PDA

View Full Version : Official 2011-2012 Miami Season Thread: Short People Leave Big Shoes to Fill

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

redhawkman10
10-06-2011, 03:51 PM
I've heard from goalies that it is hard for them to locate the puck as quickly in some arenas. It's no different than basketball players preferring a barn with a favorable "shooters eye" or a baseball slugger liking a certain stadium for the backdrop behind the pitcher.

consider the source...their goalies...half of what they say is looney anyways lol.

MUhawks628
10-06-2011, 03:52 PM
consider the source...their goalies...half of what they say is looney anyways lol.

Goalies are people too! I think...:p

fangers
10-06-2011, 05:46 PM

lol...says the referee...

mcfarljd
10-06-2011, 08:50 PM
Leafs open up with a 2-0 win. Hopefully our boys can keep up the good hockey weekend for me. :D

MUhawks628
10-06-2011, 09:01 PM
Leafs open up with a 2-0 win. Hopefully our boys can keep up the good hockey weekend for me. :D

Heard Frat Boy was playing on the top line tonight, how'd he do?

mcfarljd
10-06-2011, 09:09 PM
Heard Frat Boy was playing on the top line tonight, how'd he do?

A few hits. Nothing noticeable offensively. Dont think he's learned to carry the puck yet. A nice 50 flipshot to dump one though. I'd rather see Kadri.

redhawk95
10-07-2011, 09:02 AM
My first few steps of hockey fandom were taken in a tiny lttle rink that had closer resemblane to a cave than an actual college sporting venue. The fogies on here will recognize me describing The Goggin. I think everyone recognized that the special quality of fans, environment, and experience had to be transferred from the old venue to the new one. Part of that was allowiing college kids to be college kids. Be raucous. Be rowdy. Limiting them is killing the atmosphere.

Ive been back a few times as an alumnus and am ashamed. The kids have no interest in the game. They are don't have good participation in chants or cheers. If you're afraid the atmosphere WILL die, you're too late.

It IS dying. Hockey is not for the faint of heart. It needs grittiness, on the ice and in the stands. I'm not calling for total vulgarity, but you need a little edge. Crap, have you heard the crap yelled at NHl games?! If you want something prim and proper, go watch your grandma's knitting circle....or, better yet, soccer.

I do not believe you've ever been to a game at the new rink.

redhawk95
10-07-2011, 09:05 AM
completely disagree. The atmosphere at games are far better now than they ever were in the old goggin. The reason there wasn't much attention paid at the old goggin was because 90% of those in attendance were students and the program frankly wasn't that strong. Times have changed, I agree the student section needs to be involved and make a difference and give a home ice advantage. But like you said the vulgarity has run its course and does not need to be there. You have to have intelligance to get into Miami, so the student section needs to become creative and come up with something new. Like I mentioned the sexually explicit chants are just out of line now a days when you have parents bringing young children to these games. You need those families in attendance because those kids build your fan base over years. If you alienate them and turn them away ultimately it can affect the growth of your fan base.

No one is telling the students to sit on their hands, but change your approach. I think every can agree students have crossed the line recently and ultimately have forced the university to act. They don't want to get involved, but image drives everything and when your image starts to change action needs to be taken.

I wouldn't say outright that it's "far better than the old Goggin." When I was a student in the early 90s, the games against Lake St and Michigan featured some of the best atmospheres in college hockey. Shulmistra on the air guitar during time outs was classic. The students crammed against the glass on all sides...that place was awesome. That said, I'm so grateful for the new place, but I wouldn't discount the atmosphere post-1990 at "Good Ol' Goggin."

redhawk95
10-07-2011, 09:06 AM
This is only soft of related to RHM's comments. But I heard the OSU coach Mark Osiecki say on the radio that Miami and BU are the toughest places to play in the country. I know for a fact that Goggin isn't the most hostile environment in college hockey but there must be some truth for him to claim that.

God save the balcony (in Goggin that is)!

redhawk95
10-07-2011, 09:08 AM
Ice quality, the way the puck bounces off the boards, and also depth perception based on the dimensions of the arena. OSU is used to playing at Value City Arena which dwarfs Goggin

The worst place for vulgarity, by far, in the CCHA is Lawson Ice Arena in Kalamazoo, Michigan. There are very few, if any, boundaries. Yost is such a dump, yet it's so cool, yet it's such a dump and the students there have been told to reign it in.

MiamiRedhawks2008
10-07-2011, 09:15 AM
I do not believe you've ever been to a game at the new rink.

Why would you say that? I was in the "New Goggin" from 2006-2008. the point i was making is that the administration shouldn't be so limiting on the kids. The fans should be loud and raucous (though not disrespectful). Have a few edgy cheers is not going to give Miami a bad name, especially when comparing to other hockey schools.

MUhawks628
10-07-2011, 09:17 AM
The worst place for vulgarity, by far, in the CCHA is Lawson Ice Arena in Kalamazoo, Michigan. There are very few, if any, boundaries. Yost is such a dump, yet it's so cool, yet it's such a dump and the students there have been told to reign it in.

Knowing the people I do from my high school who went to Western, that does not suprise me about Lawson. Still hoping to make it out to Yost this year for the first time.

Gameday!! :)

MiamiRedhawks2008
10-07-2011, 09:17 AM
It's Game Day, SON!!!!

considering leaving work early for some shopping prior to game time. Cannot frackin' wait!

MUnRPI
10-07-2011, 09:18 AM
The worst place for vulgarity, by far, in the CCHA is Lawson Ice Arena is Kalamazoo, Michigan. There are very few, if any, boundaries. Yost is such a dump, yet it's so cool, yet it's such a dump and the students there have been told to reign it in.

haha. At the Joe last year the Western fans were beyond crazy. I've never been to Yost but that is definitely on my list of venues to visit.

MUnRPI
10-07-2011, 09:19 AM
Score predictions / realistic expectations for the freshmen?

MiamiRedhawks2008
10-07-2011, 09:21 AM
This is one reason I was hoping it would be a HE trip for Miami in a few years...would make it easier for me to get to some rival arenas. it'll be a little/lot tougher to get out to CO and ND from Washington,DC.

MUhawks628
10-07-2011, 09:23 AM
haha. At the Joe last year the Western fans were beyond crazy. I've never been to Yost but that is definitely on my list of venues to visit.

I thought they were entertaining until they wouldn't shut up during the Mason Cup presntation/awards. I know it's all part of the game, but just not a fan of that, not something I would have done if Miami had lost.

Ahhhhh. First gameday away from Oxford, counting down the minutes until I can sprint out of work and hit to road.

MiamiRedhawks2008
10-07-2011, 09:26 AM

Friday: 3-3 (both teams a little tight in opening night)
Saturday: 4-1 Miami (crack down on D and little looser on attack; this could get rough towards the end)

Freshmen:
weekend (2-4 points combined) - 2 goals

I think that if you get any freshman from 15-20 points in the rookie frame, it's a very successful season. We could get 2 of those (especially considering how we liketo get our Dmen involved). Maybe we see the start of the new Andy Green?

MUhawks628
10-07-2011, 09:27 AM

Sort of close game tonight while the freshmen get their feet under them, then take care of business tomorrow. Our D and Cody/Connor should be stingy this weekend. Read is gone, and I believe there are pretty much all question marks on the offensive side for the Beavers.

I'm going to say Coleman nets the first goal for the freshmen class, and Biggs tallies a couple assists on the weekend.

I have a feeling Tomassioni is going to have a big weekend, but I reneged on him and took tHirsch in roulette on mht, hope I don't regret that one. :)

MUnRPI
10-07-2011, 09:30 AM
It's only 22 hours from DC to Grand Forks.

Rinks on the east coast have a different atmosphere. RPI games were like stepping into a time machine lol