Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Official 2011-2012 Miami Season Thread: Short People Leave Big Shoes to Fill

Originally posted by RedhawkBandMan View Post
    I doubt you'll find a copy of the SS online anywhere. However, I have a 1950's recording of the original (Glee Club + Marching Band) as well as the Miami March Song, Alma Mater, and A Hymn of Miami University, all from that 1950's record "Songs of Miami University." Of course I also have a modern recording of the band playing Fight Song+Scalp Song+William Tell Cheer.

1950's recordings
    Scalp Song
    Miami March Song
    Old Miami
    A Hymn of Miami University

Fight+Scalp+William Tell Pregame Intro

Enjoy!

P.S. You can just click the links to listen in your web browser or right-click and "Save Link as..." to save the audio file to your computer.

Good but they need more tubas

Comment

Re: Official 2011-2012 Miami Season Thread: Short People Leave Big Shoes to Fill

Originally posted by redeagle View Post
      Good but they need more tubas
      There's NEVER enough tuba!
      Love and honor to Miami forever and a day. Go RedHawks!

Comment

One... more... day...

Also, front page bump.

Comment

Originally posted by fellowes View Post
          One... more... day...

Also, front page bump.
          I can't take much more of this football team, hockey, please!

Comment

Well another year and more expectations. Seems like 4 years ago all over again. However the main difference is this years team has experience on the back end instead of up front. Not much to not like about where this team can go, but think it will be a struggle in the opening stages to find consistant scoring. Look for this team to be much better in the second half than the first but we all should know the drill by now lol.
            Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

Miami defeats Windsor 4-1. Apparently lots of penalties on both sides and some late "cheap shots" by Windsor, according to @MiamiIceHockey's tweets, which served as my GameTracker since the real one wasn't working (surprise, surprise...).

I hope the boys are ready to harvest some Bemidji Beaver pelts this coming weekend. I'll be able to catch the Friday game but have tickets to a concert on Saturday night (purchased before I realized it would conflict with hockey). I look forward to getting a glimpse of the new kids in action before I make the trek up to Colgate the following week... I can't wait!

In other news, NCHC stops its pursuit of Notre Dame.

Comment

Miami defeats Windsor 4-1. Apparently lots of penalties on both sides and some late "cheap shots" by Windsor, according to @MiamiIceHockey's tweets, which served as my GameTracker since the real one wasn't working (surprise, surprise...).[/URL].
                Some additional notes: The shot count was 52-13. (I think that was pretty generous for both teams) Windsor's only goal came on a powerplay where Cody was heavily screened. Reichard and Knapp split time and neither saw much action. There were lots of penalties and I didn't see any "cheap shots" although it was very scrappy all game.

I thought the freshman played great! Austin Czarnik started at center and the whole team definitely feeds off his energy. Interested to hear other peoples' thoughts or questions on the game

Comment

Overall, I thought the team looked pretty good this afternoon.

Some random notes:

-Does anybody know why Smith was a scratch for this game?

-Biggs certainly lives up to his reputation, that kid likes to smash things.

-I thought Mullin was the most impressive freshman, he was working really hard all over the ice, the way he carries himself in the offensive zone almost reminded me of Miele.

-Coleman and Czarnik also looked good, but a few times I thought Czarnik could have worked a bit harder on the penalty kill.

-The brothers Wideman certainly looked like they had good chemistry on the power play.

Comment

Originally posted by fellowes View Post
                    Overall, I thought the team looked pretty good this afternoon.

Some random notes:

-Does anybody know why Smith was a scratch for this game?

-Biggs certainly lives up to his reputation, that kid likes to smash things.

-I thought Mullin was the most impressive freshman, he was working really hard all over the ice, the way he carries himself in the offensive zone almost reminded me of Miele.

-Coleman and Czarnik also looked good, but a few times I thought Czarnik could have worked a bit harder on the penalty kill.

-The brothers Wideman certainly looked like they had good chemistry on the power play.
                    Mullin looked very comfortable out there and it seemed like he was always able to win possession of the puck. However, I think that Coleman and Alex Wideman were the most surprising freshmen. They were able to carry the puck into the zone (like miele) and slash into space to keep possession. Although we seem physical enough to play dump and chase, we have much more success carrying the puck across the blue line and setting up the offense from there.

Comment

Smith didn't play the first couple games last year either for violating team rules. Let's hope it was something similar and he is not actually injured.

Comment

Almost forgot to mention:

-No band

-No jump around

What the ****?

Comment

Yeah I can't say I saw any cheap shots either, just a chippy game, and per usual we were doing our fair amount of instigating (Wideman the Elder) and finishing (Biggs).

-Tyler is an 18 year old in a man's body. He'll need to cut down on the post-whistle activities, but like MUnRPI said, he sure likes to smash things. That move he tried to pull in the 1st period was straight out of NHL 12, place would have gone crazy if he pulled it off. He also had a great poke check on the PK to spring himself a breakaway, but wasn't able to settle down the puck to get off a good shot, he is for sure going to be fun to watch!

-It did seem like Biggs was being short shifted a bit, I know he was injured last week some that could have been a factor in limiting his shift length or he just isn't in game shape yet.

-We have speed! Little Wideman and Mullin were flying out there - were extremely shifty in the zone, and quick to the puck.

-Coleman definitely has a shoot first mentality, something this team has lacked at times. Of course, the one time he passed up a shot was on that 2-on-1 with Biggs were he needed to be selfish, but he was gaining the zone with ease and looked very physical below the net.

-Czarnik had some trouble keeping the puck in the zone on the PP and had a few head-scratching passes along the blue line, but otherwise I thought he looked very good.

-Most surprising frosh for me was Cody Murphy. It might have just been lack of expectations, but I thought he looked very comfortable out there as well, and had a bullet ring off the cross bar in the 2nd.

-Very little work for Cody or Connor.

-No band/jump around was disappointing, but I guess they are just saving the whole shebang for Friday night.

Welcome back rhm!

Comment

Originally posted by MUnRPI View Post
                            Smith didn't play the first couple games last year either for violating team rules. Let's hope it was something similar and he is not actually injured.
                            You're the only student on this board, suposed to have the inside track on these things, step your game up!

Let's hope he will be back in short order. The freshmen looked good, for freshmen, whether or not this team is going to be able to score out of the gate on the big boys is still a complete unknown. Going to be leaning on Reilly in the early going.

Also, unless I just missed it, there were no "A"s out there today, guess we are just rolling with two "C"s.

Edit: Just saw 95's post on mht. Sigh Reilly, sigh.
                            Last edited by MUhawks628; 10-02-2011, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MUhawks628 View Post
                              -No band/jump around was disappointing, but I guess they are just saving the whole shebang for Friday night.
                              Apparently they want to put more emphasis on MAC volleyball games this year... they cut the band from the exhibition hockey game and any home non-conference basketball games so that they can get a band at all home conference volleyball games. Ridiculous, IMO.

With Jump Around, I'm sure they're just saving it up. With all those penalties, though, what did they play for the penalty song? Whatever it ends up being, I sure hope they have the band playing it instead of pumping it out over the speakers, even if it ends up being some cliche clip that every other school plays.

Originally posted by MUhawks628 View Post
                              Edit: Just saw 95's post on mht. Sigh Reilly, sigh.
                              Seriously... Hopefully it's something relatively minor, but even so, it would be nice if he stayed out of trouble (or whatever he did) and actually saw the ice during the season opener!

Comment

With Jump Around, I'm sure they're just saving it up. With all those penalties, though, what did they play for the penalty song? Whatever it ends up being, I sure hope they have the band playing it instead of pumping it out over the speakers, even if it ends up being some cliche clip that every other school plays.
                                They played something different every time, and hit on all the cliches that were mentioned on facebook and then some. I would say on average it took the guy running the music 30 seconds to get a song queued up after a penalty so it would only play for 10 seconds before play resumed, it was a mess.

The whooping and slam/cya'ing still doesn't seem to be going anywhere, despite the death glare from Hodge when he was in the student section during a penalty.

Comment

Working...
                                X