Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alaska Nanooks, 2011-12 Season Thread - The Long Goodbye.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Alaska Nanooks, 2011-12 Season Thread - The Long Goodbye.

In the Krach rankings, we are listed as having played the 7th hardest schedule in the country so far.

It's even more interesting that the CCHA has 8 teams in the top-10 strength of schedule rankings. The only non-CCHA teams in the top-10 for SOS are Boston College and Northeastern.

Goes to show you how stacked the CCHA is this year.
    “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
      In the Krach rankings, we are listed as having played the 7th hardest schedule in the country so far.

It's even more interesting that the CCHA has 8 teams in the top-10 strength of schedule rankings. The only non-CCHA teams in the top-10 for SOS are Boston College and Northeastern.

Goes to show you how stacked the CCHA is this year.
      Mens D1 on a whole is wide open, ther doesn't seem to be alot of difference between the elite teams and the bottom teams. I watched Duluth last weekend in Anchorage and on Friday they looked quicker and much better than UAA, but on Saturday UAA looked like the better team or at least equal. I think this year is wide open for some team to get hot and shake up the playoffs in any conference. Bowling Green is playing very well right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by birdman View Post
        Mens D1 on a whole is wide open, ther doesn't seem to be alot of difference between the elite teams and the bottom teams. I watched Duluth last weekend in Anchorage and on Friday they looked quicker and much better than UAA, but on Saturday UAA looked like the better team or at least equal. I think this year is wide open for some team to get hot and shake up the playoffs in any conference. Bowling Green is playing very well right now.
        Just look at our last two weekends...most people picked us to get swept by Notre Dame and WMU. We pasted the Irish the first night, and outplayed Western for five periods the following weekend.

I would not be at all surprised if a bottom-four team winds up in Detroit next month. Unfortunately most other conference teams have six conference games left while we only have four, so we are pretty much stuck in 10th unless we win all four and somebody in front of us has a sudden losing streak.
        “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

Comment

Nice win on Saturday, but with due respect to Lake State that was a sweep-able series and we were flat on Friday.

Since Lake State and Michigan State are both possible first round opponents, these last two weekends of conference play are handy in that they provide some potential scouting. With how the CCHA is this year we probably won't know our opponent until after the Anchorage series

Comment

Now we sit and wait (sort of) I don't think it matters much who we play of the four likely matchups: LSSU, OSU, NMU, and ND. In spite of our record, I think we are fairly even money with any of those teams if our defense can just quit making so many untimely turnovers. NMU is a black hole, but the law of averages must favor us.

I sure wish the coach would cut the guys loose on the PK. Let them go out and pressure the play more. With our PK, it's most likely a team is going to score anyway, so at least give Greenham a chance to see the puck. We pack it in so tight I'm surprised he can see anything.

But I guess first things first. Kick some Seapup butt.

Go Nooks!

Comment

We looked pretty good against LSSU and Notre Dame this season. OSU has been in something of a free-fall and could be vulnerable. I want nothing to do with NMU and Marquette.

So long as our opponent is one of the first three squads, I'll roll the dice and take our chances. Definitely no free lunch this year in the CCHA.

Originally posted by mmf View Post
              Now we sit and wait (sort of) I don't think it matters much who we play of the four likely matchups: LSSU, OSU, NMU, and ND. In spite of our record, I think we are fairly even money with any of those teams if our defense can just quit making so many untimely turnovers. NMU is a black hole, but the law of averages must favor us.

I sure wish the coach would cut the guys loose on the PK. Let them go out and pressure the play more. With our PK, it's most likely a team is going to score anyway, so at least give Greenham a chance to see the puck. We pack it in so tight I'm surprised he can see anything.

But I guess first things first. Kick some Seapup butt.

Go Nooks!

Comment

Bump.
                Updated Signature.

Except for about 10 minutes Friday night, the Nooks pretty much had their way with the Seapups. Although we were much faster and have more skill players, Friday night showed what can happen if you don't bring it all 60 minutes. This series, this year, should never have had to go to a shootout.

We travel to LSSU for the first round. Bring it for all 60 minutes and I like our chances. But if we continue to have some of the mental lapses we had during the regular season, or Greenham doesn't use a few of his good games that he has obviously been saving up, then we may pack it up early. But it seems we are playing some of our best hockey right now, so I think the boys can do some damage in the playoffs.

Go Nooks!

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post
                  Bump.
                  Updated Signature.

Except for about 10 minutes Friday night, the Nooks pretty much had their way with the Seapups. Although we were much faster and have more skill players, Friday night showed what can happen if you don't bring it all 60 minutes. This series, this year, should never have had to go to a shootout.

We travel to LSSU for the first round. Bring it for all 60 minutes and I like our chances. But if we continue to have some of the mental lapses we had during the regular season, or Greenham doesn't use a few of his good games that he has obviously been saving up, then we may pack it up early. But it seems we are playing some of our best hockey right now, so I think the boys can do some damage in the playoffs.

Go Nooks!
                  It's amazing to think about the season we could have had if we just had a few things go our way. But I agree, if we play the way we did on Saturday against UAA, then Lake State shouldn't be too difficult. I love that Henderson and Taranto are starting to step up, albeit a little late in the season but atleast they are starting to produce some good offense.

Comment

Lake State's not a bad road matchup for us. If we play like we did for 110 out of 120 minutes this weekend we have a good chance of advancing. If we don't, well, SSM is a long way from Alaska.

Comment

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel View Post
                      It's amazing to think about the season we could have had if we just had a few things go our way.
                      As Dallas succinctly said after the game last night, it's been an interesting season. If we had won a few of those early-season conference games we'd be right in the middle of it all.

Comment

Should be a great series between LSSU and UAF. I have a feeling the series will go three games.
                        LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

• Originally posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
                          Should be a great series between LSSU and UAF. I have a feeling the series will go three games.
                          Thanks to your goalie, sadly not.

This altogether sucks.

Comment

Scott Enders to ECHL Bakersfield.

Ronnie Meyers to ECHL Idaho.

And I haven't seen this anywhere else, but according to Woody's ADN blog, Aaron Gens is headed to AHL Lake Erie.

Comment

Scott Greenham is in Minneapolis for a tryout with the Minnesota Wild. Hope it goes well; if it does we might see him in uniform against the Flames tomorrow night.

Gens had a couple shots on goal and an even rating in his AHL debut last night.

Comment

This thread has less interest than facebook has satisfied investors.

But I did notice that UAF posted a vacancy announcement for Assistant Men's Ice Hockey Coach today. Anybody know anything?

Comment

Working...
                                X