Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Irish Hockey: Straight Inta Compton

Originally posted by SwedishJustice22 View Post
    Looks like we are ranked #1 in the preseason polls. Thats a big number. Hopefully they take it by the horns and run with it. Ya know, kinda opposite of what the our mighty football team did with its high preseason ranking this year.
    Nice recognition to go along with the ranking is the pre-season all conference team inclusion of T.J. Tynan and Anders Lee. That said, I don't give a crap about accolades and recognition during the pre-season. I want accolades and recognition on April 7th. Drop the puck already!
    "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Question: Seeing as the lovely Calle is now a Bruin, how do I go about changing my USCHO name? Or do I have to sign up again?

On the other hand, I got goosebumps watching the boys take the ice via Facebook yesterday. See you all in 5 days!!
      Calle, Vilja du gifta sig med jag?
      Jesus saves but Ridderwall shoots and scores.

Comment

This was posted yesterday on warriorrinkrat.com

"2011

Notre Dame down to Hockey East, NCHC

At today's Notre Dame media day, head coach Jeff Jackson said the University is deciding between joining Hockey East or the newly formed National Collegiate Hockey Conference, stating that going independent is not an option for the Irish.

"We didn't want to be responsible for conferences breaking up," Jackson told reporters, "we were trying to get everybody to slow down."

Last month, I reported that sources close to Hockey East considered the Irish to be headed to the NCHC. That changed in recent weeks for undetermined reasons, but something heightened Notre Dame's interest in Hockey East, according to three sources familiar with the situation.

Sources have speculated that television rights are playing a significant role in Notre Dame's decision.

If Notre Dame joins Hockey East, the league will likely be open to adding a 12th team, sources have said."

The other pieces of information are that Hockey East has signed a TV deal with CBSCS and is on the verge of another TV deal. Also there would be 22 league games only with a 12 team conference freeing up 12 non-conference dates. RPI a two time national champion is the likely 12th team if UND accepts.

Comment

Part of the problems with all of the college hockey realignment talk is that whenever somebody with access to a computer thinks something, 10 other people with similar access run with it, and before you know it, there are suddenly sources everywhere who can confirm this, that, and everything else.

Just for kicks, lets assume Notre Dame joins Hockey East and RPI follows along and we have a 12 team league. In one of the envisioned scenarios this league will play a 22 game schedule, in true round-robin fashion, with home-and-home series against each of their conference-mates. How difficult would a schedule like this be as far as travel? Sure, we could double up on each road weekend fairly easily I guess, playing one night at BC, the next at BU. But what of the rest of the league. Can anyone see each of the other 11 teams taking on the kind of arduous travel schedule that playing us would require? No bus trips. No returning to campus a couple of hours after the game was over. Plane trips and hotel stays every time you play Notre Dame. Isn't Notre Dame nearly a thousand miles away from nearly all of these schools? If I'm a Hockey Eat fan, I'm asking why I'm giving up 2 or 3 home games against a teams I've built up rivalries with, that are all most likely easy enough to drive to, to play a game in South Bend that I cannot drive to.

While flying to away games is something many western teams have gotten used to, it would be a huge sea change for most of Hockey East. I think there are better options for Notre Dame to begin with. I can't see how any team in Hockey East would think there are more positives than negatives in an arrangement such as this.

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
            Part of the problems with all of the college hockey realignment talk is that whenever somebody with access to a computer thinks something, 10 other people with similar access run with it, and before you know it, there are suddenly sources everywhere who can confirm this, that, and everything else.

Just for kicks, lets assume Notre Dame joins Hockey East and RPI follows along and we have a 12 team league. In one of the envisioned scenarios this league will play a 22 game schedule, in true round-robin fashion, with home-and-home series against each of their conference-mates. How difficult would a schedule like this be as far as travel? Sure, we could double up on each road weekend fairly easily I guess, playing one night at BC, the next at BU. But what of the rest of the league. Can anyone see each of the other 11 teams taking on the kind of arduous travel schedule that playing us would require? No bus trips. No returning to campus a couple of hours after the game was over. Plane trips and hotel stays every time you play Notre Dame. Isn't Notre Dame nearly a thousand miles away from nearly all of these schools? If I'm a Hockey Eat fan, I'm asking why I'm giving up 2 or 3 home games against a teams I've built up rivalries with, that are all most likely easy enough to drive to, to play a game in South Bend that I cannot drive to.

While flying to away games is something many western teams have gotten used to, it would be a huge sea change for most of Hockey East. I think there are better options for Notre Dame to begin with. I can't see how any team in Hockey East would think there are more positives than negatives in an arrangement such as this.
            Hockey East Commissioner Joe Bertagna has said that the 2013-2014 schedule has not been completed yet because of the possibility of new teams being added. Usually by this time a league schedule is done. As far as a schedule goes for Notre Dame I would assume they would follow along with Maine and Vermont and host a team twice in a weekend and the following year they would return the favor by playing twice away. To balance a home and away schedule there would probably be a selected team to play a home and home with. I would imagine for Notre Dame that would be BC. Vermont could do it with RPI or UMass and Maine and UNH could do it as well. Or some teams could be paired to play twice in one location rotating years too. Another way to do it would be to schedule a nonconference game such as Bowling Green or Western Michigan or Michigan when teams travel to Notre Dame and Notre Dame could easily play different teams on the same weekend when in New England. For everyone else it is just one flight a year anyway so it is no big deal to Hockey East teams who would enjoy playing in South Bend every year or every other year. Hockey East fans are actually tired of playing some teams 3 times a year and then again in the playoffs. All college hockey would benefit by the big boys playing fewer league games.

Comment

Originally posted by BC/HE View Post
              All college hockey would benefit by the big boys playing fewer league games.
              Definitely agree with this. I'd like to see conference schedules 20-24 games, with 10-14 OOC games.

The only drawback is scheduling becoming more and more like football or basketball, with the power teams all but refusing to play games at a smaller conference team's barn, and playing the vast majority of your non-conference slate at home. When does Michigan play an OOC football game on the road, except every other year in South Bend? How many non-conference basketball games does Notre Dame play on the road?

I can envision a day in the future where Notre Dame plays 10 non conference games and 6 would be here, 2 would be in one of the in-season tournaments, and 2 are true road games. At least in the present scheduling model, most teams play a fairly equal home/road split.

Comment

Definitely agree with this. I'd like to see conference schedules 20-24 games, with 10-14 OOC games.

The only drawback is scheduling becoming more and more like football or basketball, with the power teams all but refusing to play games at a smaller conference team's barn, and playing the vast majority of your non-conference slate at home. When does Michigan play an OOC football game on the road, except every other year in South Bend? How many non-conference basketball games does Notre Dame play on the road?

I can envision a day in the future where Notre Dame plays 10 non conference games and 6 would be here, 2 would be in one of the in-season tournaments, and 2 are true road games. At least in the present scheduling model, most teams play a fairly equal home/road split.
                I think in today's college hockey conference landscape that the only hope to have anywhere near the number of NC games that you desire is the NCHC and also have an autobid into the NCAA tournament. Personally I'd be quite happy with a 9 team NCHC with ND in the mix and with some clever scheduling agreement that would maximize OOC games for everyone in the conference.
                DU Pioneer Hockey. National Champions: 1958, 1960, 1961, 1968, 1969, 2004, 2005
                sigpic
                WCHA arenas I have visited: Magness, Kohl, Sullivan, National Hockey Center, DECC, Cleveland Steamer World Arena (CSWA)

Thanks for your friendship Jimbo!!!

Comment

Originally posted by co14ers View Post
                  I think in today's college hockey conference landscape that the only hope to have anywhere near the number of NC games that you desire is the NCHC and also have an autobid into the NCAA tournament. Personally I'd be quite happy with a 9 team NCHC with ND in the mix and with some clever scheduling agreement that would maximize OOC games for everyone in the conference.
                  I know a number of Irish fans (me included) who are hoping for this. I've thought about a schedule for a 9 team league, 20 games, with 4 games each against the two teams each is closest to, and 2 apiece against the others.

Comment

http://redskinwarriors.com/

Redskin Warriors has received an unconfirmed report that Notre Dame and RPI are moving to Hockey East in 2013.

Our source with credible access to the ongoing talks tells us the Irish will take their talents east, and along with the Engineers of RPI will become the 11th and 12th members respectively, of Hockey East. If true, it could also signal Notre Dame’s intent to join the ACC for all other sports as the rest of the collegiate athletic world undergoes the same sort of seismic shift as hockey. And, for certain it’s a coup for Hockey East to land the last remaining free agent gem in the Fighting Irish.

For Notre Dame, this move makes sense. They would become conference mates with longtime rival, and Catholic college brethren, Boston College as well as Providence and Merrimack who also don the cloth.

For RPI, well, what an opportunity. They will be reunited with former ECAC rivals and this ties nicely to their reemergence on the college hockey scene as young head coach Seth Appert has the Engineers headed in the right direction. Their travel costs won’t rise and their sense of prestige and strength of schedule will certainly improve.

In the meantime, we’ll try to gain confirmation and will update this story as we can.

NU

2008 NCAA Tournament
                    2005-6 CHA RS Champs
                    2006-7 CHA RS Champs
                    2004 NCAA Tournament
                    2004 CHA Champs
                    2000 NCAA Tournament

Comment

Originally posted by eagle70 View Post

Redskin Warriors has received an unconfirmed report that Notre Dame and RPI are moving to Hockey East in 2013.
                      This is what I would have guessed as well, you would have thought if ND was really going to join the NCHC they would have done so already.

Comment

This has already happened. When was the last time Michigan hockey played a road nonconference game outside of the Showcase? Or Minnesota?
                        Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
                        Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
                          This is what I would have guessed as well, you would have thought if ND was really going to join the NCHC they would have done so already.
                          You would have thought that if ND was really going to join Hockey East, they would have done so already too.

I think something involving TV has been the hang-up, though I suppose that on the Hockey East end, the issue could be the identity of team #12 and on the NCHC end the hang-up could have been the addition of WMU.
                          Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
                          Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

Originally posted by Craig P. View Post
                            This has already happened. When was the last time Michigan hockey played a road nonconference game outside of the Showcase? Or Minnesota?
                            Outside of the showcase, Minnesota played @ Ohio State in October of 2006. The last non-Big Ten team they played on the road was January of 2005 @ Boston University.

Michigan played @ New Hampshire last season.
                            North Dakota
                            National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by eagle70 View Post

Our source with credible access to the ongoing talks tells us the Irish will take their talents east, and along with the Engineers of RPI will become the 11th and 12th members respectively, of Hockey East. If true, it could also signal Notre Dame’s intent to join the ACC for all other sports as the rest of the collegiate athletic world undergoes the same sort of seismic shift as hockey. And, for certain it’s a coup for Hockey East to land the last remaining free agent gem in the Fighting Irish.
                              Part of the problems with all of the college hockey realignment talk is that whenever somebody with access to a computer thinks something, 10 other people with similar access run with it, and before you know it, there are suddenly sources everywhere who can confirm this, that, and everything else. Where have I read this before...?

What I wouldn't give for just one of these "credible sources" or "unconfirmed reports" to come with a name.

Notre Dame may join Hockey East. We already have a credible source that says they are joining either HE or the NCHC. Jeff Jackson. As for that destination being some sort of a signal that Notre Dame will be joining the ACC, that's laughable. Notre Dame will do for the football program whatever it feels delivers the most money. There isn't another sport played here that will have any bearing on that outcome. And most of the rest of the athletic department will be along for the ride. This is especially true for hockey in that not one of the 31 D1 conferences sponsors hockey. In fact because of this, hockey can be as independent (oops, should not use that word) as the football program. There is no cross consideration between football and hockey that is playing into this decision.

In fact the factor I think will play the biggest part in all of this is, and one that never seems to be discussed, is whether or not Notre Dame thinks they can be successful recruiting in areas that they have not focused on. Right now, we don't recruit New England, New York or the Eastern seaboard at all, and generally have just one or two players from Canada . We have a grand total of one player on the roster from a New England state, and his dad was one of Notre Dame's all-time greats. HE schools recruit heavily from New England, with a healthy dose of Canadian players in the mix at some of the institutions. If Notre Dame wishes to compete in this league they'll have to completely change their recruiting model. This is one of the big factors in my hopes of ending up in the NCHC.

Comment

What I wouldn't give for just one of these "credible sources" or "unconfirmed reports" to come with a name.
                                He's a Miami poster on here, maybe if you ask nicely

Sure you guys have seen this already, but it breaks everything down pretty well - all about TV

Link

Comment

Working...
                                X