are purple and gold and yet they use black and purple as their jerseys? Purple and gold > black and purple
                    tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                      UBC has a good goalie. The Gophers outshot them 44-10 last night but only won 3-0. That being said you'll probably fling 7 past him.
                      Gophers Talent >>>>>>>>>>>>> Mavericks Talent.

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                      Can someone explain to me why MSU's colors are purple and gold and yet they use black and purple as their jerseys? Purple and gold > black and purple
                      not a question we could answer..
                      AF 99

Comment

Shane had a good preview article in the Free Press today:
                        http://mankatofreepress.com/sports/x...cut-it-in-WCHA

Some good quotes:

“We weren’t happy with the way last year played out,” coach Troy Jutting said. “While we were close almost all the time, close doesn’t cut it.”
                        “I think that woke us up,” he said. “You realize that every day in practice, if you miss that one pass or you make a mistake, you’ve got to make sure you don’t make it again because it could be the reason that those two minutes happen in a game.”
                        “Seeing that stat last year was a punch in the stomach,” junior defenseman Tyler Elbrecht said last week, “especially when your season’s over. You see that and say, ‘Wow, that’s not a very long time.’
                        Also, a quote from Shane's blog in which he was watching the first official practice on Saturday...

"For a first practice it was very good," coach Troy Jutting said afterward. "The intensity was good. We've got some learning to do, but I thought, in terms of being prepared for practice, that it was very good."

When I showed up to the rink, workers were cleaning up a section of glass that had been shattered during the workout. Apparently, it occurred when defenseman Tyler Elbrecht checked forward J.P. Burkemper into the boards.
                        Last edited by MavHockey14; 10-03-2011, 06:18 PM.
                        AF 99

Comment

My thoughts on last night's game:

Zach Lehrke is gonna be a player. The kid looked like our best player out there last night, he was quick, made good decisions, scored a nice goal, and is fast.

Phil Cook looked very sharp all night, had good rebound control, and made every save. He only played 30 minutes, but he looked good in those thirty minutes.

I would've liked to see our power play more than once last night, but the one chance we got, we looked horrific because nobody wants to shoot the puck. Everyone waits, tries to make the perfect pass, etc. PUT THE PUCK ON NET! (Of course, a few seconds after the power play ended we had a beautiful one time happen down low and scored a goal, so whatever.

We looked very disciplined defensively, which surprised me, but we'll see more this weekend. Palmquist seemed like he is a kind of guy who gets in the rush, and isn't afraid to play down low in the offensive zone.

Watch for Max Gaede to be a good player. He has a ton of skill, and he's got a good frame at 6' 3" which will help him get some extra scoring opportunities using his body.

We did indeed throw the body around a lot as well, which is always good to see.

All in all, I don't really have anything in depth as it was fairly tough to get a good look at what this team's going to be like.
                          AF 99

Comment

not a question we could answer..
                            FAIL! :angry:
                            tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                              FAIL! :angry:
                              Everyone hates our jerseys...now that's why we're not in the NCHC!
                              AF 99

Comment

Working...
                              X