This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colgate 2011-12

Do we continue where we left off at the end of last season ? Once the goalie situation was taken care of we were a different team. Most of the team back, so many one goal losses last year, two promising frosh in Wilson and Lidgett, (our 17 yr old ) I see a real possibility here. Go Raiders ! Start your engines !
    It all starts with the goaltending.

Re: Colgate 2011-12

All riiiiight -- new thread. Thanks, Shabby!
    Last edited by Gotter; 09-27-2011, 10:29 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Thanks for starting the thread, Shabby. Just 4 more days until the players are back in action!

I'll try to sum up my thoughts about the upcoming season in another post, but for now,
      http://www.clipsyndicate.com/video/p...deos&wpid=9616

It's footage from our upset victory over Union back in March.
      Colgate '09

Comment

TYVM Rainman...Great memory...We played so well at Union and RPI !!!! Keep it goin !!

Comment

RPI blog Without a Peer post about Colgate http://www.withoutapeer.com/2011/09/...y-colgate.html.

Besides for being a reader, I have no connection to WaP.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
            RPI blog Without a Peer post about Colgate http://www.withoutapeer.com/2011/09/...y-colgate.html.

Besides for being a reader, I have no connection to WaP.
            Then why are you promoting this? Where is the credibility?
            Like a turkey at Thanksgiving, I'm stuffed

Comment

Originally posted by hockeymascot View Post
              Dash. Underscore. Dash.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeymascot View Post
                I think that it may be of interest, just like posters post links to all types of material on the net.

The reason that I wrote that I have no connection to WaP is because people assumed a year ago that I do. I can assure you that I am not Tom Reale who wrote that article. He does post here by the way, as are his two cobloggers.
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                  I think that it may be of interest, just like posters post links to all types of material on the net.

The reason that I wrote that I have no connection to WaP is because people assumed a year ago that I do. I can assure you that I am not Tom Reale who wrote that article. He does post here by the way, as are his two cobloggers.
                  Thanks Ralph....appreciate it.
                  Like a turkey at Thanksgiving, I'm stuffed

Comment

Ughhh ... 10th in both polls? Do they know we return 12 forwards, 6 defensemen, and 3 goalies??? The analysis at Without a Peer (RPI blog) is much more realistic, at least from my point of view. On the other hand, we've not no pressure!

Anyways, as promised, here's my personal outlook on the upcoming season:

FORWARDS
                    Okay, here's the bad news. We lost Brian Day and Francois Brisebois to graduation. They were two of our top scorers. While we bring in two highly regarded forwards in Joe Wilson and John Lidgett, we won't know how they'll contribute to the team until they get on the ice. But we return 12 forwards (enough to roll out 4 lines in a game) that have seen ample playing time. The key players here are Austin Smith, Nick Prockow, Austin Mayer, Matt Firman, Kurtis Bartliff, Robbie Bourdon, and Chris Wagner. These seven individuals have contributed in some way throughout their time at Colgate. If the right line pairings can be produced we can roll out at least two, maybe three forward lines that can put the puck in the net. Team jell will be a factor here.

DEFENSE
                    We only lost one player to graduation (Wade Poplawski, who in fact, scored the game-winning goal at Union to send the team to Atlantic City), so we should have an advantage at this position. Returning are Kevin McNamara, Corbin McPherson, Jeremy Price, Thomas Larkin, Nathan Sinz, and Mike Leidl. That's 6 blueliners that are either juniors or seniors, enough to create three defensive pairings for a game. Incoming players include Spiro Goulakos and Brendan Corcoran. Both are 1990-born. Only question is, will Corcoran play forward or defense? Chris Heisenberg listed him as a defenseman, but the Colgate roster lists him as a forward. Time will tell but we should be solid at this end of the rink, provided that we can avoid mental lapses that result in the puck being in the back of our own net.

GOALTENDING
                    This position is a bit of a question mark for me. We return three goaltenders (Alex Evin, Bryan Bessette, and Eric Mihalik) that have seen ample playing time. Evin and Bessette are both seniors, but Mihalik won the starting job and played very well throughout the playoffs. There's a possibility that a goaltending platoon could occur based on what happens in practices, but in my mind Mihalik will ultimately win the starting position. Who knows -- maybe he'll steal a game (or many) for us.

OUTLOOK
                    This team has 21 players that went through a difficult regular season, losing many games by a single goal. Then they did a 180 -- going 8-4-1 in a six week span that landed them in Atlantic City. Perhaps this was a result of team jell, and/or a result of making less mistakes. I'm certain these players will learn from last year's difficulties and build on last year's postseason success. The schedule is very rigid from the start -- two games in Nebraska then Miami Ohio comes into Starr Rink for a pair of games. This can provide valuable experience and maybe even a springboard to success in the league schedule. Time will tell. I'll just be very disappointed if we have another stretch that's similar to last year. But it's not how you start, it's how you finish. We won't be world-beaters, but realistically I think we can finish (at minimum) in the middle of the standings.
                    Colgate '09

Comment

Very nice Rainman and Thank you Ralph, love reading any input from objective points of view. As usual I tend to be a just a little biased. Always at this time I'm very optimistic, easy to be at 0-0.

Michalik is our starter, The 8-4-1 record you mentioned was after we got "rid" of the platooning goalie system and Mich became #1. He was phenominal for us and the boys played with a new found confidence at the end. Pre-Michalik our dmen were so afraid to make mistakes as we were losing so many one goal games.(Was it 10) We have a proven tender this year, no excuses there !

Comment

To clear up any confusion, Brendan Corcoran's a defenseman.

Comment

Hi guys, best of luck on the season. I am a Merrimack fan and was thinking about making the trip out to see us play at your place. When I looked on the website the seating chart looked like it was half missing. I was wondering how large the arena was and if it is difficult to get tickets to the game.
                          Rinks Visited
                          DCU Center
                          Tulley Forum
                          TD Garden
                          Tsongas Arena
                          J. Thom Lawler Arena
                          Conte Forum
                          Whittemore Center
                          Agganis Arena
                          Verizon Center
                          Gutterson Fieldhouse
                          Matthews Arena
                          Thompson Arena
                          Mullins Center
                          Alfond Arena
                          Schneider Arena
                          Magness Arena
                          Ingallas Arena
                          Hart Center
                          Prudential Center
                          TD Bank Sports Center
                          John A Ryan
                          Lynah Rink
                          Appleton Arena
                          Cheel Arena
                          Germain Arena
                          XL Center
                          Class of 1965 Arena

Comment

Originally posted by MCgrad07 View Post
                            Hi guys, best of luck on the season. I am a Merrimack fan and was thinking about making the trip out to see us play at your place. When I looked on the website the seating chart looked like it was half missing. I was wondering how large the arena was and if it is difficult to get tickets to the game.
                            The seating chart is half missing, as are the seats - it is what it is You shouldn't have any trouble getting in the rink buying tickets at the door for most games, but it's always good to call the Athletic Ticket Office ahead. The Cornell game and perhaps the Silver Puck weekend games are the ones that will attract the most fans IMHO.

Thanks for getting this started Shabby. Hope 10th place is low-balling it.
                            COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

Where you guys seeing tenth place, even though it doesn't surprise me !

Comment

Working...
                              X