Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Official 2011-2012 Miami Season Thread: Short People Leave Big Shoes to Fill

Sarcasm actually........but thanks for getting it

Comment

• Re: Official 2011-2012 Miami Season Thread: Short People Leave Big Shoes to Fill

Originally posted by fellowes View Post
      2-6.

Is this season over yet?
      Step away from the ledge, sir. Were you WATCHING that game? If the team hadn't dug a deep hole in the 1st period and a half, we win that game. I'm not sure what happened, whether it was the goalie change, seeing that 4-0 up on the scoreboard, or finally finding some good line combinations, but the team that was playing at the end of the game was NOT the same team that started it. They were aggressive (in a good way) and determined. They kept the puck in the offensive zone and created multiple legitimate scoring chances every time. They barely let LSSU get over the blue line in the defensive end, much less near the Miami goal. Not to mention fewer penalties, 5/5 on the PK (including the 5 minute major), and 2 SHGs! The 5th LSSU goal only happened because they were forced to take some risks in the final minutes in the hope of tying the game, and frankly, I think Cody should have stopped that one (from what I could see on the grainy All-Access feed).

I'm actually excited after that game. Yes, it's a loss and right now we are looking at the most dismal record many of us have ever seen. But if they can capture whatever it was that got them clicking and play 60 minutes like they played the last 30 of that game, we are going to quickly get this season going in the right direction.
      Love and honor to Miami forever and a day. Go RedHawks!

Comment

Originally posted by RedhawkBandMan View Post
        Step away from the ledge, sir. Were you WATCHING that game? If the team hadn't dug a deep hole in the 1st period and a half, we win that game. I'm not sure what happened, whether it was the goalie change, seeing that 4-0 up on the scoreboard, or finally finding some good line combinations, but the team that was playing at the end of the game was NOT the same team that started it. They were aggressive (in a good way) and determined. They kept the puck in the offensive zone and created multiple legitimate scoring chances every time. They barely let LSSU get over the blue line in the defensive end, much less near the Miami goal. Not to mention fewer penalties, 5/5 on the PK (including the 5 minute major), and 2 SHGs! The 5th LSSU goal only happened because they were forced to take some risks in the final minutes in the hope of tying the game, and frankly, I think Cody should have stopped that one (from what I could see on the grainy All-Access feed).

I'm actually excited after that game. Yes, it's a loss and right now we are looking at the most dismal record many of us have ever seen. But if they can capture whatever it was that got them clicking and play 60 minutes like they played the last 30 of that game, we are going to quickly get this season going in the right direction.
        I thought we made it clear that my comments directly after games can't be held against me?

Obviously the second half of the game was much more encouraging, we just need to play like that before we let in 4 goals.

Comment

Not that I expected Miami to have this bad a start, but I never quite understood how they were ranked so high in the preseason polls after all the key losses they had, especially at the forward position. Sure they have nice recruits, but that's a very small piece of the puzzle. Same thing with Nodak, hard to lose something like 7 of your 8 top scorers and still be an offensive force. Seems like BC was the only team that was actually able to reload vs rebuild after big losses.

Comment

Originally posted by MeridianStreet View Post
            Soo Tech? Relax pal, you're showing your age. I don't usually post on other team's pages but your arrogance and sense of entitlement got the best of me....Soo Tech?? That's pre 1966. Take it easy. After next season you and Rico will be in your elite league where you won't have to dirty your hands playing the dregs of college hockey.....Ferris and Lake State........gee, where did those 12 points go? At least things will be easier when you get to play Notre Dame, Michigan, and Western Michigan.
            I go to Miami for grad school now (always a wildcat tho). Believe me, I share much of your sentiments buddy. And anyways, coming from such a well-bred institution of hyer lurnin, Northern fans have a right to be arrogant Hard to not give respect to Lake State with 3 NCAA titles, Miami is still working on number 1.
            NMU '10

Comment

Originally posted by carltonbarrett View Post
              Not that I expected Miami to have this bad a start, but I never quite understood how they were ranked so high in the preseason polls after all the key losses they had, especially at the forward position. Sure they have nice recruits, but that's a very small piece of the puzzle. Same thing with Nodak, hard to lose something like 7 of your 8 top scorers and still be an offensive force. Seems like BC was the only team that was actually able to reload vs rebuild after big losses.
              Several of us have said the same thing.

I like RHBM's optimisim, but this is pretty discouraging to me, especially on the heels of all the conference crap. Sigh. Nice to see Biggs and Coleman get their first, but Miami is finding ways to lose every night they play. You can't start two periods the way MU did and expect to win. Yes they had the edge in play for big chunks of the game, but Lake went into the shell a little with the big lead. Also, Miami is not getting the timely big saves at all from the goalies. It's not their stats (which are not good), but the lack of a save to keep from getting the hole too big, to keep the momentum going, or to give the team a chance down the stretch or in ot. They are just never there. And then there is the pp. That is hard to watch. Couple of nice road games by Lake for sure. Maybe getting into some different times zones will help.

Maybe it is the Curse of the National.

Comment

It's early. Still time to turn it around.

Like RedEagle said, we NEED better goaltending out of our four-year starters. They are allowing far too many weak goals and to his point, not coming up with the NEEDED saves such as when Miami was pressing on Friday at 4-3, and a simple shot, glove high, beats Cody on the partial break.

Gotta have that one as hard as the gang was battling.
                http://blogofbrotherhood.com

Comment

Originally posted by redeagle View Post
                  Maybe it is the Curse of the National.
                  Bingo! Nothing like putting an even bigger target on your back by leaving fellow conference members behind, all the while your new league talking about wanting to form with other "like minded schools" and other quotes that reeked of elitism.

Comment

Originally posted by fangers View Post
                    Bingo! Nothing like putting an even bigger target on your back by leaving fellow conference members behind, all the while your new league talking about wanting to form with other "like minded schools" and other quotes that reeked of elitism.
                    Maybe this is for a different thread and time, but.... As fangers knows, I am not exactly happy with the way the conference thing and UAH played out for a lot of reasons, but elitism to some is pragmatism and $ to others. Were the Big Ten schools elitist when they refused to even consider a super conference with a BT division? Was the AHA elitist when UAH was left out when that shuffle happened (or vice versa)? I wanted BG, Western, ND and Miami in the inevitable new league, as did some others. Are we elitist because that still leaves out Ferris, Lake, NMU? As part of the CCHA, were Ferris, BG, Lake, NMU etc. elitist or pragmatic when UAH was not offered a spot (remember the "it's a long bus ride" argument)? Maybe all the answers are "yes." Maybe self-interest is disguised as elitism, I don't know, but I agree this has not been pretty and some will have targets, at least for while. I am sure the same is true among college coaches and administrators, and not just in hockey. Having said all that, the fact is that, say, Western, Miami, probably Notre Dame, pay their coaches anywhere from almost twice as much to a lot more than twice as much and, in general, have better facilities, then, say, Ferris, Lake, NMU, and BG. I don't know if that is "like-mindedness" or "like-commitment," but at this time there is a difference. I don't know about coaches salaries of the other NCHC schools, but their facilities are also among the best in college hockey and I suspect the coaches salaries are similar. Maybe that will change in the future, we'll see, but right now those differences in commitment are real. And don't forget, a year or two ago, Miami was not looking to go anywhere. For me, this is a sad time in college sports. It's all that elitist Pegula's fault.

Now we can get abck to worrying about the pp, the goaltending, and time zones.

Comment

Hello their Redhawks. I was cleaning out my SD card on my camera and came across a little video you guys might be interested in. I know its months after the fact but just something I thought that you might want to watch

TJ TJ Tynan....KING OF THE WILD FRONTIER

Comment

Just because it hasn't been said in ahwile - I blame Hodge, bring back the chief song. Have a nice week

Comment

And don't forget, a year or two ago, Miami was not looking to go anywhere.
                          Something I wish the "YEAH WEZ STICKING IT TO DEM" crowd on here would remember from time to time, as if they would have acted any differently when DU/UND called with a way off the sinking ship, oh well.

Personally, I'm glad we have finally fallen out of the polls, for whatever reason the conciliatory platitudes about Miami being bigger, faster, stronger, better, higher rated team ect. bother me to no end, this team is not good yet. Period.

I'm 50/50 on RHBM's take. Yes we looked very, very dominant for much of the 3rd, but our D was pushed so far up that entire period, it was amazing that it took LSSU as long as it did to burn us with a breakaway.

I hope something did click for them, it would seem the PK turned a bit of a corner so that is a huge positive. I haven't seen the replay yet, but to quote my friend after Coleman's goal "....da f*k?!", looked pretty sick from where we were seated, more of that next week please .
                          Last edited by MUhawks628; 10-31-2011, 11:43 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by MUhawks628 View Post
                            Just because it hasn't been said in ahwile - I blame Hodge, bring back the chief song. Have a nice week
                            I leave for a week and come back to now the National Chief Curse. I'm a sad panda

Comment

Originally posted by MUhawks628 View Post
                              Something I wish the "YEAH WEZ STICKING IT TO DEM" crowd on here would remember from time to time, as if they would have acted any differently when DU/UND called with a way off the sinking ship, oh well.
                              Ugh, this.

Guess we should have seen it coming after this sh*tstorm of a summer. Hopefully the anti-NCHC chest beating will get old after a while, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Comment

Maybe this is for a different thread and time, but.... As fangers knows, I am not exactly happy with the way the conference thing and UAH played out for a lot of reasons, but elitism to some is pragmatism and $ to others. Were the Big Ten schools elitist when they refused to even consider a super conference with a BT division? Was the AHA elitist when UAH was left out when that shuffle happened (or vice versa)? I wanted BG, Western, ND and Miami in the inevitable new league, as did some others. Are we elitist because that still leaves out Ferris, Lake, NMU? As part of the CCHA, were Ferris, BG, Lake, NMU etc. elitist or pragmatic when UAH was not offered a spot (remember the "it's a long bus ride" argument)? Maybe all the answers are "yes." Maybe self-interest is disguised as elitism, I don't know, but I agree this has not been pretty and some will have targets, at least for while. I am sure the same is true among college coaches and administrators, and not just in hockey. Having said all that, the fact is that, say, Western, Miami, probably Notre Dame, pay their coaches anywhere from almost twice as much to a lot more than twice as much and, in general, have better facilities, then, say, Ferris, Lake, NMU, and BG. I don't know if that is "like-mindedness" or "like-commitment," but at this time there is a difference. I don't know about coaches salaries of the other NCHC schools, but their facilities are also among the best in college hockey and I suspect the coaches salaries are similar. Maybe that will change in the future, we'll see, but right now those differences in commitment are real. And don't forget, a year or two ago, Miami was not looking to go anywhere. For me, this is a sad time in college sports. It's all that elitist Pegula's fault.

Now we can get abck to worrying about the pp, the goaltending, and time zones.
                                Always good to see redeagle break things down in simple terms. We talk about these things often. but for everyone else geesh....

I know why fangers is upset, but to blame others because UAH decided to cut their program is flat out wrong. IMO. All of this movement is actaully better for college hockey. Narrow minded people across the country, not you fangers, can't see it now but the "new" WCHA is the BEST situation for all of those schools. You are putting D II athletic departments, outside of BG, all in the same conference with simlar school sizes, simlar budgets, and similar desires. Now instead of competing against schools with much larger budgets in their conferences they have a chance to make it to the national tournament every year where lets be honest those chances were few and far between in their old conferences over the last decade or two. Its no body's fault that UAH is where it is, but it was on an island by itself. College hockey is going to expand and maybe UAH was a casualty of that but there are other schools looking to add D I hockey very soon i.e. Buffalo, Indiana, Minn-cookston. This re alignment needed to happen and now that we got it out of the way the foundation for the future is set for college hockey and it will grow.

As for all of the bashing of this team, not surprised by it. Bandwagoon jumpers are showing their true color right now. Its really funny how short term memory loss runs rampid in this program. Guess people forget how bad this team was just 4 years ago with all the freshmen before they got better every day and put it together in february and made it to the national champhionship game. Seriously people is freaking october, calm down. Its obvious this team isn't playing well, but you have to be ignorant to not understand this team has talent. It takes time to get a unit to play together. The have only really had 4 weeks of practice, there is no "pre-season" in college hockey so its a constant trial by error. If by january they are still looking this bad then we can panic but holy cow the negativity in 3 weeks and complete 180 turn is just disgusting!
                                Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

Working...
                                X