UNH Wildcats 2011 - 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNH Wildcats 2011 - 2012

Just a little over 24 hours until UNH faces off in an exhibition game against the Ontario Hockey Academy. There are a lot of new faces on the team this year, and the rookies look poised to hop in and contribute right away.

Coach McCloskey has maintained a blog during the pre-season with some of his thoughts on the team thus far.

Check it out and get ready for a good season!

http://wildcatwomenshockey.wordpress.com/
    "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Re: UNH Wildcats 2011 - 2012

Well, why mess with tradition. I usually start the year by making a WAG at lines and defensive pairings, and everybody else pretends not to notice. So here goes...

O'Neill - Lavoie - Armstrong
    Kashman - Gifford - Horn
    Goloubef - Clark - Lascelle
    Mork - Kleinendorst - Stathopolous

Brock - Chappell
    Hunt - Bogan
    Ryan - Farris
    Broderick
    113-162-27 .419

252-113-40 .672

Comment

Originally posted by freak View Post
      I usually start the year by making a WAG at lines and defensive pairings, and everybody else pretends not to notice.
      I'll have to remember to check if any of these combos are still intact when your ladies come to town in November.

The last couple of times we've played have been shootouts -- no, not the kind of shootouts that you hate . If your scores down the stretch are any indication, I'm guessing that the Wildcats play things a little closer to the vest these days.
      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

That's assuming, of course, that I'm even remotely close with my guesses.

And yup, Ms. Minton will be a key factor in the team's success this year. Of the frosh netminders, I only know that Gilligan didn't appear to have a statistically great year in the PWHL.
        113-162-27 .419

252-113-40 .672

Comment

Well, why mess with tradition. I usually start the year by making a WAG at lines and defensive pairings, and everybody else pretends not to notice. So here goes...

O'Neill - Lavoie - Armstrong
          Kashman - Gifford - Horn
          Goloubef - Clark - Lascelle
          Mork - Kleinendorst - Stathopolous

Brock - Chappell
          Hunt - Bogan
          Ryan - Farris
          Broderick
          Going from memory....

Lavoie - O'Neill - Lascelle
          Armstrong - Gifford - Horn
          Goloubef/Kleinendorst? - Clark - Mork/Kashman?

Brock - Broderick
          Chappell - Farris
          Hunt - Bogan/Ryan?

Both frosh OHA alumni started. Intentional?

Interesting that Gilligan started over Minton. Is Minton the next Schoedel?
          113-162-27 .419

252-113-40 .672

Comment

Going from memory....

Lavoie - O'Neill - Lascelle
            Armstrong - Gifford - Horn
            Goloubef/Kleinendorst? - Clark - Mork/Kashman?

Brock - Broderick
            Chappell - Farris
            Hunt - Bogan/Ryan?

Both frosh OHA alumni started. Intentional?

Interesting that Gilligan started over Minton. Is Minton the next Schoedel?

Considering it was an exhibition against a clearly inferior team, I wouldn't look much into anything other than the fact that it probably was not a coincidence that both OHA alums started for UNH.

Comment

Well, the Wildcats are en route to Niagara to open the season. The roster is complete on the Wildcats website, and I'm about ready for some hockey!.
              Last edited by DC78-82; 10-03-2011, 02:36 PM.
              "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

Originally posted by DC78-82 View Post
                Well, the Wildcats are en route to Niagara to open the season. The roster is complete on the Wildcats website, and I'm about ready for some hockey!.
                According to the UNH game notes, UNH is 23-3-1 overall vs Niagara, undefeated in 18, and Niagara's 3 victories all came in the 2001/02 season! Wow! Good luck to the Purple Eagles! I too am ready for some hockey!

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleEagles View Post
                  According to the UNH game notes, UNH is 23-3-1 overall vs Niagara, undefeated in 18, and Niagara's 3 victories all came in the 2001/02 season! Wow! Good luck to the Purple Eagles! I too am ready for some hockey!
                  I still remember an epic battle between Pinelli and Huggon at the Whitt back in the 2000-2001 season, UNH won 3-2 in a game that saw Pinelli make 26 saves and Huggon 35. One of the best women's hockey games I've ever watched.
                  http://www.collegehockeystats.net/00...s/wniaunh1.n25
                  http://www.unhwildcats.com/stats/hockeyw/2000/1125.htm
                  "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
                  Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
                  NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
                  EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
                  AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
                  1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

Wildcats win 6-4 on goals by Heather Kashman, Nicole Gifford, Kristine Horn, Kristina Lavoie, Caroline Broderick and Hannah Armstrong.

Comment

Any idea if Minton will get the shot tomorrow?
                      113-162-27 .419

252-113-40 .672

Comment

Originally posted by Hux View Post
                        Wildcats win 6-4 on goals by Heather Kashman, Nicole Gifford, Kristine Horn, Kristina Lavoie, Caroline Broderick and Hannah Armstrong.
                        Nice to see the cats score some goals as it wasn't one of their strengths last year. Let's hope the trend continues!

Comment

Originally posted by Stick Boy View Post
                          Nice to see the cats score some goals as it wasn't one of their strengths last year. Let's hope the trend continues!
                          They are going to the net much better than they did last year. Kashman and Armstrong do a lot of dirty work down low, and overall the forwards seem to be doing more shooting from between the dots.

Comment

Another win for the Wildcats this afternoon by a score of 3-2 over Niagara. Nice start for the girls from Durham.

Comment

Originally posted by Stick Boy View Post
                              Another win for the Wildcats this afternoon by a score of 3-2 over Niagara. Nice start for the girls from Durham.

It was a good showing for the Wildcats, and definitely worth the trip. We have a young team this year, but the energy, both on the ice and of the more "ethereal" kind, is good. I was very impressed with puck movement across all lines and combinations, and despite this being the first weekend of the season, you can see that players are, as Coach McCurdy would put it, "On the same wavelength." The passing game was good, and after an anorexic 2010-2011 season offensively, this year's team looks hungry for the net. The posts took a lot of puck abuse, and it is sooooo good to see the 'Cats shoot!

There were, for sure, some breakdowns, and Niagara was ready, and, more than happy to capitalize, but despite the pressure that caused, the Cats maintained their composure and sealed the deal. The attack was balanced, and at times, relentless. Kristine Horn had an outstanding weekend.

It seemed like every person Ti Lavoie knew was in the house, and she gave them a worthy performance. The freshmen all looked very solid. Rookie "plays" can be expected, but they showed poise and hockey smarts, and I'm sure they learned a lot this weekend.

That said, there's still work to be done before Colgate and Syracuse come to town.

Comment

Working...
                              X