Clear All

• Re: RPI Pick to Click - 2011-12

Friday:
    RPI-Rogic
    CC-Dineen
    Saturday
    RPI-Bergin
    CC-Marciano

I believe that the ineligible players should be based on actual points. Goalies should all remain eligible.
    JMO, but I don't believe that anyone should be ineligible until ECAC games start. Having five players ineligible because of so many ties at such low numbers is insignificant.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin
    The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
    Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
      FWIW, there has only been one goaltender in college hockey history (to the best of my knowledge) that has been credited with a goal (I believe it was an MTU goalie), and none have shot the puck into the opposite net. Obviously Allen York did get an assist his freshman year. Source is Wikipedia (so you know it's true ).
      I had to dig this up. On 12/28/1980 in RPI's Holiday Tourney at 17:08 of the third period, Maine goalie Jim Tortorella scored against Vasby, Sweden. The unique part was that Vasby's net was guarded. I think that it has happened several times when the goalie was pulled. I have the vague recollection that there has been another goalie who scored against a guarded net since then. I was standing near the west goal where Tortorella was shooting from, waiting to beat the rush to the snack bar between games.

I note that Vasby did score another goal at 19:14, but Maine still won 14-2.

Edit: the embarrassed goalie was Robert Nyquist.
      Last edited by Ralph Baer; 10-25-2011, 12:43 PM.
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
        I had to dig this up. On 12/28/1980 in RPI's Holiday Tourney at 17:08 of the third period, Maine goalie Jim Tortorella scored against Vasby, Sweden. The unique part was that Vasby's net was guarded. I think that it has happened several times when the goalie was pulled. I have the vague recollection that there has been another goalie who scored against a guarded net since then. I was standing near the west goal where Tortorella was shooting from, waiting to beat the rush to the snack bar between games.

I note that Vasby did score another goal at 19:14, but Maine still won 14-2.

Edit: the embarrassed goalie was Robert Nyquist.
        12-2
        Do you have a link to the game story / where did you reaffirm your memory? I'm curious and would also like to read it.
        Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
          12-2
          Do you have a link to the game story / where did you reaffirm your memory? I'm curious and would also like to read it.
          I have my game program. Tortorella is an assistant coach for UNH. The incident might have been reported in some stories about him.

You're correct 12-2. Oops.
          Last edited by Ralph Baer; 10-25-2011, 02:33 PM.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
            I have my game program. Tortorella is an assistant coach for UNH. The incident might have been reported in some stories about him.

You're correct 12-2. Oops.
            I didn't find anything in the articles announcing him as a Colby head coach or an assistant for UNH, but I did find some interesting stuff.

Screenshot of Sean's archived USCHO thread "On This Day in College Hockey" Of course, it's more than two years old, so it's dead and gone It also doesn't exist in the Internet Archive Wayback Machine (as far as I could tell), so it really doesn't exist. Also, it doesn't actually say that Tortorella scored a goal, but if you already knew that factoid, then, congratulations, you found proof!

MSU press release after Hobey Baker finalist Chad Alban scores on an empty net that mentions that Tortorella was the first NCAA goalie credited with a goal. (It also says that Alban was the first goalie to actually shoot the puck into the opponent's net.)

Trivia competition that mentions that Tortorella was the first NCAA goalie credited with a goal (Year 4, Week 23, 5-pt question)

On a completely unrelated note, I found a paper (PDF) that simulated the possible strategies of when to pull your goalie while trailing published by a statistics professor at Simon Fraser University and a professor at Université Laval. Like I said, completely unrelated, but it showed up while searching and was an interesting read.
            Go Red!!

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

I didn't find anything in the articles announcing him as a Colby head coach or an assistant for UNH, but I did find some interesting stuff.

Screenshot of Sean's archived USCHO thread "On This Day in College Hockey" Of course, it's more than two years old, so it's dead and gone It also doesn't exist in the Internet Archive Wayback Machine (as far as I could tell), so it really doesn't exist. Also, it doesn't actually say that Tortorella scored a goal, but if you already knew that factoid, then, congratulations, you found proof!

MSU press release after Hobey Baker finalist Chad Alban scores on an empty net that mentions that Tortorella was the first NCAA goalie credited with a goal. (It also says that Alban was the first goalie to actually shoot the puck into the opponent's net.)

Trivia competition that mentions that Tortorella was the first NCAA goalie credited with a goal (Year 4, Week 23, 5-pt question)

On a completely unrelated note, I found a paper (PDF) that simulated the possible strategies of when to pull your goalie while trailing published by a statistics professor at Simon Fraser University and a professor at Université Laval. Like I said, completely unrelated, but it showed up while searching and was an interesting read.
              Go to the Hockey_L archives http://lists.maine.edu/archives/hockey-l.html and search for Vasby (Tortorella might work too). You will find several messages from 1993 including from me.
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Friday
                New hotness AD - Haggerty
                Old busted AD - Winkler

Saturday
                Engineers -Schroeder
                If Tony the Tiger shows up, I'll hurt someone - Guentzel

Edit: In favor of real points being deciding factor.
                Proud founder of the First Church of RPI Hockey

Comment

Bumping this to the top so people post here instead of the weekend thread

Still missing picks from babo, cnor, ehf, fishcore, GRussinko, knsmith, mackek2, MavHockey, REDRocket, RHamilton, and RPIHFH.

ETA:
                  Originally posted by Rich View Post
                  Tutescrooge, Harstad didn't make the travel roster this week.
                  Last edited by burgie12; 10-27-2011, 09:47 AM.
                  Go Red!!

Comment

I WON AGAIN!!!!!!! SWEET!!
                    Maybe I will get a hat-trick.
                    Friday:
                    RPI: Bergin
                    Coors College: Rylan Schwartz
                    Saturday:
                    RPI: AAG
                    CC: Gabe Guentzel
                    Lets go RED!!
                    And BC!

Sucks to BU Clarkson

Houston Field House, Conte Forum, Agganis Arena, Thompson Arena, Alfond Arena, Lawler Arena, Whittemore Center, Schneider Arena, Appleton Arena, Tsongas Center, Ingalls Rink, Times Union Center, TD Garden, Scottrade Center, Fenway Park, Herb Brooks Arena, Verizon Wireless Arena, DCU Center, Richard H. Rockett Ice Arena, Matthews Arena

Strike out ALS

Comment

Link back to the title post with details on scoring

RPI welcomes Ken Ralph and the CC Tigers to the unfriendly confines of the HFH. Last week, CC was ranked #4 in the (meaningless) USCHO.com pole. They then failed to get a win this weekend. They couldn't even pull out a tie! For those that are sarcasm-challenged, they didn't play this weekend.

RPI went into South Bend, Indiana and failed to produce on their opportunity to put a damper on Notre Dame's parade. They come back to Troy bruised and broken and with a 1-4-0 record. This pair of games is a return trip for RPI opening last season in Colorado Springs.

You may not choose the following players for this game:
                      Rensselaer:
                      F - Joel Malchuk
                      D - Nick Bailen, Pat Koudys, or Guy Leboeuf

Colorado College:
                      F - Jaden Schwartz
                      D - Mike Boivin

Statistics / Rosters:
                      Rensselaer: Statistics | Roster
                      Colorado College: Statistics | Roster
                      Friday:
                      CC: Joe Howe
                      RPI: Brock Higgs

Saturday:
                      CC: Rylan Schwartz
                      RPI: Zach Schroeder (I really want to put Haggerty here, but I have to keep the faith the young buck can pump one in..)
                      AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
                        Friday:
                        CC: Joe Howe
                        RPI: Brock Higgs

Saturday:
                        CC: Rylan Schwartz
                        RPI: Zach Schroeder (I really want to put Haggerty here, but I have to keep the faith the young buck can pump one in..)
                        Higgs is out this weekend. (So is Laliberte and O'Grady is also likely out.)
                        Go Red!!

Comment

OK, I feel stoopid, wrong thread and all. I got confused by all the cross-posting of PtC and RPI/Providence. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.
                          So, as not only were my picks in the wrong place, but one of them didn't travel, the new and improved picks are:

Friday
                          RPI - Josh Rabbani
                          CC - Gabe Guentzel

Saturday
                          RPI - Patrick Cullen
                          CC - Rylan Schwartz

Comment

I'm about to head out to Troy. Still a number of posters who have not submitted picks yet.

Please do so.

Also, if you're submitting new picks, make sure to double-check them for ineligible players because I won't be able to for you.

Good luck! I'll see many of you tonight or tomorrow
                            Go Red!!

Comment

Friday:
                              RPI - Leonard
                              CC - Behrend

Saturday:
                              RPI - Neal
                              CC - Harstad
                              RPI Class of 2012
                              Visit rpitv.org to watch almost every RPI Hockey home game LIVE, as well as a huge collection of on demand games from this season and seasons past, all for FREE!

Comment

Friday:
                                RPI - Bergin
                                CC - R. Schwartz

Saturday:
                                RPI - Neal
                                CC - Guentzel
                                Originally posted by moe24
                                Thread over... REDRocket wins!!!

Comment

Working...