Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Official 2011-2012 Miami Season Thread: Short People Leave Big Shoes to Fill

Originally posted by MUnRPI View Post
    Ice quality, the way the puck bounces off the boards, and also depth perception based on the dimensions of the arena. OSU is used to playing at Value City Arena which dwarfs Goggin
    Well in OSU's case, any level of fan noise should be foreign enough to throw them off their game, arena properties aside

Comment

• Re: Official 2011-2012 Miami Season Thread: Short People Leave Big Shoes to Fill

Originally posted by fangers View Post
      IMHO, the things being done at the rink are just a byproduct of a larger image cleanup underway, required due to the recent rash of sorority/fraternity troubles and alcohol related deaths/issues (many underaged) that have been in the news. I really think the student behavior at the hockey games in and of itself wouldn't be causing this - but then again I've not been to as many games recently. Just hope it doesn't turn into what you see at UC basketball games, with all the old, rich alum taking up the good seats, hands politely folded in their laps.
      very well said, my point exactly. Hockey just happens to be the highest profile sport on campus so it trickles down to them as well.
      Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

I understand the university wanting to eliminate the inappropriate behavior. I just wish they could treat the students like adults in regard to the signage.

Do we even know that signs are banned? I think we are just basing this off of one post on RHT.
        I think thats a give and take though as well. I would be willing to guess that them monitoring the signs and having that out there was their way of putting it in the students hands and in their eyes the students didn't show that they could handle it so they may just ax it. To be treated like adults they have to act like adults, I could see more outrage over this if they just simply got rid of them two years ago without even going into the monitoring stage.
        Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

Ice quality, the way the puck bounces off the boards, and also depth perception based on the dimensions of the arena. OSU is used to playing at Value City Arena which dwarfs Goggin
          Distractions play a big part in it as well. Which is why a rowdy fan base is needed, within reason. Energy levels have a tendancy to fluctuate rapidly when your in a barn that is full and has an active fan base. Home teams feed off of that and visiting teams can sense that and tighten up a little. Depth perception in terms of the size of an arena shouldn't be that big of a factor. Rink dimensions are typically the same and in the pace of the game your immediate surrounding area is all you are really focused on. Which is why when teams go from NHL sized rinks to olympic rinks you see more of an issue. Although the bigger challenge is going from olympic to NHL since the space is cut dramatically.

Comment

Originally posted by redhawkman10 View Post
            Distractions play a big part in it as well. Which is why a rowdy fan base is needed, within reason. Energy levels have a tendancy to fluctuate rapidly when your in a barn that is full and has an active fan base. Home teams feed off of that and visiting teams can sense that and tighten up a little. Depth perception in terms of the size of an arena shouldn't be that big of a factor. Rink dimensions are typically the same and in the pace of the game your immediate surrounding area is all you are really focused on. Which is why when teams go from NHL sized rinks to olympic rinks you see more of an issue. Although the bigger challenge is going from olympic to NHL since the space is cut dramatically.
            I've heard from goalies that it is hard for them to locate the puck as quickly in some arenas. It's no different than basketball players preferring a barn with a favorable "shooters eye" or a baseball slugger liking a certain stadium for the backdrop behind the pitcher.

Comment

I've heard from goalies that it is hard for them to locate the puck as quickly in some arenas. It's no different than basketball players preferring a barn with a favorable "shooters eye" or a baseball slugger liking a certain stadium for the backdrop behind the pitcher.
              consider the source...their goalies...half of what they say is looney anyways lol.

Comment

consider the source...their goalies...half of what they say is looney anyways lol.
                Goalies are people too! I think...

Comment

lol...says the referee...

Comment

• Leafs open up with a 2-0 win. Hopefully our boys can keep up the good hockey weekend for me.

Comment

Originally posted by mcfarljd View Post
                      Leafs open up with a 2-0 win. Hopefully our boys can keep up the good hockey weekend for me.
                      Heard Frat Boy was playing on the top line tonight, how'd he do?

Comment

• Originally posted by MUhawks628 View Post
                        Heard Frat Boy was playing on the top line tonight, how'd he do?
                        A few hits. Nothing noticeable offensively. Dont think he's learned to carry the puck yet. A nice 50 flipshot to dump one though. I'd rather see Kadri.

Comment

Originally posted by MiamiRedhawks2008 View Post
                          My first few steps of hockey fandom were taken in a tiny lttle rink that had closer resemblane to a cave than an actual college sporting venue. The fogies on here will recognize me describing The Goggin. I think everyone recognized that the special quality of fans, environment, and experience had to be transferred from the old venue to the new one. Part of that was allowiing college kids to be college kids. Be raucous. Be rowdy. Limiting them is killing the atmosphere.

Ive been back a few times as an alumnus and am ashamed. The kids have no interest in the game. They are don't have good participation in chants or cheers. If you're afraid the atmosphere WILL die, you're too late.

It IS dying. Hockey is not for the faint of heart. It needs grittiness, on the ice and in the stands. I'm not calling for total vulgarity, but you need a little edge. Crap, have you heard the crap yelled at NHl games?! If you want something prim and proper, go watch your grandma's knitting circle....or, better yet, soccer.
                          I do not believe you've ever been to a game at the new rink.
                          http://blogofbrotherhood.com

Comment

completely disagree. The atmosphere at games are far better now than they ever were in the old goggin. The reason there wasn't much attention paid at the old goggin was because 90% of those in attendance were students and the program frankly wasn't that strong. Times have changed, I agree the student section needs to be involved and make a difference and give a home ice advantage. But like you said the vulgarity has run its course and does not need to be there. You have to have intelligance to get into Miami, so the student section needs to become creative and come up with something new. Like I mentioned the sexually explicit chants are just out of line now a days when you have parents bringing young children to these games. You need those families in attendance because those kids build your fan base over years. If you alienate them and turn them away ultimately it can affect the growth of your fan base.

No one is telling the students to sit on their hands, but change your approach. I think every can agree students have crossed the line recently and ultimately have forced the university to act. They don't want to get involved, but image drives everything and when your image starts to change action needs to be taken.
                            I wouldn't say outright that it's "far better than the old Goggin." When I was a student in the early 90s, the games against Lake St and Michigan featured some of the best atmospheres in college hockey. Shulmistra on the air guitar during time outs was classic. The students crammed against the glass on all sides...that place was awesome. That said, I'm so grateful for the new place, but I wouldn't discount the atmosphere post-1990 at "Good Ol' Goggin."

Comment

This is only soft of related to RHM's comments. But I heard the OSU coach Mark Osiecki say on the radio that Miami and BU are the toughest places to play in the country. I know for a fact that Goggin isn't the most hostile environment in college hockey but there must be some truth for him to claim that.
                              God save the balcony (in Goggin that is)!

Comment

The worst place for vulgarity, by far, in the CCHA is Lawson Ice Arena in Kalamazoo, Michigan. There are very few, if any, boundaries. Yost is such a dump, yet it's so cool, yet it's such a dump and the students there have been told to reign it in.
                                Last edited by redhawk95; 10-07-2011, 09:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X