Wisconsin Badgers 2011-12 - The Drive for Five

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wisconsin Badgers 2011-12 - The Drive for Five

I know it's not the most original title, but it's no longer the offseason and the Badgers are indeed going for their fifth championship in 7 years.

Not sure the real value of bringing in Lindenwood for a couple of butt-kickings, but did give a lot of players ice-time with multiple players missing. Nice to see Nikki Kaasa get to play the third period in both games and perserve both shutouts.

Schedule gets real serious real quick so it might be nice getting this off-week prior to the North Dakota series.

Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2011-12 - The Drive for Five

I wondered if the Lindenwood situation was similar to the football situation with Temple a few years back.

IIRC, Temple was about to join a conference and that conference had a commitment to play Wisconsin. As part of the agreement for Temple to join, they had to take the Wisconsin game on their schedule. Of course Wisconsin kicked their butt.

Since these were Lindenwood's first ever games in D1, it wouldn't surprise me if the situation was similar.

Just a hypothesis....
    It's a great day for hockey!

Comment

Actually, Wisconsin has a history of this with Syracuse too, if I recall correctly.

Comment

We were there Friday, I was disappointed with the crowd, considering it was free and the banner was unveiled. It was still a lot of fun watching UW hammer them in the 2nd and 3rd period. It was a great game to bring 5 folks to a women's game for the 1st or 2nd time. I was dying for Phil to roll out 2-4-6-8 we want more, but he didn't. I think he did do 9, we want more.
        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
          It was a great game to bring 5 folks to a women's game for the 1st or 2nd time.
          Bring them to a UMD or BU game. Victories are so much more meaningful when they have to be earned.
          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

It was still a lot of fun watching UW hammer them in the 2nd and 3rd period.
            Not exactly my definition of Fun. It is a mismatch, and would IMHO be boring to watch. While the newcomers may marvel at the skill of the winning team in such a scenario, I don't think it does much service for creating fans for the game. Give me a one goal or OT barnburner with two equally matched teams anytime over a blowout.

Comment

I also wished for a bigger crowd on Friday, but September is a tough time to get some people into watching hockey. I don't think that the men's team is even officially started practice yet.

I'm not sure either Wisconsin or Lindenwood figured it would be such a mismatch, especially since the Badgers were down 5 regulars. However, there aren't a ton of options when scheduling out-of-conference and the rest of the fall schedule is pretty tough.

Comment

All I know is they very much enjoyed themselves and so did I (a long time hockey fan), it was very memorable game for them and me. I screamed as loudly for the 1st goal as the 12th. Two of the young lads were at fill the bowl last year, obviously that was a great match-up in an ultra awesome atmosphere. I'll be there for a bunch more games this year, bringing whoever wants to come with me from lovely Juneau WI.

Comment

I plan on really trying to hype Fill the Bowl. It's January, so folks will be in the hockey mindset. It's a Saturday night, meaning it's travel-able for us from Milwaukee, and it might be the last one since they're moving to LaBahn next year. It's a great way to get non-believers into hockey and into the women's game. The atmosphere is great.

We buy a men's Saturday five pack and there isn't an overlap with the women for us until January. But when it comes around, we look forward to doing the hockey double-header.
                  It's a great day for hockey!

Comment

Originally posted by tristarscoop View Post
                    I plan on really trying to hype Fill the Bowl.
                    Fill the bowl was awesome last year. I ended up having 3 car loads of people from my little town of Juneau come last year. We ended up in the first row, 2nd tier, center ice. I just worry Kato won't draw as well as the rodentettes.

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
                      Not exactly my definition of Fun. It is a mismatch, and would IMHO be boring to watch. While the newcomers may marvel at the skill of the winning team in such a scenario, I don't think it does much service for creating fans for the game. Give me a one goal or OT barnburner with two equally matched teams anytime over a blowout.
                      Thats exactly why I didnt go to the game. It would have been cool to be there for the banner raising though. I went to a couple UW womens' games last season and it was fun to watch the Badgers kick some serious butt but after 6 or 7 unanswered goals it gets kind of boring.
                      Im definetly planning on going to one of the games with Minnesota or NoDak though.
                      A Badger living in Buckeye country.
                      Originally posted by MadCityRich
                      He blossomed after he left the U, and they still named a city in Minnesota after him?
                      Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
                      Sieve, Minnesota? Never heard of it.
                      Originally posted by Timothy A
                      I know my distain of anything and everything related to IL or MN is totally insane, but that's me; you can't change the genetics.
                      "The state of North Dakota may not exist. It's like South Dakota's Canadian girlfriend." -- Stephen Colbert

Comment

IMHO, a good throttling is fun to watch. If UW would have only won 5-3 against Lindenwood Friday, I would have went home disappointed. I'm not there to watch a competitive game, I'm there to watch my team clean the floor with the other team. All of us are wired differently, that's what makes life fun.

LET'S GO RED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

IMHO, a good throttling is fun to watch. If UW would have only won 5-3 against Lindenwood Friday, I would have went home disappointed. I'm not there to watch a competitive game, I'm there to watch my team clean the floor with the other team. All of us are wired differently, that's what makes life fun.

Couldn't agree more. I mean, the close games are fun too, don't get me wrong, but it's great to be able to relax and enjoy a good thrashing. I like that we have the power, and I like that we use it.
                          "This world is your world. Take it easy, but take it." - Woody Guthrie

Comment

IMHO, a good throttling is fun to watch. ..... I'm there to watch my team clean the floor with the other team. All of us are wired differently, that's what makes life fun.
                            Originally posted by Carter View Post
                            Couldn't agree more. I mean, the close games are fun too, don't get me wrong, but it's great to be able to relax and enjoy a good thrashing. I like that we have the power, and I like that we use it.
                            Originally posted by GoBucky36 View Post
                            I wont argue with you there. The Badgers should destroy a team like Lindenwood.
                            Strongly disagree. What ever happened to respect for the game and respect for the opponent. I have no problem with you cheering for your team and enjoy a win, but jeez treat others with some respect. I certainly have little respect for people who make comments like the two Err make that three of you made.
                            Last edited by OnMAA; 10-05-2011, 07:25 PM. Reason: Added third Humiliator

Comment

I wont argue with you there. The Badgers should destroy a team like Lindenwood.
                              A Badger living in Buckeye country.
                              Originally posted by MadCityRich
                              He blossomed after he left the U, and they still named a city in Minnesota after him?
                              Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
                              Sieve, Minnesota? Never heard of it.
                              Originally posted by Timothy A
                              I know my distain of anything and everything related to IL or MN is totally insane, but that's me; you can't change the genetics.
                              "The state of North Dakota may not exist. It's like South Dakota's Canadian girlfriend." -- Stephen Colbert

Comment

Working...
                              X